Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship  (Read 14892 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship
« Reply #100 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I have not seen it

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #101 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I agree with both Rob and Gavin's comments.  Although it is advisable to put this aside and get on with celebrating QE2, which is what we are about, it is also good to have our opinion.  Following the first programme, I received a comment by email from someone living in Clydebank. 

"What I noted was the stories/judgement of the delays came entirely from Cunard voices or a marine historian who appears to be Australian if I'm reading his website correctly. Regardless, no local voices. I'll see if any residents back up those stories, but I've never heard one myself"

I would have liked to have heard the views of people who worked in the shipyard and there was people who worked in the shipyard at the conference.

Summing up the Channel 5 programme.  There was positives, the film archive footage was fantastic, I enjoyed most of the interviews, but I did feel that too much time was given to Cunard people.  I would have liked to have heard more of what QE2 passengers, John and Rosemary and George had to say on Tuesday's programme.  These passengers have a story to tell that is not documented in books.  I would also have liked a reference to the conference, even if it had just been a mentioned that 220 people gathered in Clydebank to celebrate 50 years since the launch of the ship, with a fleeting glance at the delegates in the hall. 

There should have been credit given to The QE2 Story, but that is a lesson to be learned for the organisers of the conference, which included myself.  Given the input we had in providing contact details for people to be interviewed, the fact that the film crew were at the conference and the boat trip, we should have stipulated that the The QE2 Story should have been on the credits and we should also have asked for a donation to the forum, which is helping to keep the memory of QE2 alive. 

The positive is that the documentary highlighted QE2. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #102 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Having just watched the recording of episode 2, forgetting what I know from the conference, the trip doon the watter and speaking to various forum members about filming, the documentary was pretty good and it was great to see QE2 alive again doing what she did best.

If I now think about the two solid days that film crew spent at the conference and boat trip, I can't help but think these guys just had two free days out on the QE2 Story Forum. I think there was probably an accumulation of 45 seconds worth from the second day - and that was mainly the interview with the couple done with the crane in the background. The other shot was about 3 or 4 seconds over the stern to the crane with the Cunard flag in shot. Nothing whatsoever from the conference and no mention of the QE2 Story either.

Speaking to George the other night at the exhibition, he said the crew were at his house for 6 hours. I made a point of timing his clip - 10 seconds.
The other interviews, I assume, were a significant intrusion of time in folk's homes for relatively little footage.

I was really looking forward to the documentary as I was sure there was going to be lots of coverage of the Conference and hearing people's individual stories.

What a travesty!!!!

Anyone could  have put 75% of that program together simply by trawling through archives.

I wanted the personal touch. I wanted to see parts of the conference. I wanted to hear real people's stories so that people watching the program could see there were real, ordinary people involved with the great ship.

From that point of view, the documentary fell far short of expectations.

Rant over!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #103 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I've got to say, I repeat my original comment of 'I like it', but that does come with some  caveats.
  I Love the Launch images from on board (never seen before- -by me at least),  anything concerning QE2 has me a  weak at the knees, so, all those ariel shots (many out  of time  synch, but what ever) go down well  in the cain household,  because they show her at her best.

So we have to ask ourselves here, was this a cheap production, as in pay the royalties for some nice pics, show the workers at their worst (they are always cannon fodder anyway), & be lazy in the follow up.
  What  this was  : an utterly  wasted opportunity to celebrate QE2 & ask a gathering of people who BY THE WAY will never be in the same place again to offer their views of QE2    'the enigma'.   As to what she (still) holds over the people on this side of the world who have encountered her & why.
  Maybe not cheap but in my opinion incredibly lazy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #104 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:11 AM »
I think they panicked early on, because they couldn't film on board the actual subject in question hence the ridiculous number of unused hours of film shot, and people's time wasted.

Early on when they asked if they'd be able to film on board and I said no, I followed it up with "but that hasn't stopped lots of films being made about titanic.

It all just smacks of complete incompetence.

Are you sure the footage of the couple at the titan crane was shot at our event? To me it looked like it had been shot at some other time.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2018, 09:09 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #105 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Rob, I must admit that I assumed it was shot at our event, although thinking back, the weather maybe didn't quite match!

That makes it even worse in that case - about 3 seconds from the two days!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #107 on: Apr 14, 2018, 02:31 PM »
QE2. The World's Greatest Cruise Ship.
Channel 5 Tonight, at 8.00pm - 9.00pm
(20.00 - 20.55 hrs BST)
Having missed the programme(s) in February - it has been interesting to read the comments above.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline PaulInuk

• passenger and crew at sametime
  • Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
« Reply #108 on: Apr 15, 2018, 11:54 AM »
You can watch qe2  documentary on channel5.com
paul

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
QE2 (new series) documentary on Channel Five (UK)
« Reply #109 on: Apr 23, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Here's a link to a new series of a QE2 documentary on Channel Five here in the UK, broadcasting at 10pm tonight. People outside of the UK may wish to use a VPN to watch the documentary on Channel Five's online catch up service called "My5" when it becomes available.

https://www.channel5.com/show/the-qe2-queen-of-the-seas/
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Ian Davies

Re: QE2 (new series) documentary on Channel Five (UK)
« Reply #110 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12:28 PM »
I watched this documentary last night. It was a two parter run continuously for two hours with only advert breaks.

I learned a lot about the ship, it was very well researched, with excellent interviews and archival footage. I spotted only one factual error in the whole programme. When the ship was launched in 1967, it was Royal Navy Buccaneer jets that overflew the QE2 and not the Red Arrows.

I have only two criticisms -  1: The music was not needed at times

2. My major criticism of the programme  - about the narrator. She was out of place in this programme, full of very well spoken knowledgeable people. The narrator came over  to me as a complete nuisance and irritant. A Goby Rasping Crackling voice with an accent that was all over the place. Alternating from very posh, then common cockney, then a mix of the two - mockney.

The narration was so bad , distracting, and was spilling my enjoyment so much, I had to turn 'her' off and rely on the subtitles.

What a shame that the superb documentary that was so beautifully and expertly put together in every other conceivable way,  was ruined by this one thing.

The programme's narration needs to be re-recorded, with someone else more suited to the subject, and bring more ' gravitas. The false, fake voice attempt to be all things to all people was all over the place and not needed. Very patronising at times.

Offline Ian Davies

« Reply #111 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Here is the type of narrator the documentary should have had! This is Barbara Flynn who has narrated numerous documentaries. Here is a clip from one BBC series. 'When Britain Ruled the Skies'. about the VC-10

'Polished, refined and with a licence too thrill'   reflects the subject  matter and the narrator's style.

Offline Ian Davies

« Reply #112 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12:47 PM »
A narrator is supposed to be beside you the this voyage, and not trying to take over and dominate it.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #113 on: Apr 24, 2020, 02:13 PM »
Here is the type of narrator the documentary should have had! This is Barbara Flynn who has narrated numerous documentaries. Here is a clip from one BBC series. 'When Britain Ruled the Skies'. about the VC-10

'Polished, refined and with a licence too thrill'   reflects the subject  matter and the narrator's style.

Slightly off subject, apologies, but it does relate to the VC10, in the RAF version the seat configuration was such that you flew backwards, very odd! I don't know if the any of the civilian versions were the same, but i doubt.
In 1967, as a very young Royal Marine, i flew - backwards- in one operated by British United to Aden for my first overseas posting. Then again in 1987, the day after the Zeebrugge disaster 6th March, was when i next flew in a VC10, this time 'crab air' [RAF] to Hong Kong, en route to Brunei, and it was here we also flew backwards!

For a Cunard connection, there is a museum VC10 at IWM Duxford in Cambs, in what is now something historic, BOAC/Cunard livery.

Offline Rod

« Reply #114 on: Apr 24, 2020, 03:22 PM »
I believe the flyover was done by 736 squadron Royal Navy.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #115 on: Apr 24, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Turns out this isn't a new series but a re-run of last year's documentary on QE2.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Olivia

« Reply #116 on: Apr 24, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Turns out this isn't a new series but a re-run of last year's documentary on QE2.

I only watched the first few minutes and was certain I had seen it before.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #117 on: Apr 24, 2020, 05:07 PM »

I figured that I have so many QE2 programmes and videos available to me, that the recent channel 5 documentary would be close to last on my list of ones I'd like to sit down and watch just now!

Bruce Peter's awesome 2007 one for BBC Scotland remains my absolute favourite - its sublime.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #118 on: Apr 24, 2020, 05:30 PM »

I didn't even bother with that long!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #119 on: Apr 24, 2020, 10:25 PM »
  Slightly off subject, apologies, but it does relate to the VC10, in the RAF version the seat configuration was such that you flew backwards, very odd! I don't know if the any of the civilian versions were the same,   

If you fly Club (Business) class on BA  in the window seats & the seat in the middle then your flying backwards.
It is an unusual sensation on Take off. But with the new design seats that are (slowly)being fitted that stops the flying backwards issue . The only niggle from a BA diehard fan is other than the corner seats in Business class , if your in a window seat, you do need to climb over the legs of the  passenger next to you if they have their flat bed reclined.  However these window seats do afford great privacy with the divider screen up . The photos might explain it better. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!