Author Topic: Mr Chui is still talking about QE2  (Read 2130 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Mr Chui is still talking about QE2
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Surprised to read this this morning.  I thought Oceanic's involvement had ended years ago.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/fun-is-serious-business-for-oceanics-chui
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 10:01 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Re: Mr Chui is still talking about QE2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Mr Chui seems less certain about when QE2 would appear in our waters, saying a lot depends on DP World, which owns the iconic ship.

Recent reports in the Middle East media suggest that there has been stepped-up activity around the 50-year-old vessel. "We do have plans to bring her down to Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo for three years at a time," he says. "But it is anyone's guess. Perhaps we could bring her over in 2020."

Discuss!

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Is it just me, or does it sound rather impractical after all the conversion work that has been done to tow her anywhere apart from a dry dock visit.

Offline dellboy

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Seems to tie in with my suspicions  https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7809.msg88121.html#msg88121 Probably after Dubies 2020 EXPO but personally, I hope the plans go pear-shaped like before.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 11:55 AM by dellboy »
QE2 Story the go-to place for all things QE2

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Dubai and DP World wouldn't want her moving around. She is in Dubai permanently unless sold for scrap and towed away in the process. The conversion has been for a static hotel and museum not suitable for moving around from place to place (given how much of her is ashore now for example). I think the article is wishful thinking from a journalist who wants QE2 in their country and other places (who wouldn't?  ;) ) and Mr Chui has absolutely no idea either way due to no longer being involved with her (DP World taking direct ownership as the parent company when she was in cold layup in the Dubai World Drydocks shipyard back in 2015 as I understand it). Also as Bob said above and other members have said elsewhere on the forum, towing is impractical, expensive, and overly risky. She will never move under her own power again either.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 11:48 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline dellboy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:58 AM »
If I remember correctly Dubai asked the QE2 Story how best to move the artwork on a world tour. the artwork could be auctioned off separately.

Dubai did pay $100 million for a 40yrd ship so perhaps they are willing to enter into another deal with Oceanic to overcome the problems of moving her just to save face.

Dubai could sell QE2 to a buyer who will keep her in Dubai.       
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 02:24 PM by dellboy »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:41 PM »
If I remember correctly Dubai asked the QE2 Story how best to move the artwork on a world tour. the artwork could be auctioned off separately.   

I don't understand what you're referring to... Can you elaborate a bit?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline dellboy

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:49 PM »
The forum is so vast it is getting difficult to locate a pacific post or posts and I may not have worded it right or remember correctly but I'll have a look and get back to you.

It goes back to qe2's timeline somewhere in 2011- 2012 when the Oceanic deal fell through. Questions on QE2's scrap value and the artwork to go on a possible world tour.           
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 01:45 PM by dellboy »

Offline dellboy

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I don't understand what you're referring to... Can you elaborate a bit?

Came across this from Re:
Appeal for QE2 Fan Feedback on Notable Memorabilia dated Nov 20, 2013, from. https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=5749.msg58106#msg58106
At least I think that's what I was referring to it was 5 years ago.

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2018, 04:30 AM »
The article reads like an apologia for a businessman who would have, if he could have. Remember when Oceanic didn't have the cash flow to pay its workers stationed on the QE2 IIRC.
But there is something in me to say that he's back in the picture.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2018, 06:29 AM by Greg Rudd »

Offline dellboy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Mr. Chui may or may not be back but it does say on the hotel website that they are looking for "partners"

I'm just curious that the QE2 and her heritage memorabilia are two separate entities freeing them up to sell QE2 later as a going concern possibly after expo 2020 as opposed to a dead ship.The new owner's "partners" could keep her in Dubai.

It was five years ago so perhaps things have changed.     

Ever since Oceanic were offered QE2 for sale ten years after QE2 was to be moved to China as part of their partnership with Dubai it was clear Dubai no-longer want the ship

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2018, 11:41 AM by dellboy »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2018, 09:49 AM »
I don't think Mr. Chui has anything to do with QE2 now, and i think he was all talk in the first place.

I think the current team have taken the view that in order to be a success, QE2 needs to be fresh and fairly modern, and have efficient spaces, and not be too cluttered with museum items.  The fact that they've done that while preserving her original layout and rooms is wonderful.

There are comments from non qe2 fans on social media asking why anyone would want to stay on an old worn out ship that can't go anywhere, their fresh interiors should help fix that view.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2018, 08:53 PM »
  There are comments from non qe2 fans on social media asking why anyone would want to stay on an old worn out ship that can't go anywhere, their fresh interiors should help fix that view.   

I remember when l stayed onboard Queen Mary , in the Queen Mary suite, l took a tour , l mentioned to the tour guide where l was staying and why not show them inside , he thought it a great idea, most of the group loved what they saw, a few were stunned by the bathrooms, l took delight in telling them people had been washing their faces in that sink for over 80 years, some got "it" but alas some did not get "it"   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!