Author Topic: Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth in Vintage Photos  (Read 17482 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth in Vintage Photos
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Looks like a ferry?  Staten Island maybe?

Peter - I mean the one with two funnels, and looks more like a passenger-cargo ship!
She's not the same ship as the Queen with the life-ring, the one off-loading the Rolls is she?
Her masts aren't QE's masts...Unless her masts were changed post-war
Interesting...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:16 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Peter - I mean the one with two funnels, and looks more like a passenger-cargo ship!
She's not the same ship as the Queen with the life-ring, the one off-loading the Rolls is she?
Her masts aren't QE's masts...Unless her masts were changed post-war
Interesting...

Yes, I'm talking about the small two funnel vessel in the opening scenes as well.

I'll do a bit of Googling... stand by...

Well.... it wasn't the old Staten Island ferry, although that did indeed have two funnels: http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=571&q=1950s+staten+island+ferry&gbv=2&oq=1950s+staten+island+ferry&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...1922.12328.0.12578.25.9.0.16.16.0.47.406.9.9.0...0.0.TFsU71TKXcs

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:37 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58 AM »
Ooh! The first ship sailing by in the early part of the film - what is she?

(Isn't the Rolls-Royce a 1938 Phantom ll Mulliner; think so!)

Appears to be Cunard's cargo ship ALSATIA, formerly Silver Line's SILVERPLANE

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 01:14 AM »
Appears to be Cunard's cargo ship ALSATIA, formerly Silver Line's SILVERPLANE

.....or her sister Andria (Silverbriar)http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Andria-1.html
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014, 06:38 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 01:44 AM »

.....or her sister Andria (Silverbriar)http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/Andria-1.html.

yes, could be "Andria", but after studying the name on the bow till I got a headache, I think it appears more "Alsatia" than "Andria", but it's difficult to say for sure...    ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014, 06:38 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 10:43 AM »
yes, could be "Andria", but after studying the name on the bow till I got a headache, I think it appears more "Alsatia" than "Andria", but it's difficult to say for sure...    ;)
Thanks So Much Kyle and Riskygizmo - your searching's much appreciated :)
She's a lovely looking ship - the sort that tempts me to think ' I want one of those'!
(I used nearly a month's financial supply of internet G looking/searching yesterday - now can't shouldn't search videos' again till June :()

One question regarding the liner - if the ship was a Cunard Queen - she'd have had the pre-fix RMS on her life-rings, wouldn't she?
Rosie
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:44 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45 AM »
One question regarding the liner - if the ship was a Cunard Queen - she'd have had the pre-fix RMS on her life-rings, wouldn't she?
Rosie

No.

Yes.

I have seen examples of both in photos, though "RMS" appears only in the older (pre-war) photos in my experience.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 01:11 PM »
No.

Yes.

I have seen examples of both in photos, though "RMS" appears only in the older (pre-war) photos in my experience.

Hi to you, Kyle
Re. Your 'No'
Is this because you don't think the liner is a Cunard Queen, or Cunard ship, even?
Yet - with a wake and stern deck like that, it's got to be a Liner, hasn't it?
I wonder what your thoughts are regarding the ship that the film was made on...?
(Really hope that you won't mind my curiosity - borne out of naivety!)
Enjoy the weekend!
Rosie

bobso

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08 PM »
 In my mail box this evening-- RMS Queen Mary East and RMS Queen Elizabeth West

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 12:24 AM »
I wonder what your thoughts are regarding the ship that the film was made on...?

Queen Elizabeth   

:)

We know it's a Cunard liner as she sets out from piers north of the French Line piers.  Of course there are other piers north of the French Line... but we see half a life-ring that clearly says "Queen", the deck chairs and cushions are identical to those on Cunard, the views we have of the aft decks don't appear to be Mary's, and as has been said, the arrangement of the equipment on the bow is identical to that of Queen Elizabeth's. 

I liked seeing the bellboy with his dinner gong, a rare capture.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:18 AM by Stowaway2k »

Offline Ivan Smith

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 12:35 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing the photographs/link - they were great, especially the interiors....Ivan.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 01:22 PM »
She's a lovely looking ship - the sort that tempts me to think ' I want one of those'!

Rosie, I know what you mean. They are very bonny ships and if you read the description of them they were built with passenger accommodation, though this was never used as such. My History teacher at school, an old "Africa Hand" with the Colonial Office at the fag end of Empire, told us he much prefered travelling on these small cargo liners to the big express steamers because they had the feeling almost of a private yacht.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Rosie, I know what you mean. They are very bonny ships and if you read the description of them they were built with passenger accommodation, though this was never used as such. My History teacher at school, an old "Africa Hand" with the Colonial Office at the fag end of Empire, told us he much prefered travelling on these small cargo liners to the big express steamers because they had the feeling almost of a private yacht.

Hi riskygizmo
This really is pushing the boat out, in regards to sailing well Off-Topic
and it's extremely tempting to head off and start a new Topic in Shanties namely 'Desirable Small Ships'!
I agree with you entirely - the desire for a private yacht, complete with funnel has long appealed, and if it was anchored off either somewhere in the N Western Isles, or perhaps the Med - and as close as possible to Portofino, so much the better :)
(By the way - do you know why the modern, large 'motor-boat' - a la the Oligarchs, is called a 'yacht'?!)
Isn't this more of a 'yacht'?!
http://www.elmarine.com/delphine-yacht-charter.html

To get some way back to the topic - Wasn't it because of the beautiful lines/design/ perspective and ability of the smaller ships that Cunard was able to replicate them as large, and then very large ships..?

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #53 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Another film from Shipgeek on You Tube, this one showing both the Mary and the Lizzie with a wee bit of old Lahn- dahn- tahn for good measure.

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 10:57 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #54 on: Mar 29, 2013, 03:25 AM »
Some lovely photography there that just leaves me wanting more more more...    :)

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Stumbled across this on you tube. Don't think its been posted, at least not in this topic. Enjoy.

Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #56 on: Oct 08, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Alan, this footage is incredible, especially the overhead views not seen very often if at all.  Also some very poignant footage. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #57 on: Sep 25, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Two Ships Passing In The Night!
It's so good to know that Commodore Geoffrey T Marr and Captain Treasure Jones (also of QE2) met and...
http://www.oceanlinersmagazine.com/2014/09/24/two-ships-passing-night/

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #58 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Lovely image of the two ships, thanks for posting Rosie.
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #59 on: Sep 25, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Thank you, Rosie, very much for posting the link to the article and picture.  It must have been a most impressive yet bittersweet moment...  June 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #60 on: Apr 20, 2017, 04:23 PM »
And here is "Getting there is half the fun", a Cunard publicity film from the 1950s :

At 18 mins, it shows the portrait of the Queen Mother, later to be found on QE2...

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2017, 11:07 AM »
And here is "Getting there is half the fun", a Cunard publicity film from the 1950s

I would love to be able to do that crossing from the 1950's but with a lot of today's mod cons :)