Author Topic: Saga Ruby (ex-Caronia and ex-Vistafjord)  (Read 33274 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Saga Ruby (ex-Caronia and ex-Vistafjord)
« Reply #75 on: Oct 21, 2017, 09:33 AM »
We received an email from Paul Tanner with a link to a website with pictures of the interior of Saga Ruby.

Sad news about Alang.

You might be interested in this link to a Gujarati Web site which indicates that the "luxury items" contained within the chip are being sold and contains 17 internal photos of the Saga Ruby. The text will translate to English - I love the bit that says "Ship located to break into Alang is the final vessel made by the British Ruler. The luxurious ship was given facilities to hit a stunning luxury hotel."
Everyone's LAST chance to see her interior!!!
I am still looking for further info about the sale of items!

https://www.divyabhaskar.co.in/news/GUJ-GNG-saga-ruby-ship-came-to-alang-for-scrapped-see-inside-view-of-oasia-gujarati-news-5578065-PHO.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #76 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:22 PM »
We received an email from Paul Tanner with a link to a website with pictures of the interior of Saga Ruby.

If I understand it correct, these pictures have been taken just before scrapping commenced? If so, what a terrible waste, she looks superb in those photos, just find a place mooring place, and your open for business.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #77 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:15 AM »

If I understand it correct, these pictures have been taken just before scrapping commenced? If so, what a terrible waste, she looks superb in those photos, just find a place mooring place, and your open for business.

The photos look like they were taken during her time with Saga. She would not have been in such good condition with the failed static hotel conversion and certainly not by the time she was beached. One can see she's docked somewhere, but not sure where.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #78 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Off Pendennis Point, Cornwall. taken 26.7.2012
Thanks to John Durrant

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33847785@N00/7651410344/

For Bob C - do you think this illustrates a tumblehome?

Saga Ruby anchored off Pendennis Point. by john durrant, on Flickr

And theres sheer all the way up to the boat deck on this one!! Woohoo!!  ;)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #79 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Hi Gav,
'Every which way' it was possible to see the sheer from and on board both ships - and from standing at the stern, looking towards the bow - 'the only way was up'!  One of the best things (apart from QE2, of course!) was to spend hours, and hours on Saga Ruby. We joined the Maritime Memories 'group' to various places that didn't matter - mid -low Atlantic,  and had the greatest time had in years - engineers, navigators, seafarers all, Breakfast, Lunch outside every day - Crew Choir that sang in and out of tune, and, yes, we absolutely did run down hill from bow to her stern!
I have lots of pics - and although no time to post at the minute, will try to soon.
All the best to you both
Rosie
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2017, 12:06 PM by Twynkle »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #80 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Rosie will recognise this shot showing the pronounced rise on the corridor on board Ruby, it was quite a steep climb the further forward you got

Offline pete cain

« Reply #81 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Shame there wasn't an entry for Ropes for Ruby here is one, I wish I had been camera happy when with QE2 :'(

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #82 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:28 PM »
The photos look like they were taken during her time with Saga. She would not have been in such good condition with the failed static hotel conversion and certainly not by the time she was beached. One can see she's docked somewhere, but not sure where.

Wasn't she ready to use either as a static ore operating vessel when lister for sale the last time? I can remember reading that on the listing.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #83 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Yes, Bob, there had been a lot of work in renovations on Ruby, and that is why it seemed that she was sent off to the breakers so quickly.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #84 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:22 PM »

Wasn't she ready to use either as a static ore operating vessel when lister for sale the last time? I can remember reading that on the listing.

As far as I know she wasn't completed as the static hotel her new owners planned her to be because they went bankrupt. She was never going to be anything other than static after her major engine troubles with Saga, unless her owners had a bottomless pit of money for her increasingly frequent engine problems - which it turns out they didn't as they went bankrupt trying to get her to operating in a static role.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #85 on: Oct 25, 2017, 01:36 PM »
As far as I know she wasn't completed as the static hotel her new owners planned her to be because they went bankrupt. She was never going to be anything other than static after her major engine troubles with Saga, unless her owners had a bottomless pit of money for her increasingly frequent engine problems - which it turns out they didn't as they went bankrupt trying to get her to operating in a static role.

Hi Thomas -

She was not completed as a static hotel, but a great deal of money was spent and a great deal of refurnishing was done in a modern/Asian style before it was decided the owners could not make a go of it.

June   :)

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #86 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:00 PM »

I have never heard of the engine problems that she encountered during here final years, what where those problems?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #87 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Hi Bob -

Here is just one link to a mention of Ruby's problems.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5694.msg59214.html#msg59214

There are more if you search on The Forum for "Saga Ruby".  Then skim through the entries in the various topics.

June   :)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #88 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:42 PM »

I have never heard of the engine problems that she encountered during here final years, what where those problems?

Hi Bob
She did have considerably serious engine problems.
This was to the extent that her final world cruise was cancelled - we were given one week's notice of the cancellation.
Not good either for the company, or for those of us who were booked on that sailing.
We were more fortunate than many others, we sailed to Norway for her final call there -
and experienced time on board that was very special.
It also included a serious outbreak of norovirus!
Rosie

Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord, ex Gripsholm)

Started by TwynkleBoard Ships

Replies: 202
Views: 65409
Last post Jun 20, 2021, 08:07 PM
by pete cain
New ship(s) for Saga

Started by pete cainBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 6
Views: 1900
Last post Oct 25, 2015, 09:55 PM