Author Topic: How Would You Change QM2?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Lido Diner
  • QE2: the liner which all others are measured.
How Would You Change QM2?
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 02:37 AM »
As the unofficial sequel to Bob C.'s "How Would You Change QM1?", I want to do this on QM2.

Now when I say this, I mean exterior wise, not interior, because her interior is Cunard-grand enough. Her exterior I'm asking about because since John Brown & Co. closed down, she never got to be built there. So this exterior question is pure speculation.

I highly doubt she'd really change, but for the sake of the question, I'd say that she'd be more of a mix between her original depiction and QE2: basically, her funnel and mast would be a bit taller, with a smaller mast replacing the 2 exhaust pipes behind the funnel, with her sides being completely enclosed around the lifeboats like with QE2 (if you know what I mean), and finally, with her windows looking a bit more traditional.

So what do you think? How would you change QM2?

Offline Thomas Hypher

Re: How Would You Change QM2?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:53 AM »
As the unofficial sequel to Bob C.'s "How Would You Change QM1?", I want to do this on QM2.

Now when I say this, I mean exterior wise, not interior, because her interior is Cunard-grand enough. Her exterior I'm asking about because since John Brown & Co. closed down, she never got to be built there. So this exterior question is pure speculation.

I highly doubt she'd really change, but for the sake of the question, I'd say that she'd be more of a mix between her original depiction and QE2: basically, her funnel and mast would be a bit taller, with a smaller mast replacing the 2 exhaust pipes behind the funnel, with her sides being completely enclosed around the lifeboats like with QE2 (if you know what I mean), and finally, with her windows looking a bit more traditional.

So what do you think? How would you change QM2?

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately QM2's signal/forward mast and funnel will never be taller as they are the tallest they can be in order for her to fit under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge at the entrance to the harbour at New York. She barely fits as it is and she has to aim for the middle of the bridge (highest point of the span). Stephen Payne (her chief designer) and his team had to work really hard to make a funnel that functioned well with the scoop given this limitation. Having said that her funnel is still very imposing and impressive when standing in front of it!

QM2 did change the most significantly yet in June 2016 with her major refit in Hamburg, getting a new deck of cabins forward, behind and above the bridge. I think this has been a bit detrimental to her profile and has ruined her top deck "experience" for lack of a better word.

I am not sure what you mean by enclosing her sides around the lifeboats? Do you mean sealing up/getting rid of the hull cut outs for the hull balconies? If so that is one of her best features as they are very sheltered balconies. Also they are near 90ft above the water so don't endanger her or cause seakeeping problems. Cunard (Carnival UK) will not remove balconies nor would any other company due to economics.

One of the exhaust pipes is the exhaust for the onboard incinerator (Portside exhaust pipe) and the deck on top of the deckhouse both exhaust pipes share is an outside deck just for the crew.

I am also not sure what you mean by more traditional windows, and where these would be? Do you also mean portholes?

Personally I wouldn't want her changed anymore than she has been and I hope she stays largely original.

On a side note: QM2 had the wrong Cunard funnel colours originally and had to have her Bridge wings extended as original viewing angles when docking were not good enough. I can post me and my parents before and after photos of the bridge wings if people want.

Thomas
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2017, 08:42 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Lido Diner
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Hey Thomas

Ok, DID NOT KNOW that QM2's funnel and mast height were that short because of how difficult it'd be to pass under the bridge, although I guess common sense should've told me.

As for her hull cuts, don't exactly know what you mean, but does this help?

Link: File:RMS Queen Mary 2 in Trondheim 2007.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Queen Mary 2 - An introduction to the new liner

I mean the gap that you see in her side for the lifeboats, with her front and back ends sticking out.

As for "more traditional windows", I don't mean all of them, as she's a modern liner, but some on her hull could look a bit more like QE2's windows (not the portholes), if that helps.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Hey Thomas

Ok, DID NOT KNOW that QM2's funnel and mast height were that short because of how difficult it'd be to pass under the bridge, although I guess common sense should've told me.

As for her hull cuts, don't exactly know what you mean, but does this help?

Link: File:RMS Queen Mary 2 in Trondheim 2007.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Queen Mary 2 - An introduction to the new liner

I mean the gap that you see in her side for the lifeboats, with her front and back ends sticking out.

As for "more traditional windows", I don't mean all of them, as she's a modern liner, but some on her hull could look a bit more like QE2's windows (not the portholes), if that helps.

I think I know what you mean, where her foward and aft superstructure occupies the full width of her hull at her bow and aft sections. She was designed as such to protect her lifeboats/tenders and to provide an open to air Boat Deck. A few modern cruise ships do away with this by having the lifeboats/tenders overhang the side of the ship when hanging from their davits. Stephen Payne (her Chief Designer who I used to know personally quite well) and his team designed her like this because she's an Ocean Liner that's designed to go through most if not all the weather the North Atlantic can create (Hurricanes included and as she has done so). Overhanging lifeboats/tenders would be damaged or ripped off the ship in such weather. Also he lobbied for the lifeboats/tenders to be placed higher up on the ship (contrary to regulations due to rules on time for lifeboats/tenders to reach the water in an emergency - where other exceptions to those regulations for her design also had to be made) as Ocean Liners of the past (QE2 included) had. It is worth noting that QM2's Boat Deck where her lifeboats/tenders are is about the height of QE2's bridge from the water. Also, her superstructure occupying the full width of her hull at the bow (in particular) and her stern (not so much but still important) protects the lifeboats/tenders from the worst of the weather if the height they're at wasn't enough (particularly compared to a modern cruise ship). QM2's forward superstructure is a plated in version of the original QM's forward superstructure and is designed to deflect the weather (mostly spray from waves at that point) if the QE2 inspired Clipper Bow and Normandie inspired breakwater don't first. QM2's forward superstructure also has an advanced window washing system that is quite unique as far as I know (to deal with salt spray mainly). QM2's Bridge is an enlarged and enclosed version of QE2's. However having said what I've said, many cruise ships such as P&O's Oriana, Aurora, and Oceana, and some past Ocean Liners such as P&O's Canberra have their superstructure's fill around the lifeboats/tenders so the lifeboats/tenders are inset into the side of the ship at the expense of a more open to the air Boat Deck for people to enjoy. QM2's designers (including Stephen Payne) wanted her to be a ship where people are able to enjoy and look out at the sea as much as possible and passengers (as I know myself) are encouraged to look out her windows and from her open decks instead of looking inside as is often the case on cruise ships today (floating resorts where being at sea is irrelevant to most other than as a means of getting from port to port on a cruise).

QE2's type of windows are not really that traditional to Ocean Liner's particularly, and relates to the equally not that traditional layout of most of her public rooms. QM2 is more traditional in that sense in that most of her major and large public rooms are on her lower decks within her hull and not higher up in her superstructure, just like the old QM and QE. However I agree that QM2 has lower deck windows (not the portholes the old QM and QE had) which are often found on modern cruise ships who ironically follow the old Ocean Liner layout for most major public rooms. This is done and was done due to weight distribution, centre of gravity and the reduced motion of the ship the lower down one is when onboard. QE2 and other passenger ships of her era (early purpose built cruise ships for example) bucked this tradition.

Sorry for my essay!

Thomas
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:44 PM »
In my post prior to my last post in this topic, I should have said I don't want her to change externally anymore than she has been already. I think plenty of improvements to her interiors could be made in the better use of space and arrangement of certain rooms, as discussed in a couple of other recent topics on the forum here.

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Lido Diner
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:04 PM »
No need to worry about the essay; I do that every time!  ;D

As for the lifeboats, I didn't mean that they'd hang over the hull if QM2 were designed the way I said, they'd stay right where they are. I just thought that if the hull cuts weren't there, then they'd provide a bit of shelter for them, as the boats are constantly exposed to the elements, you know?

But you are right, she looks good the way she is, regardless. Not like she'd change much if she were built at John Brown's instead.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:18 PM »
No need to worry about the essay; I do that every time!  ;D

As for the lifeboats, I didn't mean that they'd hang over the hull if QM2 were designed the way I said, they'd stay right where they are. I just thought that if the hull cuts weren't there, then they'd provide a bit of shelter for them, as the boats are constantly exposed to the elements, you know?

But you are right, she looks good the way she is, regardless. Not like she'd change much if she were built at John Brown's instead.

Strictly speaking they are not hull cuts as they are above her hull and main deck (hence my confusion) and is instead where the superstructure is set in relative to her hull for most of her length, so it would be the lifeboats/tenders not being sheltered as much as potentially possible due to the set in superstructure. I was confused as I was thinking of the actual hull cuts which are for some of the lower deck cabins and contain very sheltered balconies.

I agree that a different design of her superstructure could offer even more protection from the elements however the lifeboats/tenders are about 90 feet above the water so often encounter only spray at the most (the bow, breakwater, and if needed the forward superstructure dissipating the waves and resultant spray and hence the set in superstructure along most of her length to allow that to happen).

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:24 PM »
This is one of my photos from such a cabin, the hull cut out balconies are larger and offer much more privacy than the balcony cabins in her superstructure, being cheaper too! They are a great private deck so to speak!

QM2 Transatlantic and Canada, August 2014 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Sorry the photo isn't showing the correct way round but clicking on the photo will take you to my Flickr (subtle advertising I know lol) where it is the correct way round.

Thomas

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:32 PM »
And another of my photos of her magnificent funnel in the evening Sun:

One of her two whistles on her funnel (not horns - she has one of those on her foredeck and another on her signal/forward mast) is from the original Queen Mary and is on loan from Long Beach apparently. The other is a replica to fulfil modern ship horn/whistle regulations. Both run on compressed air (the original being converted from the steam it used on Queen Mary) but can issue steam - only for effect though. Spot the CCTV camera in the middle, top, and front of her funnel ;) .

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:24 PM »
And another of my photos of her magnificent funnel in the evening Sun:

One of her two whistles on her funnel (not horns - she has one of those on her foredeck and another on her signal/forward mast) is from the original Queen Mary and is on loan from Long Beach apparently. The other is a replica to fulfil modern ship horn/whistle regulations. Both run on compressed air (the original being converted from the steam it used on Queen Mary) but can issue steam - only for effect though. Spot the CCTV camera in the middle, top, and front of her funnel ;) .
Why is that cctv camera there?
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Not to spy on people I hope ;) . It is likely connected to the ECR (in particular) and the Bridge to monitor the ship and her surroundings. It faces almost straight ahead, suggesting that.

Offline Kevin Hicks

• Imaginative Speedster
  • Lido Diner
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Now that......... is cool! 8)

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:34 PM »
Zoomed in
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Zoomed in

I have a much more zoomed in photo I took at the time. Will try and find it, however it is blurred as I took these photos hand held and zooming in magnifies any movement.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I have a much more zoomed in photo I took at the time. Will try and find it, however it is blurred as I took these photos hand held and zooming in magnifies any movement.
I’m able to zoom it in because the new IOS update allows me to with screenshots!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2017, 01:57 PM by Trevor Casey »

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:26 AM »
Here's the closer photo I took at around the same time (blurred and not very good as I said):

Queen Mary Shops to change..

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 10
Views: 2965
Last post Apr 13, 2015, 11:19 PM
by Brandon Sterkel
If QE2 is scrapped, will it change what you think of Cunard?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 55
Views: 10197
Last post Dec 12, 2017, 01:25 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
P&O - A change to house colours?

Started by CAPBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 27
Views: 7118
Last post Feb 09, 2015, 08:40 PM
by tdickson
Change of engines

Started by Geoff StoneBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 1000
Last post Aug 17, 2013, 03:26 AM
by Chris Frame
How would you change QM1?

Started by Bob C.Board RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 7
Views: 1718
Last post Dec 06, 2017, 11:01 PM
by Oceanic