Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship  (Read 24455 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship
« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:59 PM »
What a load of total rubbish.

In what sense?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:18 PM »
In what sense?
In the sense of what was 'Sensationalised'?

It was facts and not sensational headlines that were included in the programme.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:43 PM »
In the sense of what was 'Sensationalised'?

It was facts and not sensational headlines that were included in the programme.

The extent of the pilfering (I’m not denying it happened however), the story of the middle of that particular carpet being cut out that other members of this forum have said was unlikely for example. A documentary like this relishes “sensational” information such as this - much like a lot of the media. What’s more it depends on the source of said information and whether that source was/is biased or not (which I suspect was/is given the yard’s and Cunard’s working relationship at the time). I stated in my original post on the matter that it could serve to increase interest in the ship and encourage people to learn more and (perhaps) separate fact from myth. However this is my opinion and we all differ!
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2018, 02:53 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:22 PM »
I know of several pasengers from the UK  on QE2 who always called it Coo nard , all are or were very regular travellers.     

Pilfering is a common problem worldwide in and around dockyards, i can't remember the number of times we found items 'walking' off the ship, mysteriously hiding in a dockie's tool bag or, cunningly concealed in rubbish bags etc.   

What about the passengers, need we say any more than the Farewell Transatlantic crossings on QE2...and who lets face it hasnt removed a cup or something that perhaps should have stayed on the ship..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:06 PM »
The extent of the pilfering (I’m not denying it happened however), the story of the middle of that particular carpet being cut out that other members of this forum have said was unlikely for example. A documentary like this relishes “sensational” information such as this - much like a lot of the media. What’s more it depends on the source of said information and whether that source was/is biased or not (which I suspect was/is given the yard’s and Cunard’s working relationship at the time). I stated in my original post on the matter that it could serve to increase interest in the ship and encourage people to learn more and (perhaps) separate fact from myth. However this is my opinion and we all differ!

If you don't mind i think that i'd prefer to believe Eric Flounders & Lynn Waring with their versions of events as opposed to your 'assumption', they are speaking from many years of experience and knowledge, which could be sadly lacking in your case.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:14 PM »
If you don't mind i think that i'd prefer to believe Eric Flounders & Lynn Waring with their versions of events as opposed to your 'assumption', they are speaking from many years of experience and knowledge, which could be sadly lacking in your case.

They're not. They weren't there in the late 60s in Clydebank either.  Cunard's staff knew nothing of what went on.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline dellboy

« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:33 PM »
The first episode didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I don't think the second episode titled "Cruise ship, warship" will be any different, with probably no detailed info on Dubai.       
QE2 Story the go-to place for all things QE2

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Episode 2 features Professor David Humphreys (one of our conference speakers ) and colleagues who had sailed to the Falklands with QE2. I believe there will be previously unseen footage aboard the QE2 from when she was sailing to the South Atlantic,  with the three crew speaking about their experience.   Should be interesting.   Forum member George Griffiths will also be featured in tomorrow's programme. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #68 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I'm not watching the programme just now, but I can tell whats being shown by what people are looking at on the "who's online" !
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Robbo

« Reply #69 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:17 PM »
There was hardly any footage of the conference.
The film crew were there for the two days and took lots of footage but nothing was shown. In fact I don't think they even mentioned the conference
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 09:27 PM by Robbo »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #70 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:38 PM »
There was hardly any footage of the conference.
The film crew were there for the two days and took lots of footage but nothing was shown. In fact I don't think they even mentioned the conference

No mention of the conference, no footage that I saw, and no credit either even though they met many of the people in the programme at the conference.

It was a very, very badly edited programme - it bounced about all over the place with some repetition too. I feel dizzy!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #71 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:41 PM »
How disappointing.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Very disappointing indeed !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:04 PM »
I thought there was some good film footage and I liked the section on the ship sailing to the Falklands with David Humphreys.

Disappointed that there was no footage, or reference to the QE2 conference celebrating 50 years since the launch, especially as Channel 5 got a lot of contacts to interview from the QE2 Story Event.  Did anyone notice if the QE2 Story was mentioned in the credits?

Also disappointing that at the end of the programme the commentator said there was no plans for the ship to open (or words to that affect).  The current position of what was happening to the ship should have been researched and the plans for Hotel QE2 opening in the Spring should have been reported.   

The Clydebank Post picked up on last week's programme with a heading "Storm over Channel 5 show's pilfering claims". The Editor had contacted me last week following the programme for a comment and I had stated what I had posted on this topic.  The local MP had also commented that it was disappointing that the programme had chosen to focus on unfounded pilfering claims. 
http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15991244.Storm_over_Channel_5_show___s_QE2_pilfering_claims/

On this week's programme the shipyard responsible for the disastrous refit at the time of the 1994 refit was not given the same harsh comments as the statements made about John Brown's shipyard.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Looks like the narrator had been corrected regarding correct pronunciation of Q-nard in episode 2. However, the classic this week was the clip of Lord Matthews, Victor Matthews chairman, whose caption was 'Victor Blank' an editor had presumably put in 'blank' in anticipation of correcting it later! How very amateur. - Phil Blank, sorry, Willum.

River Clyde Channel Depth

Started by highlander0108Board Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 2
Views: 13321
Last post Sep 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
by highlander0108
Discovery Channel - Transatlantic on board Queen Elizabeth 2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1764
Last post Jan 22, 2017, 07:38 PM
by MiamiCunarder
Cherbourg Channel Hops 1986

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard The 1980s

Replies: 1
Views: 1576
Last post Apr 06, 2011, 10:33 AM
by cunardqueen
The Liners Channel 4 series (1997)

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 3329
Last post Nov 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
by Rob Lightbody
Channel 5 UK : Britain's Greatest Ships : Queen Mary

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 1017
Last post Dec 31, 2019, 06:05 PM
by Olivia