Author Topic: Replicate Whole Olympic-class, or just Titanic?  (Read 37 times)

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Destiny always finds you first.
Replicate Whole Olympic-class, or just Titanic?
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Many people have proposed building a fully-functioning near replica of the Titanic. But the one thing we all noticed that were pretty much the same, is that none of those proposals included the whole Olympic-class.

Now personally I'd also be in favor of a Britannic replica, as she never even served as an ocean liner. Olympic, not so much, and it isn't because I don't favor her, it's just that she already had a successful career, so building a replica of her alongside replicas of her ill-fated sisters who never enjoyed the same service as she had is pretty redundant in my opinion.

Again, not that I'm saying "no" to it. But seriously, if someone actually builds a working replica of Titanic, should they also do ones of Olympic and Britannic, just Titanic and Britannic, or just Titanic alone?

QE2: the liner against which all others are measured.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Replicate Whole Olympic-class, or just Titanic?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:34 PM »
There may well be a market for a new build four-stacker as a one off, if it was properly marketed and not positioned as "a replica of the Titanic" - which it couldn't be if it was intended for anything other than static use.

By that I mean if you had a modern ship with the external appearance of a four-stacker of old.

An exact replica would not be practical - it simply would not meet any of the regulations required for a ship these days.

One would work; it would have a great novelty value and that would count for a lot in marketing.

Three replicas to re-create a whole class just for the sake of it?  No - that would not be viable.

Three old-appearance ships as a fleet could work provided you could find a market where the timetable for them would fit in with holiday habits and you could make the voyage part of the holiday within standard industry changeover days.

However, there are not many routes where you could do that.  Certainly not the Atlantic run.

You might like this old thread of mine: https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1283.0.html

Notice the differences between the idea ( which I can see ) you are trying to get across in your various threads and the idea in that thread.  It's not a replica - or replicas - for the sake of it; it's an attempt to show how a "classic" look could work and the first thing you'll notice is it's much bigger ships and quite fast in order to produce a viable sailing timetable that would fit the requirements defined above.

The other big difference is that to get the required speeds would almost certainly require a nuclear powered ship - and a well known marine architect to whom I showed that thread agreed that nuclear would be a must to get those speeds without breaking the bank on fuel consumption.

So... similar ideas, but very big differences.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Trevor Casey

• On a short personal break
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Forum Member since March 3, 2017
Re: Replicate Whole Olympic-class, or just Titanic?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:57 PM »
I have no clue.

(Heads up, to keep topics like these from being moved, you should put them in chat. It would make it easier for the admins here!)
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."-Princess Diana

If QE2 "did a Titanic" would she survive?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 1765
Last post Aug 19, 2010, 05:18 PM
by Imonlygoingforone
TITANIC & Ocean Liner Based Plays, Films & Musicals

Started by Robert Neal MarshallBoard Ships

Replies: 0
Views: 901
Last post Mar 15, 2014, 05:46 PM
by Robert Neal Marshall
Clive Palmer Plans to build Titanic II