Author Topic: Unusual Transatlantic Crossings in 2018 and 2019  (Read 759 times)

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
Unusual Transatlantic Crossings in 2018 and 2019
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a good New Year, Christmas, and Boxing Day.

I recently noticed that in late May there is a 10 day crossing that makes a stop in Le Havre in May 2018, an October 2018 round trip 17 night transatlantic crossing that adds a stop in Zeebrugge, and another transatlantic crossing on July 14th 2019 that is a 14 night transatlantic crossing that makes calls in Halifax and Iceland. It can be paired with a regular transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton for a total of 21 nights.

What are your thoughts on each of these unorthodox destinations (though the 10 day one with a stop in Le Havre sounds traditional)?
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018, 02:29 AM by Hank Hargrove »
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: Unusual Transatlantic Crossings in 2018 and 2019
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a good New Year, Christmas, and Boxing Day.

I recently noticed that in late May there is a 10 day crossing that makes a stop in Le Havre in May 2018, an October 2018 round trip 17 night transatlantic crossing that adds a stop in Zeebrugge, and another transatlantic crossing on July 14th 2019 that is a 14 night transatlantic crossing that makes calls in Halifax and Iceland. It can be paired with a regular transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton for a total of 21 nights.

What are your thoughts on each of these unorthodox destinations (though the 10 day one with a stop in Le Havre sounds traditional)?

Hello Hank,

I had a good Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Year. Hope you did too!

QM2 has called in Halifax quite often in the past as part of roundtrip transatlantics (I've been on one such voyage myself). But it's interesting and I think great to see calls in Iceland and Le Harve (particularly for visiting the country of her birth and a port with a rich maritime history).

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:52 AM »
Hello Hank,

I had a good Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Year. Hope you did too!

QM2 has called in Halifax quite often in the past as part of roundtrip transatlantics (I've been on one such voyage myself). But it's interesting and I think great to see calls in Iceland and Le Harve (particularly for visiting the country of her birth and a port with a rich maritime history).

Thomas

Hi Thomas!

I’ve always thought the Halifax stops were useful. Are you able to board in Halifax as you are in New York, Southampton, and Hamburg or is it just a stop for the enjoyment of passengers heading to New York or Southampton?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:57 AM »
Hi Thomas!

I’ve always thought the Halifax stops were useful. Are you able to board in Halifax as you are in New York, Southampton, and Hamburg or is it just a stop for the enjoyment of passengers heading to New York or Southampton?

I'm not sure, and don't really have a way to check unfortunately. I seem to recall a small number of people did join us but it could be my memory playing tricks on me again lol as it was back in August 2014 (my last trip to date).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Hi Thomas!

Having visited Halifax in 2015 on my one and only transatlantic crossing, I enjoyed it once, but wouldn't want to return.  In fact I'd actively avoid any crossing that stopped there.  Having said that, the massive supermarket right next to the ship was very handy before setting off on a 6 day crossing, and the lobster roll we had at the market were out of this world and we still talk about them.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I'd love to visit Halifax again and if possible more places in Canada such as Quebec. Peggy's Cove was special in more ways than one due to the lovely lighthouse and windswept area and on a sombre note due to Swissair Flight 111.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:39 AM »
Having visited Halifax in 2015 on my one and only transatlantic crossing, I enjoyed it once, but wouldn't want to return.  In fact I'd actively avoid any crossing that stopped there.  Having said that, the massive supermarket right next to the ship was very handy before setting off on a 6 day crossing, and the lobster roll we had at the market were out of this world and we still talk about them.

Hi Rob! Do you know if people are able to board in Canada instead of New York?

Interesting to hear about the supermarket. I wonder if they started stopping there since they stop there on July 4th cruises.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:31 PM »
I'm not sure, and don't really have a way to check unfortunately. I seem to recall a small number of people did join us but it could be my memory playing tricks on me again lol as it was back in August 2014 (my last trip to date).

My last trip was in July before your trip. I feel like it should be a good time for me to start looking into another crossing.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Hank, my feeling is that you can board at any port of call, but you might be asked to reserve a cabin from a more major port (e.g. New York). You need to check this out though.

We have experience with the other side of the coin so to speak. During the Autumn Colours cruise, a person had arranged to leave the ship in Quebec, rather than crossing back to Southampton. She had to pay for the full voyage including the crossing, but there was no problem about her earlier disembarkation.

Unusual places to see QE2 pictures

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 35
Views: 8299
Last post Aug 31, 2017, 08:07 AM
by Lynda Bradford