Author Topic: 11 June 1982 - QEII arrives at Southampton with Falklands survivors (QE2)  (Read 2550 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 04:45 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris Hodges

Never seen the videos before, only photographs, however I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was an 8 yr old boy stood on the quayside waiting for my dad to come home from war.

He had volunteered to sail down with the ship to look after the troops and "do his bit" for queen and country.
I have some amazing photos that I’d love to share sometime, but this is one of the coming homes that will live with me forever .... a very special day.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018, 04:45 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Never seen the videos before, only photographs, however I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was an 8 yr old boy stood on the quayside waiting for my dad to come home from war.
He had volunteered to sail down with the ship to look after the troops and ‘do his bit’’ for queen and country.
I have some amazing photos that I’d love to share sometime, but this is one of the coming homes that will live with me forever.... a very special day.

The videos seem very vivid - like stepping back in time.  I was 9 at the time, and even just watching on TV from Glasgow was very aware of it all, can't imagine what it would have been like knowing my Dad was aboard.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Here is a pic that a friend sent me.

Offline Twynkle

Hi Rod

Thank you so much for this.
I'm still in awe that so many crew did volunteer to sail with her down South.
It could have been quite 'scary' as such
Off topic, a bit - were you aware at the time that you'd be kept away from the action (aka S Georgia?)?

Sending v many best regards ;)
and delighted to know I've not been banned - Yet, anyway :)
Rosie

Offline Rod

Originally, we were told that we would be going into San Carlos. ie bomb alley. There was even a Royal Marine Major, "Mad Mike" whose job was to plan the off load of the troops. That was cancelled, I was told, by same "Mad Mike", because the Brit public would stand the loss of Canberra, but not the QE2. There was also the replacement cost to consider as well. Mike was terribly disappointed. He was going to go and be "beachmaster". Remember Kenneth Moore in The Longest Day?
Then other info reached the powers that be in the MOD that Galterieri had said get the QE2 at all costs. They even sent a "bomber" to attack us, if you could call a C-130 Herculese a bomber, and rolling the bombs down the cargo ramp bombing? So it was decided that QE2 would up stakes and go. We were in the middle of a boiler clean when we got the word to go.

Captain G E Smith (12 June 1969)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 2763
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
by Lynda Bradford
June 2021 : QE2's last voyages including the last transatlantic voyage

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 1
Views: 709
Last post Jun 13, 2021, 11:09 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
June 2022 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 331
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 10:36 AM
by Lynda Bradford
28 June 1977 - International Fleet Review in the Solent

Started by Bob C.Board 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 14
Views: 8735
Last post Feb 09, 2019, 11:55 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel - June 2022

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 37
Views: 2507
Last post Sep 16, 2022, 07:09 PM
by Thomas Hypher