Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Robbo

Re: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:49 PM »
It's all very interesting
I think the picture between ads should state "The Worlds Greatest Liner" and not "The Worlds Greatest Cruise Ship"

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I do hope to watch it some day, I would love to hear the stories of some whom I have met at the conference, but also maybe seeing video's of the conference again. :)

Sadly all program's broadcasted outside The Netherlands is not something that I can watch due to it all being blocked from the originating country. Really glad to be in the UK again this June for holiday :)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:04 PM »
I like it, she'll come through the bad bits intact  she did after all come through the bad bits didn't she...

some lovely film of the launch from on board never seen that before, also some lovely stills
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 09:09 PM by pete cain »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I'm very unhappy about the comments about the Clydebank workers, which I firmly believe to be hugely exaggerated by Cunard staff over the years.

Apart from that it's good so far, with many of our friends featured.
Passionate about QE2 for 35 years.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:14 PM »
 You are absolutely correct Rob, however it's the same old well aired crap re cycled for a new audience, it'll be forgotten by tomorrows breakfast  .  That QE2 thing however   whatever it is will always prevail

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:29 PM »
I liked the archived footage of the ship and overall the documentary was okay, but could have been better with more QE2 enthusiasts and less Cunard people. 

Some of the statements being made were not backed up any evidence. 

Cunard PR Man mentioned that at the time the ship was being built in Clydebank there was a list of QE2 items that could be purchased. I lived in Clydebank and not aware of this - does he have a copy to evidence his statement? Maybe ask the Clydebank Post to ask their readers about this statement.

Lynn Waring mentioned about a carpet being unrolled and there was a hole the size of typical Glasgow tenements room.  I have heard this tale before and always take it with a pinch of salt!

The launch was rescheduled 3 times? I think it may have been the delivery rather than the launch that was rescheduled 3 times. Cunard and John Brown's agreed on a September 1967 launch date in 1966 (as mentioned in Michael Gallagher's book).  The launch date would fit in with river tidal levels and the Queen holiday in Balmoral in Scotland. 

Good to see Ronnie Keir, his input was good as was Alan and Shona and Susan and James at the Titan Crane.
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I guess only Cunard could Book The Queen   :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:05 PM »
The launch was later than planned but they knew it would be late by May 1966 and you don’t book then rebook The Queen. It was announced in January 1967 that she would launch the ship in September that year and that she did.

The Red Arrows did not fly over her at launch - it was the 736 Squadron as 736 was her yard number.

She was not launched with champagne - that was not the Cunard way.

The programme said some very nice things about her and that’s what matters!

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I think there is a degree of sensationalism in this documentary which is understandable (to make more people interested in QE2 - as we saw here on the forum last night for example) and maybe a necessary evil? People can learn the exact truth later on if they're truly interested. Also, when have the media not tried to be sensationalist?
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:35 PM »
There is a download available on Youtube, already, but it seems to be a free sign up membership (& all that it may entail), also doesn't look good , showing the Queen Elizabeth (current) cruise ship as the header.

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:38 PM »
There is a download available on Youtube, already, but it seems to be a free sign up membership (& all that it may entail), also doesn't look good , showing the Queen Elizabeth (current) cruise ship as the header.

I would not recommend signing up to third party websites through YouTube videos for security reasons, the videos that link you to third party websites to then view the supposed video are seedy at best.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Just had a friend (Vinny on the forum) from outside the UK successfully be able to watch on Channel Five's catch-up service :

https://www.my5.tv/the-qe2/season-1/episode-1

Should therefore work for members overseas in at least the USA.

kevinh

« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:28 AM »
It's all very interesting
I think the picture between ads should state "The Worlds Greatest Liner" and not "The Worlds Greatest Cruise Ship"

YES!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. These people need to get their facts straight: I don't care if liners and cruisers serve the same basic purpose. There's a BIG difference between them.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I enjoyed the program - especially seeing so many people I "know" taking part. I tend not to pay too much attention to some of the details in a documentary, especially if I know the real story behind some of it.
The footage from the ship at the launch was brilliant.

I was a bit disappointed to see they mis-spelt Professor Bruce Peter as "Peters". That is the lack of attention to detail that really annoys me.

The rest of the urban myths I take with a pinch of salt. After all, if you are going to cut out a piece of carpet, you wouldn't already have the dimensions including the fireplace cut out, would you?  :P

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:33 PM »
That's true - and you'd cut a length off the end where it wouldn't be noticed, not put a whacking great hole in the middle which would advertise to all and sundry what you'd done.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:08 PM »
The narrator kept saying COO-nard not Q-nard that was more than annoying.

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:21 AM »
The narrator kept saying COO-nard not Q-nard that was more than annoying.

Likewise I found it annoying!

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:59 AM »
I think there is a degree of sensationalism in this documentary which is understandable (to make more people interested in QE2 - as we saw here on the forum last night for example) and maybe a necessary evil? People can learn the exact truth later on if they're truly interested. Also, when have the media not tried to be sensationalist?

What a load of total rubbish.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:16 AM »
 Not a mention of alledged pilfering, by the folk I've spoken to, they are more interested in the delicate problem of her name, 'well I didn't know that' is a common phrase.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Pilfering is a common problem worldwide in and around dockyards, i can't remember the number of times we found items 'walking' off the ship, mysteriously hiding in a dockie's tool bag or, cunningly concealed in rubbish bags etc.

Be it France, Bremmerhaven, Singapore, Malta or, as in this case, Glasgow no shipyard is 'lily white' when it comes to pilfering.

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:59 PM »
What a load of total rubbish.

In what sense?

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:18 PM »
In what sense?
In the sense of what was 'Sensationalised'?

It was facts and not sensational headlines that were included in the programme.

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:43 PM »
In the sense of what was 'Sensationalised'?

It was facts and not sensational headlines that were included in the programme.

The extent of the pilfering (I’m not denying it happened however), the story of the middle of that particular carpet being cut out that other members of this forum have said was unlikely for example. A documentary like this relishes “sensational” information such as this - much like a lot of the media. What’s more it depends on the source of said information and whether that source was/is biased or not (which I suspect was/is given the yard’s and Cunard’s working relationship at the time). I stated in my original post on the matter that it could serve to increase interest in the ship and encourage people to learn more and (perhaps) separate fact from myth. However this is my opinion and we all differ!
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2018, 02:53 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:22 PM »
I know of several pasengers from the UK  on QE2 who always called it Coo nard , all are or were very regular travellers.     

Pilfering is a common problem worldwide in and around dockyards, i can't remember the number of times we found items 'walking' off the ship, mysteriously hiding in a dockie's tool bag or, cunningly concealed in rubbish bags etc.   

What about the passengers, need we say any more than the Farewell Transatlantic crossings on QE2...and who lets face it hasnt removed a cup or something that perhaps should have stayed on the ship..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:06 PM »
The extent of the pilfering (I’m not denying it happened however), the story of the middle of that particular carpet being cut out that other members of this forum have said was unlikely for example. A documentary like this relishes “sensational” information such as this - much like a lot of the media. What’s more it depends on the source of said information and whether that source was/is biased or not (which I suspect was/is given the yard’s and Cunard’s working relationship at the time). I stated in my original post on the matter that it could serve to increase interest in the ship and encourage people to learn more and (perhaps) separate fact from myth. However this is my opinion and we all differ!

If you don't mind i think that i'd prefer to believe Eric Flounders & Lynn Waring with their versions of events as opposed to your 'assumption', they are speaking from many years of experience and knowledge, which could be sadly lacking in your case.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:14 PM »
If you don't mind i think that i'd prefer to believe Eric Flounders & Lynn Waring with their versions of events as opposed to your 'assumption', they are speaking from many years of experience and knowledge, which could be sadly lacking in your case.

They're not. They weren't there in the late 60s in Clydebank either.  Cunard's staff knew nothing of what went on.

Online dellboy

« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:33 PM »
The first episode didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I don't think the second episode titled "Cruise ship, warship" will be any different, with probably no detailed info on Dubai.       

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Episode 2 features Professor David Humphreys (one of our conference speakers ) and colleagues who had sailed to the Falklands with QE2. I believe there will be previously unseen footage aboard the QE2 from when she was sailing to the South Atlantic,  with the three crew speaking about their experience.   Should be interesting.   Forum member George Griffiths will also be featured in tomorrow's programme. 
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #68 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I'm not watching the programme just now, but I can tell whats being shown by what people are looking at on the "who's online" !

Offline Robbo

« Reply #69 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:17 PM »
There was hardly any footage of the conference.
The film crew were there for the two days and took lots of footage but nothing was shown. In fact I don't think they even mentioned the conference
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 09:27 PM by Robbo »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #70 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:38 PM »
There was hardly any footage of the conference.
The film crew were there for the two days and took lots of footage but nothing was shown. In fact I don't think they even mentioned the conference

No mention of the conference, no footage that I saw, and no credit either even though they met many of the people in the programme at the conference.

It was a very, very badly edited programme - it bounced about all over the place with some repetition too. I feel dizzy!

Offline Trevor Casey

• Committed to Helping Others
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Forum Member since March 3, 2017
« Reply #71 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:41 PM »
How disappointing.
Flickr:https://tinyurl.com/y9j69lnx Blog: https://thatssotrevor.blogspot.com/

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Very disappointing indeed !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:04 PM »
I thought there was some good film footage and I liked the section on the ship sailing to the Falklands with David Humphreys.

Disappointed that there was no footage, or reference to the QE2 conference celebrating 50 years since the launch, especially as Channel 5 got a lot of contacts to interview from the QE2 Story Event.  Did anyone notice if the QE2 Story was mentioned in the credits?

Also disappointing that at the end of the programme the commentator said there was no plans for the ship to open (or words to that affect).  The current position of what was happening to the ship should have been researched and the plans for Hotel QE2 opening in the Spring should have been reported.   

The Clydebank Post picked up on last week's programme with a heading "Storm over Channel 5 show's pilfering claims". The Editor had contacted me last week following the programme for a comment and I had stated what I had posted on this topic.  The local MP had also commented that it was disappointing that the programme had chosen to focus on unfounded pilfering claims. 
http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15991244.Storm_over_Channel_5_show___s_QE2_pilfering_claims/

On this week's programme the shipyard responsible for the disastrous refit at the time of the 1994 refit was not given the same harsh comments as the statements made about John Brown's shipyard.

www.qe2event.com

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Looks like the narrator had been corrected regarding correct pronunciation of Q-nard in episode 2. However, the classic this week was the clip of Lord Matthews, Victor Matthews chairman, whose caption was 'Victor Blank' an editor had presumably put in 'blank' in anticipation of correcting it later! How very amateur. - Phil Blank, sorry, Willum.

Online Thomas Hypher

« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Have just finished watching. I found the several glaring inaccuracies annoying (for example saying QM2 is faster). As I said the other day, I think the documentary is good for making more people interested in QE2 or re-igniting their interest (hopefully) so that they then learn true facts and more about her elsewhere such as on this forum. A very "tip of the iceberg" program.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #76 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:28 PM »
I spotted the "Victor Blank" blunder; what some younger members might not realise though is there actually is a businessman of that name - except he ran a bank, not a shipping line.

As to the conference - I agree, it is a huge disappointment that the entire footage has ended up in the digital equivalent of the cutting room floor.  There was an opportunity there for Channel 5 to show that the QE2 remains very popular even in her retirement - that would have served to underline the thrust of the documentary about her importance to the public as a whole.

Certainly the subtitles never mentioned the website or forum.

Editing jumping about all over the place... agreed; not good.  Would be justifiable if they were talking about each aspect from start to finish in turn, but not in the random way they did it.  The whole thing, while full of excellent archive footage, did give the impression of having been edited in a hurry with little attempt to "proofread" it; had they done so that error about QM2's speed would have been spotted and corrected.

Watchable?  Yes.  But as a headmaster would say: "Could do better!"
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #77 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Our "hits" from people investigating the program were less than half of what they were for the first part of the programme last week.

I think that's feedback from the general public about what they thought of the program... I'd expected to get roughly the same again this week.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #78 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:47 PM »
Half as many visitors, but 650 is still a lot more than usual - however wouldn't many of the viewers tonight have seen part one last week and visited the site from that, so tonight's 650 may be extra people on top?

The page view statistics look around the same number as last week?

Offline Trevor Casey

• Committed to Helping Others
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Forum Member since March 3, 2017
« Reply #79 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:44 AM »
While I did not see it, I find it annoying that they don't get basic details right. Considering that those who were at the QE2 50 Conf. and were interviewed, you would expect footage from the Conference. Such shame.
Flickr:https://tinyurl.com/y9j69lnx Blog: https://thatssotrevor.blogspot.com/