Author Topic: QE2 Dry Docking March 2018  (Read 70448 times)

Offline Oceanic

Re: QE2 Dry Docking March 2018
« Reply #165 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Yes, I find it poignant and it has a "finality" to it as well as a former passenger and as my favourite ship since a young child. This is partly why I'd find a visit surreal too. Although her sailing days ended years ago from a regulations point of view alone.
Returning to QE2 will be strange for all of us who do decide to make the long trek to Dubai; I myself will probably find it a little eerie to be onboard without the rhythmic thrum of her trusty diesels. I imagine people who sailed on the Queen Mary during her career feel a similar way when visiting her in Long Beach. Still, I plan to fly out there with my family to see just how much of that splendid character remains!
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #166 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Returning to QE2 will be strange for all of us who do decide to make the long trek to Dubai; I myself will probably find it a little eerie to be onboard without the rhythmic thrum of her trusty diesels. I imagine people who sailed on the Queen Mary during her career feel a similar way when visiting her in Long Beach. Still, I plan to fly out there with my family to see just how much of that splendid character remains!

I'll miss her other unique, "living" sounds too but like you can't wait to see her again and what she's like now.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #167 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:30 PM »
I too am sad about her ever lengthening distance from being operable...I was distraught when they started cutting holes in Britannia (so we could see her engines) or cutting the ground power plugs from Concorde...it just diminishes the original purpose of the object...

Having said all that I am pleased she's being saved and prepared for a new life...we are in Dubai 5-8 May, what are our chances of staying on QE2?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #168 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:32 PM »
I too am sad about her ever lengthening distance from being operable...I was distraught when they started cutting holes in Britannia (so we could see her engines) or cutting the ground power plugs from Concorde...it just diminishes the original purpose of the object...

Having said all that I am pleased she's being saved and prepared for a new life...we are in Dubai 5-8 May, what are our chances of staying on QE2?

Several sources (including the people running her) are saying she'll open in April, 3rd week...
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #169 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:01 PM »
Several sources (including the people running her) are saying she'll open in April, 3rd week...
I wonder whether they are setting aside any space for a play area/nursery since we are planning on taking Ruby when we visit, it would be incredibly useful...

On that note, did QE2 ever have an area for children? I wasn't a parent the last time I was onboard so I can't say I cared to look.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #170 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:12 PM »
I wonder whether they are setting aside any space for a play area/nursery since we are planning on taking Ruby when we visit, it would be incredibly useful...

On that note, did QE2 ever have an area for children? I wasn't a parent the last time I was onboard so I can't say I cared to look.

Yes she had the Nursery on Sun Deck as I remember from my early voyages (had a route to the bridge) but I'm not sure it'll be used for this purpose as it was quite out of the way. The teen club was on Quarter Deck but was a small room. I don't know what provision they'll have now though. The last I heard was the Nursery was cleared and cleaned if I am remembering correctly...

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #171 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Yes she had the Nursery on Sun Deck as I remember from my early voyages (had a route to the bridge) but I'm not sure it'll be used for this purpose as it was quite out of the way. The teen club was on Quarter Deck but was a small room. I don't know what provision they'll have now though. The last I heard was the Nursery was cleared and cleaned if I am remembering correctly...
Ah, it probably isn't going to retained if it was in an inconvenient spot; hotels generally like to have nurseries fairly close to the main lobby. I do hope they include a space, it's nice for children to be able to have somewhere to play, even if it's not extensive.

Thanks for the nursery information Thomas, trying to plan a holiday around a baby is quite tiring so knowing she at least had facilities at one point is reassuring!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #172 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:26 PM »
Don't get me wrong , I wish & earnestly hope that QE2 Hotel has a real successful career, it has been toooo long coming, to the victor belong the spoils as they say, this is your turn Dubai , you'd better do it well!!

Indeed ! I always said l would never set foot in Dubai , let alone to see QE2 when she was there. And i see no reason to change my thinking.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #173 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:20 AM »
I too understand why these things are being done to QE2, but it really was wrenching when her lifeboats and davits were removed.  But it was a blow to the stomach when her propellers were removed.

All of that said, I am so very thankful that a new life is in the offing for our beloved ship !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #174 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Same. I just can't get used to this boatless Boat Deck and if it's permanent I think it's a nonsense and a mistake. Strolling on a lifeboat covered promenade deck is inseparable from the experience of sailing on a liner. So an empty Boat Deck conveys nothing, resembles nothing and doesn't belong to the real QE2.

Unless… my only hope is that they've been temporarily removed to compensate weight after the removal of the propellers and other stuff, otherwise she might be too top-heavy for the return trip from the dry dock.

But maybe it's just me dreaming.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #175 on: Mar 26, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #176 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Famed QE2 ship now hiring staff, begins conversion to hotel at Dubai drydock

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/travel-hospitality/392745-famed-qe2-ship-now-hiring-staff-begins-conversion-to-hotel-at-dubai-drydock

There was a photo poster thing going around on Facebook back in January with PCFC advertising jobs aboard, and recruitment plus training has been underway for a number of weeks already apparently.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2018, 03:37 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #177 on: Mar 26, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Crew are all hired already the join the ship after the dry dock

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #178 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Selection of photos here

https://instagram.com/p/Bgyl369B1fV
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #179 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Rob
Thank you for posting.
What do you think those whitish 'things' are beyond the chain?
They look heavy!
Rosie

Dry Docking 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 1420
Last post May 17, 2023, 08:22 PM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 Hotel Status (as of 25th October 2018)

Started by Louis De SousaBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 1
Views: 482
Last post Oct 25, 2018, 03:37 PM
by June Ingram
23 May 2018 - #MitchellCurious: Ships and Shipbuilding

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1258
Last post Apr 28, 2018, 12:05 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Newsletter March 2015

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters