Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship  (Read 24205 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:29 PM »
I liked the archived footage of the ship and overall the documentary was okay, but could have been better with more QE2 enthusiasts and less Cunard people. 

Some of the statements being made were not backed up any evidence. 

Cunard PR Man mentioned that at the time the ship was being built in Clydebank there was a list of QE2 items that could be purchased. I lived in Clydebank and not aware of this - does he have a copy to evidence his statement? Maybe ask the Clydebank Post to ask their readers about this statement.

Lynn Waring mentioned about a carpet being unrolled and there was a hole the size of typical Glasgow tenements room.  I have heard this tale before and always take it with a pinch of salt!

The launch was rescheduled 3 times? I think it may have been the delivery rather than the launch that was rescheduled 3 times. Cunard and John Brown's agreed on a September 1967 launch date in 1966 (as mentioned in Michael Gallagher's book).  The launch date would fit in with river tidal levels and the Queen holiday in Balmoral in Scotland. 

Good to see Ronnie Keir, his input was good as was Alan and Shona and Susan and James at the Titan Crane.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I guess only Cunard could Book The Queen   :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:05 PM »
The launch was later than planned but they knew it would be late by May 1966 and you don’t book then rebook The Queen. It was announced in January 1967 that she would launch the ship in September that year and that she did.

The Red Arrows did not fly over her at launch - it was the 736 Squadron as 736 was her yard number.

She was not launched with champagne - that was not the Cunard way.

The programme said some very nice things about her and that’s what matters!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I think there is a degree of sensationalism in this documentary which is understandable (to make more people interested in QE2 - as we saw here on the forum last night for example) and maybe a necessary evil? People can learn the exact truth later on if they're truly interested. Also, when have the media not tried to be sensationalist?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:35 PM »
There is a download available on Youtube, already, but it seems to be a free sign up membership (& all that it may entail), also doesn't look good , showing the Queen Elizabeth (current) cruise ship as the header.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:38 PM »
There is a download available on Youtube, already, but it seems to be a free sign up membership (& all that it may entail), also doesn't look good , showing the Queen Elizabeth (current) cruise ship as the header.

I would not recommend signing up to third party websites through YouTube videos for security reasons, the videos that link you to third party websites to then view the supposed video are seedy at best.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Just had a friend (Vinny on the forum) from outside the UK successfully be able to watch on Channel Five's catch-up service :

https://www.my5.tv/the-qe2/season-1/episode-1

Should therefore work for members overseas in at least the USA.

kevinh

« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:28 AM »
It's all very interesting
I think the picture between ads should state "The Worlds Greatest Liner" and not "The Worlds Greatest Cruise Ship"

YES!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. These people need to get their facts straight: I don't care if liners and cruisers serve the same basic purpose. There's a BIG difference between them.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I enjoyed the program - especially seeing so many people I "know" taking part. I tend not to pay too much attention to some of the details in a documentary, especially if I know the real story behind some of it.
The footage from the ship at the launch was brilliant.

I was a bit disappointed to see they mis-spelt Professor Bruce Peter as "Peters". That is the lack of attention to detail that really annoys me.

The rest of the urban myths I take with a pinch of salt. After all, if you are going to cut out a piece of carpet, you wouldn't already have the dimensions including the fireplace cut out, would you?  :P

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:33 PM »
That's true - and you'd cut a length off the end where it wouldn't be noticed, not put a whacking great hole in the middle which would advertise to all and sundry what you'd done.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:08 PM »
The narrator kept saying COO-nard not Q-nard that was more than annoying.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:21 AM »
The narrator kept saying COO-nard not Q-nard that was more than annoying.

Likewise I found it annoying!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:59 AM »
I think there is a degree of sensationalism in this documentary which is understandable (to make more people interested in QE2 - as we saw here on the forum last night for example) and maybe a necessary evil? People can learn the exact truth later on if they're truly interested. Also, when have the media not tried to be sensationalist?

What a load of total rubbish.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:16 AM »
 Not a mention of alledged pilfering, by the folk I've spoken to, they are more interested in the delicate problem of her name, 'well I didn't know that' is a common phrase.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Pilfering is a common problem worldwide in and around dockyards, i can't remember the number of times we found items 'walking' off the ship, mysteriously hiding in a dockie's tool bag or, cunningly concealed in rubbish bags etc.

Be it France, Bremmerhaven, Singapore, Malta or, as in this case, Glasgow no shipyard is 'lily white' when it comes to pilfering.

River Clyde Channel Depth

Started by highlander0108Board Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 2
Views: 13263
Last post Sep 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
by highlander0108
Discovery Channel - Transatlantic on board Queen Elizabeth 2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1738
Last post Jan 22, 2017, 07:38 PM
by MiamiCunarder
Cherbourg Channel Hops 1986

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard The 1980s

Replies: 1
Views: 1572
Last post Apr 06, 2011, 10:33 AM
by cunardqueen
The Liners Channel 4 series (1997)

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 3319
Last post Nov 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
by Rob Lightbody
Channel 5 UK : Britain's Greatest Ships : Queen Mary

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 1007
Last post Dec 31, 2019, 06:05 PM
by Olivia