Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship  (Read 14691 times)

kevinh

Re: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:53 PM »
A Channel 5 assistant sent this "TX Card" for the programme. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Wonderful: looking forward to when it gets here! You bet I'll be watching. ;)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Wonderful: looking forward to when it gets here! You bet I'll be watching. ;)

Kevin, it seemed like a good idea at the time to take part in the filming.  QE2 has been very much part of my life, as I lived in Clydebank at the time the ship was being built and I later sailed on her many times.  But the thought of seeing myself on TV and how the producer can be very selective over what is in the programme scares me a bit.  As long as the programme does QE2 credit that is all that matters. 

Other QE2 Story members were also filmed, Cunarder Man, George C Griffiths, QE2 Whistle (Alan and Shona) SusieD to name a few, plus there was filming done at the conference so I am hoping some of that footage is included. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

kevinh

« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Kevin, it seemed like a good idea at the time to take part in the filming.  QE2 has been very much part of my life, as I lived in Clydebank at the time the ship was being built and I later sailed on her many times.  But the thought of seeing myself on TV and how the producer can be very selective over what is in the programme scares me a bit.  As long as the programme does QE2 credit that is all that matters. 

Other QE2 Story members were also filmed, Cunarder Man, George C Griffiths, QE2 Whistle (Alan and Shona) SusieD to name a few, plus there was filming done at the conference so I am hoping some of that footage is included.

Don't worry: I'm sure you'll be fine (much more fine compared to me in my math quiz anyway...).

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:45 PM »
But the thought of seeing myself on TV

Don't be scared... I've been on TV at least three times* myself, plus I'm in an online video about recycling which is on our local council's website and take it from me: you'll be fine.

*Four times if I'm in the background in any of the pictures on the documentary next week!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:54 PM »
   But the thought of seeing myself on TV and how the producer can be very selective over what is in the programme scares me a bit.  As long as the programme does QE2 credit that is all that matters.     
Oh dont be scared , as you say as long as QE2 comes out of it ok.... and if she doesnt well,  can we blame you  ;) ;)

But l think we all agree it should be an interesting programme. It does make you wonder from what angle they will be looking at QE2 from..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

kevinh

« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:53 AM »
Don't be scared... I've been on TV at least three times* myself, plus I'm in an online video about recycling which is on our local council's website and take it from me: you'll be fine.

*Four times if I'm in the background in any of the pictures on the documentary next week!

I've also been on TV 3 times; first time when I was at a winter carnival. Second and third times at the Walk for Breast Cancer with my school. It was awesome.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:41 AM »

But l think we all agree it should be an interesting programme. It does make you wonder from what angle they will be looking at QE2 from..

I think the first programme will be about the ship in Clydebank.  My connection to Clydebank is probably why I am in the first programme. I lived in Clydebank at the time the ship was being built.  My Dad worked in John Brown's - see John Brown's shipyard - in with the bricks topic   where I wrote his story.  I stood on the decks of QE2 days after she was launched and saw around the ship before she left Clydebank. 

Andy Robbins when interviewing me asked about the strikes and pilfering, at the time when the ship was being built, which I did not have any knowledge.  I was aware of strikes, but that was a sign of the times. On the pilfering I have always stated that I disagree that it was the ordinary worker who was doing this and agree with Hugh Morrison, who on another topic said that this was organised crime. It will be interesting to see how the programme producers handle this topic.  I told them they should speak to Hugh Morrison plus Ian Johnston, shipyard author and historian, who very clearly stated in his book that the increase in pilfering near the end of the completion of the ship was down to contract workers being used and lack of security etc.  but that is another story.

I am looking forward to seeing the programme.  There was many people interviewed as a result of Channel 5 getting contact details from The QE2 Story, so they would have had a wealth of material to work with to generate an interesting QE2 programme. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Once I manage to psyche myself up to watch it, I'm expecting to be annoyed at bits of it, and to enjoy bits of it, but to overall be glad it was made.  I do think they'll leave some of the conference filming in - they spent 2 days in Glasgow to do it after all - but I do hope they cut-out the only brief interview they asked me for, on board the boat trip where I had to speak out of sequence (in future tense for something that had just happened) - it was all very odd!

Fingers are crossed!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Today's the day!

Not every day that a QE2 programme goes live on a main terrestrial channel, that our members have helped with, and that filmed at our conference!

Everyone excited?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Today's the day!

Not every day that a QE2 programme goes live on a main terrestrial channel, that our members have helped with, and that filmed at our conference!

Everyone excited?

Mega excited. I am looking forward to seeing QE2 Story people and our connections that were interviewed.   I hope the programme does QE2 justice.

I am resigned to the fact that the producers have went along the line of the strikes and pilfering at the time the ship was built, which is unfortunate, as without researching the finer details a documentary could not cover this aspect of the industrial unrest in the 1960's.

But the Clydebank shipyard built a magnificent liner and that cannot be denied.   
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Well, let us have some impressions after you have watched, please :) .

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:47 AM »
I hope everyone likes it. Hopefully they do her justice.

I was filmed at Sea City having just stepped off Queen Elizabeth from The QE2 50th Anniversary Celebration voyage. We were late off the ship, took a taxi to the museum and ran in the rain to get there on time! 

But I must say the director was very well informed about QE2. I was very impressed that they actually knew her story and they went to the trouble to interview people instrumental in her design and operation so that’s very promising.

Here she is in all her glory:

*Photo taken by myself or Rachelle in Sydney during her world cruise.*

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 06:23 AM by Chris Frame »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Quote from: Chris Frame
But I must say the director was very well informed about QE2. I was very impressed that they actually knew her story and they went to the trouble to interview people instrumental in her design and operation so that’s very promising.

He'd learned the story at the conference and boat trip! Lol.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:34 PM »
I have found a livestream (not very legal  ;) and if you can get past the significant audio distortion) of Channel Five that might allow members overseas watch the QE2 program at 8pm GMT/UTC tonight:

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/tv-stream/?ch=channel+5&s=1
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2018, 02:04 PM »
He'd learned the story at the conference and boat trip! Lol.

Well done team!!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:49 PM »
 Lynda, Rob.     It'll be alright on the night,  it will also be interesting to see if any body watching gets interested enough to join us here.
    It is Channel 5 so 1/2 the programme will be ad breaks, cannot wait , hope they do her proud!!!!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:12 PM »
  It is Channel 5 so 1/2 the programme will be ad breaks, cannot wait , hope they do her proud!!!!   

Pete Its Channel 5 ! No one but no one could do a bigger hatchet job on QE2 than her present owners. (prove me wrong thats all l ask) I gather  the Public relations team had their first meeting...in an old GPO Phone box...
I also hope that C5  do QE2 proud. Its sounds as though they know what they are talking about. which is a lot more than ...oh you get my drift lm sure.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Pete Hamill

« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Unfortunately, I won't see the program live as I'll be at work, but I am looking forward to catching up with the recording tomorrow.
I'm keeping a completely open mind - and looking forward to the ensuing discussion on the forum!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:11 PM »
The synopsis that is on everyone's TV Guides across the UK, doesn't bode well.

If I had to write a 2 sentence summary of QE2's entry into service, strikes and looting wouldn't have featured. 

Two-part documentary about one of the grandest vessels to ever set sail - the Queen Elizabeth 2. Built at the John Brown shipyard on the Clydebank, she very nearly didn't come into existence at all as strikes and looting blighted her creation. Then on her naming day, Her Majesty the Queen had a surprise for everyone.
Read more at https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide#wYSYThzogDBp6lTc.99

Offline pete cain

« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:34 PM »
 Do you (we the forum) have a right to reply to the programme ?
 I mean this goverment we have at the moment always reply to a bad statement.
 The Beeb have a programme on at the weekend Newswatch  wher wrongs can be put right, The Guardian  publish corrections, you get my drift?