Author Topic: Cunard Building 25th Broadway Clocks  (Read 845 times)

Offline Howie

Cunard Building 25th Broadway Clocks
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Hi All, I posted on here a number of years back regarding two E Howard & Co Bronze slave clocks I have in my possession. These clocks were rescued from going in the scrap bin, most of the other items that what held in storage in Southampton warehouse subject to requirement were written off & disposed of.  I was told by a member of Cunard staff from 555 5th Avenue these were removed from the Cunard building in 25th Broadway in New York in approx 1974 & were on display for a while on the QE2 situated in the Library. They were in storage in New York for a while then were transported on the QE2 to the Southampton warehouse.
I have researched in to these clocks for a number of years with no real proof to where or if they did come from where I was told they came from. Any one who was staff on the QE2 might of remembered these being on display in the Library, been to the broadway building prior to its taking over by the post office in 1974 or have any other evidence that may come in use full.  thanks & Regards H
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92011699@N05

Offline Howie

Re: Cunard Building 25th Broadway Clocks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:46 AM »
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951000755263d;view=2up;seq=1

after a lot of research have found a few periodical magazines with pictures of the building but no clocks...

Online Barumfox

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2018, 10:40 PM »
Howie

One person who is likely to know if the clocks came from 25 Broadway - in the public areas at least - is Bill Miller the author - who frequented all the old shipping offices in his youth  - he also has an interest in buildings apparent from his Sailing and Soaring book - you may be able to contact him via one of his publishers - his websites do not look as if they are actively maintained - or Michael Gallagher may have contact details?

Hope this helps.

Gary

Offline Howie

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Thanks Gary,
I have made contact will Bill, & he can confirm the clocks came from the 25th Broadway building, hoping now we can get some photographic proof... thanks again

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2018, 05:07 PM »
That's great, Howie. I'm glad you were able to get confirmation. When you find the photos please do share!

Online Barumfox

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Howie

Pleased I could help - look forward to seeing photos of clocks in situ at 25 Broadway - great piece of Cunard history.

Gary

Offline Howie

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Bill hasn't any photos of the clocks or interior but says that he remembers them from the main floor near the Rotunda & Cunard Gallery.... if any one has any pics from 1921-1970's? would be greatly appreciated...

Offline Howie

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2018, 11:09 AM »
apparently the clocks were in the bank area of the building by the elevators.... getting closer to finding out... will try & contact E Howard & co & see if they have any records of the clock orders, the company that ordered the clocks was Twentyfive Broadway Corporaton & not Cunard line, the bank that was in the building was Mechanics & Metals National Bank.... the search continues..

Last crossing of a British-registered Cunard ship

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 1497
Last post Nov 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
by Bruce Nicholls
In your opinion what was QE2's "final nail in the coffin" with Cunard?

Started by Thomas HypherBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 76
Views: 2831
Last post Sep 16, 2017, 09:51 PM
by trevorc
Cunard's QE2 website

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 17
Views: 3570
Last post May 31, 2015, 09:30 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
Animals travelling Cunard

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard