Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Scotsman 03.03.18 : Queen Mary might sink  (Read 1942 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The Scotsman 03.03.18 : Queen Mary might sink
« on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Historic liner Queen Mary could sink due to lack of repairs

Saturday 03 March 2018
Fresh fears have been raised for the future of one of Scotland’s most historic ocean liners, the RMS Queen Mary, after a marine engineering expert warned that the beleaguered ship is rusting and taking on water with urgent repair and maintenance work not being carried out.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/historic-liner-queen-mary-could-sink-due-to-lack-of-repairs-1-4700117
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2018, 08:52 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Re: The Scotsman : Queen Mary might sink
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Just painting the bits that show is not enough apparently!

Offline Robbo

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:30 PM »
A visit to The Queen Mary is on my "To Do List" I had better move it up the list pronto !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:43 PM »
A visit to The Queen Mary is on my "To Do List" I had better move it up the list pronto !

You need to do it.  I did it in 1997, and it was a total dream come true for me.  You'll also find that she reminds you a lot of QE2 in places!

Online Pete Hamill

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:06 PM »
My visit was in 2016.
Absolutely fantastic.

She certainly needed attention at that point which she now looks to be getting.

I did notice water lying in the bilge when I did the below decks tour.

Online Oceanic

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:08 PM »
While the Mary was left in a dire state for a long period of time by her previous tenants, Urban Commons is taking action against the structural decay that plagues QM; from what I've heard and seen the ship is undergoing extensive rust conversion treatment and the standing water in the lowest areas of the hull is being actively dealt with. QM was left in a deep rut after the many failed renovations over the years, she is receiving more attention now than she has in a long time and is showing improvement for it.
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I was there on Sunday for her brunch,and dragged along 2 friends from LA who had never been there.
The Queen Mary was packed, the brunch was as always stunning, my two friends were bowled over not only by the food, but the quality and presentation and eveything was fresh. the tops ups were unstoppable . They raved about the experience all the time we were there. The Commodore who is a good friend was surprised to see me so soon after the last trip, the two ladies were questioned how l knew him, and might we be able to get a photo with him, I told them, Dont worry he will pop past later.

Sure enough he stopped past, the ladies were simply stunned, they were hanging of his arms, and very excited. l spoke with Everette , they have great plans for the ship, the new hull painting has caused  agreat stir along with the painted Funnel. Its put a breath of fresh air into Queen Mary.

After brunch l took the ladies on a whirlwind tour of Queen Mary, they were simply astounded. They wanted to know the price. l told them it was $59.99 plus tax and they were amazed at the value and thought it stunningly good value (it is !!!)  but you pay $8 parking which l think isnt fair bit thats how it is
When we came to leave they were both saying that they need to visit again to see everything in more details and our 5 hrs wasnt enough.It wasnt !

For me the Brunch is just a regular thing l do each visit, its still a beautiful presentation, with great food quality and consistantly voted the best brunch in Southern California.l keep telling them raise the price, its way to cheap for the experience offered.

Given the Chruchill film and its Oscar winning performance by the Actor (i forget his name)  There was hushed talk of a sequal, with  filming onboard ! (you read that here first !)   
There is a Churchill Experience display onboard but time didnt allow us to see that.
But as l keep saying , "Come Visit Long Beach and see Queen Mary, shes living there " 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Oceanic

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:58 PM »
I was there on Sunday for her brunch,and dragged along 2 friends from LA who had never been there.
The Queen Mary was packed, the brunch was as always stunning, my two friends were bowled over not only by the food, but the quality and presentation and eveything was fresh. the tops ups were unstoppable . They raved about the experience all the time we were there. The Commodore who is a good friend was surprised to see me so soon after the last trip, the two ladies were questioned how l knew him, and might we be able to get a photo with him, I told them, Dont worry he will pop past later.

Sure enough he stopped past, the ladies were simply stunned, they were hanging of his arms, and very excited. l spoke with Everette , they have great plans for the ship, the new hull painting has caused  agreat stir along with the painted Funnel. Its put a breath of fresh air into Queen Mary.

After brunch l took the ladies on a whirlwind tour of Queen Mary, they were simply astounded. They wanted to know the price. l told them it was $59.99 plus tax and they were amazed at the value and thought it stunningly good value (it is !!!)  but you pay $8 parking which l think isnt fair bit thats how it is
When we came to leave they were both saying that they need to visit again to see everything in more details and our 5 hrs wasnt enough.It wasnt !

For me the Brunch is just a regular thing l do each visit, its still a beautiful presentation, with great food quality and consistantly voted the best brunch in Southern California.l keep telling them raise the price, its way to cheap for the experience offered.

Given the Chruchill film and its Oscar winning performance by the Actor (i forget his name)  There was hushed talk of a sequal, with  filming onboard ! (you read that here first !)   
There is a Churchill Experience display onboard but time didnt allow us to see that.
But as l keep saying , "Come Visit Long Beach and see Queen Mary, shes living there "
Good to see the Brunch is as excellent as ever onboard!  :)

Offline dellboy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:59 AM »
sorry posted this on Longbeach thread... but it was over a week ago 
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018, 12:15 PM by dellboy »
QE2 Story the go-to place for all things QE2

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:56 PM »
The February report mentioned is here

http://www.lbreport.com/news/mar18/qm1.htm

Offline Robbo

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2019, 06:58 PM »
I'm off to Long Beach this month ...two nights booked on The Queen Mary ....can't wait!

Online Oceanic

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 08:56 PM »
I'm off to Long Beach this month ...two nights booked on The Queen Mary ....can't wait!
Hope you enjoy your stay; QM is a real gem, even in her (very) old age!  :)