Author Topic: QE2 Dry Docking March 2018  (Read 70447 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2 Dry Docking March 2018
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Will QE2 be stable sitting so high out of the water ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Sunday 18th March 2018 around 4pm QE2 will make her entrance to the Dry Dock at the Dubai Dry Docks...   

While this all sounds like great news, cant help but think that the Public Relations team or Marketing team (one assumes they have such people ::) ) are missing out , hire a drone get some overhead shots or something, Heck do anything to announce this to the world , build up some hype.. The Hotel QE2 is coming soon....

Who can forget ther hype surrounding the Queen Elizabeth (The new one) Those lucky enough to see the preview tours were greeted with a large sign "The wait is over"  some of us quietly breathed Thank god for that... 
One cant help but think, All credit to Davina for obtaining such information, photos etc  , BUT at the end of the day we cannot escape the fact , had it not been for an Ex Barman and some hidden photos showing nothing more than new carpets and new lights, we would all be totally blind to what is going on.   

If this is how they promote  (or not as the case maybe )QE2, what hope is there if or when for the Gala reopening .
Please tell me lm wrong in my way of thinking ? :-\

Heck they should hire Flagship from on here for an hour, he could do more in that hour than they have done in nearly ten years !!!!
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:44 PM »

I would've thought so given her normal stability margin was probably far better than some modern cruise ships (based on how she handled the freak listing events), however her ballast system will no longer be functional (partly for the software reason and mainly due to not being used). Maybe Michael or Louis can shed more light on this aspect, or anyone else more knowledgeable for that matter?

Also she's been stable alongside for nearly 2 years in all weather such as the high winds/sandstorms (minus the lifeboats/tenders and davits - some of the major bits of weight removed from around mid 2016) and they will have assessed her stability on the short tows there and back, and whether to more permanently dock her at her new home (like SS Rotterdam is with stanchions/bollards, for example).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Scott Ebersold

Re: QE2 Dry Docking 2018
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Sunday 18th March 2018 around 4pm QE2 will make her entrance to the Dry Dock at the Dubai Dry Docks...

I hope there is a way to watch the process!

Offline Chris Hodges

« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I hope there is a way to watch the process!
That would be great... lets hope someone is nearby recording it.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:07 PM »
If the tugs details are known they could be tracked on marinetraffic

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Hopefully we have pictures..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:58 PM »
While this all sounds like great news, cant help but think that the Public Relations team or Marketing team (one assumes they have such people ::) ) are missing out , hire a drone get some overhead shots or something, Heck do anything to announce this to the world , build up some hype.. The Hotel QE2 is coming soon....

Its not happened yet.  Maybe they will.  And if I was them, I'd wait until she's coming OUT - i.e. shiny and freshly  painted!!

Who can forget ther hype surrounding the Queen Elizabeth (The new one) Those lucky enough to see the preview tours were greeted with a large sign "The wait is over"  some of us quietly breathed Thank god for that... 

UAE / Dubai works rather differently...

One cant help but think, All credit to Davina for obtaining such information, photos etc  , BUT at the end of the day we cannot escape the fact , had it not been for an Ex Barman and some hidden photos showing nothing more than new carpets and new lights, we would all be totally blind to what is going on.   
Full credit to Louis for what he's achieved with his perseverance over the years - including his latest scoop about the forthcoming dry docking  However even without any contacts at all, we'd still know much of what we know (with the exception of the interior photos) because she's in full view of everyone now, with an increasing number of lights on, surrounded by her cut-off lifeboats, with a new entrance terminal building (holding public events) - and a new website. Also the PCFC Hotels contact I made a couple of years ago, and was speaking to them then (although they only spoke back in limited ways - and via linked in you could figure out a large number of their staff and roughly what they were up to...

If this is how they promote  (or not as the case maybe )QE2, what hope is there if or when for the Gala reopening .
Please tell me lm wrong in my way of thinking ? :-\
The current operators have said nothing.  They haven't misled us, they haven't cancelled or aborted plans.  They've just kept quiet and been consistently professional.  Not in the manner of business in the West maybe, but arguably a better approach than their predecessors...

Heck they should hire Flagship from on here for an hour, he could do more in that hour than they have done in nearly ten years !!!!

Now that I agree with.  THE Cunard historian.  THE QE2 Expert - who better to relaunch QE2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:01 PM »
That would be great... lets hope someone is nearby recording it.

Hope so! (but there wasn't the last two times!)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I would've thought so given her normal stability margin was probably far better than some modern cruise ships (based on how she handled the freak listing events), however her ballast system will no longer be functional (partly for the software reason and mainly due to not being used). Maybe Michael or Louis can shed more light on this aspect, or anyone else more knowledgeable for that matter?

Also she's been stable alongside for nearly 2 years in all weather such as the high winds/sandstorms (minus the lifeboats/tenders and davits - some of the major bits of weight removed from around mid 2016) and they will have assessed her stability on the short tows there and back, and whether to more permanently dock her at her new home (like SS Rotterdam is with stanchions/bollards, for example).

Her previous Dubai project manager described her as being "very top heavy" which surprised me because, as you say, I'd have thought she was far less top heavy than any other "cruise ship".

Regarding ballasting - even not as a ship any more - I'd assume they need to keep a certain amount of ballast adjustment capability.  Even Queen Mary in Long Beach can still do this when required.  I'm sure I read the Rotterdam can too. 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:05 PM »

Thanks!  How exciting.  This could be the last time she's drydocked for a very long time indeed - I think for the Royal Yacht they're aiming for 15 years between dry dockings.

4pm Dubai time is midday UK time.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Her previous Dubai project manager described her as being "very top heavy" which surprised me because, as you say, I'd have thought she was far less top heavy than any other "cruise ship".

Regarding ballasting - even not as a ship any more - I'd assume they need to keep a certain amount of ballast adjustment capability.  Even Queen Mary in Long Beach can still do this when required.  I'm sure I read the Rotterdam can too.

Queen Mary had her tanks (maybe including those for ballast) filled with local mud (which is of a clay type) as part of her 1967 to 1971 "conversion" as part of their attempts to restore some of the weight of the removed machinery etc, so I'm not sure she maintains the ability (not to mention being neglected until recently with the structural and mechanical consequences). SS Rotterdam actively ballasts still, depending on the tide on the River Maas - from what I've heard. I don't know if QE2 needs to adjust ballast anymore and if she does they must've been doing that for some time now (alongside the old terminal building).

When was her previous project manager onboard? Before the removal of the lifeboats/tenders and davits etc etc? If so I find that very hard to believe as she would've been in a similar state (albeit not as loaded up with stores etc) to when in service with Cunard and a top heavy ship does not make a good ocean liner, particularly in a North Atlantic hurricane! One of the reasons for the deep draft too! She was also a good "roller" unlike Queen Mary before her stabilisers (I know QE2 had the stabilisers to help though), she pitched more than anything in rough weather from personal experience (I travelled up and down my bunk bed in a bow section cabin between rushing to the bathroom - my bunk bed was parallel to her side at that point) - with little rolling, that may or may not indicate being top heavy.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2018, 08:52 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:43 PM »

Everthing is been planned in detail,it will all be ok

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Hopefully we have pictures..

I have a contact within the Dry Docks lets see what he can get

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:46 PM »

Great to have a date! All in good time  :)

Dry Docking 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 1420
Last post May 17, 2023, 08:22 PM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 Hotel Status (as of 25th October 2018)

Started by Louis De SousaBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 1
Views: 482
Last post Oct 25, 2018, 03:37 PM
by June Ingram
23 May 2018 - #MitchellCurious: Ships and Shipbuilding

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1258
Last post Apr 28, 2018, 12:05 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Newsletter March 2015

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters