Who has been driving on my deck?
Hurricane Luis Damage Sept 19 '95
Anchor Chain Scratches
The Rampant Lion Still Roars
Aluminum patches and blanked out windows
Growing marks
Many coats of paint, many years active service

Voting closes: Jan 02, 2018, 12:07 PM

Author Topic: Poll for Nov 2017 : Marks of character, scratches, dents, repairs and patches  (Read 337 times)

Offline Lynda Bradford

The theme for the October competition "Marks of character, scratches, dents, repairs and patches" was chosen by Hamburger, the winner of the September competition.

Thank you to everyone who submitted pictures, which we really appreciate, and we hope that you enjoy choosing your 3 favourites.

Voting is easy, but you need to be a Forum member and log into the Forum to vote.  Whether or not you have submitted photos, please support those who have participated, by choosing your three favourite ones, noting the details, then tick the relevant box on the poll.  Please do not vote for your own photos, if you have entered some. 

To make it easier for you we have posted the pictures below, however you can also view the photos in the Gallery, where you can see them all at once, in thumbnail form, plus you can view larger versions of the pictures by clicking on the photo to see medium size, then click again, to see them in large size.

Go to the Gallery Album "Marks of character, scratches, dents, repairs and patches".

You will not see the outcome until after voting has closed on 1 January 2018, giving all time zones the chance to catch up with the voting deadline. 

As always the choice is yours - enjoy!

The prize this month is the book "RMS Queen Elizabeth 2" by Janette McCutcheon, donated by Isabelle Prondzynski, or a jigsaw of the prizewinning photo, donated by June Ingram.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2017, 09:38 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Thats a hell of a hull...

Just a little graze!

Wrinkly funnel

What's a few dents between friends!

Another dent

Porthole patch

Latest scrape from New York

September 1992, Blohm&Voss Shipyard, Hamburg

Refit

Like a stranded whale...

Scratches all over the place!

Touching up with Federal Gray!

Every dent must tell a QE2 story.

Exposed Aluminium

Betty said they were bullet holes from 1982

After The Wave

Patchwork

Scratch n Dent

Hurricane Luis Bow Damage

how many patches makes a Quilt

She wares it oh so well

Find the patch

Rusty Stuff!

All secured

The Bumpy Funnel

who scratched our ship?

Broken window in the Golden Lion

Who has been driving on my deck?

Hurricane Luis Damage Sept 19 '95

Anchor Chain Scratches

The Rampant Lion Still Roars

Aluminum patches and blanked out windows

Growing marks

Many coats of paint, many years active service

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2017, 05:55 PM by June Ingram »
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

The poll is open -- I hope you will enjoy the photos and the memories! QE2 was one hard-working ship, and at times it showed.

And do appreciate the photographers by giving your three votes :) .

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Well, that's my vote in - after the usual head scratching.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

My 3 votes in, tricky as usual!
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Just voted! Loved looking at all these photos! :)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline pete cain

That was hard,  welcome back the Christmas moji things, we must be getting near.

Not wanting to start another topic, as this question relates to one of the photos, (however mods will decide).
  The photo 'like a stranded whale' , shows a definate line of rivets running fwd to aft out of shot,  with a definate overlap.  I thought she was all welded, is this repair work from say Marthas Vinyard,  or suchlike, or is this original,    never seen it before , unaware of the existance, was it both sides,   SKILLY where are you :-\ :-\

Offline Trevor Casey

This is too hard! I want to vote for them all!
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Thomas Hypher

That was hard,  welcome back the Christmas moji things, we must be getting near.

Not wanting to start another topic, as this question relates to one of the photos, (however mods will decide).
  The photo 'like a stranded whale' , shows a definate line of rivets running fwd to aft out of shot,  with a definate overlap.  I thought she was all welded, is this repair work from say Marthas Vinyard,  or suchlike, or is this original,    never seen it before , unaware of the existance, was it both sides,   SKILLY where are you :-\ :-\

Maybe temporary repairs after Martha's Vineyard but before complete repairs in Germany?

EDIT: Sorry was taken in November 1999 at Bremerhaven so can't be temporary from Martha's Vineyard. It's certainly curious to see. This was the first refit under Carnival and saw her return to the Charcoal/Federal Grey hull from the Midnight Blue hull of Project Lifestyle - most notably.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2017, 06:32 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Trevor Casey

I voted! So hard!
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline pete cain

Hi Thomas , thanks for answering,  an interesting photo , hope somebody 'in the know' picks up on this & lets us know   pete

Offline Lynda Bradford

Fantastic pictures.  Remember we have a topic on refits and repairs with links to more detailed information in individual topics (work ongoing)
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4602.msg78502.html#msg78502

I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

I'm repeating this request, it is a bit tucked away here, but somebody out there must know,were these rivet patterns on the blueprints?, I have been rooting around with no success.....

O K found 2 photos posted by Mike Gallagher of said rivets in the 'Below the waterline' topic  #18. Goes to show all the answers to all the questions regarding QE2 are here on the forum, just got to go findem. Phew time for a vin....
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2017, 05:32 PM by pete cain »

Offline Bob C.

This is the best match of photos to theme I've ever seen in the contest!  Well done to all submitters; this will be a difficult choice and I will need to spend some time choosing.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
No votes since 9 December...Please have a look at all of QE2's scratches, dents, and band-aids and vote for your three favorite photos !

I still have to vote but can't decide on only three.  I would like to vote for them all, but can't...alas.   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Trevor Casey

Does anyone know how the window broke in the Golden Lion?

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

No votes since 9 December...

This month, we have a large number of entries, but only 11 voters so far.

This means that no photo has any significant number of votes, and very many have received no votes at all.

It would be great if you could support the competition and the photographers by taking just a few minutes to select your three favourites and declaring your decision by ticking the relevant boxes! Thank you :) .