Author Topic: Aluminium Fractures  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Michael Gallagher

Aluminium Fractures
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Sorry for the photo quality but here is the plan to repair aluminium fractures in November 1978 after heavy weather damage. You'll see many windows forward on Upper and Quarter Decks port and starboard had to be repaired and strengthened.

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
Re: Aluminium Fractures
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:31 AM »

The aluminium fracture that I recall most vividly was the one associated with the Queens Grill lounge dispense bar. It went up and across the Sports deck and was in the floor (deck) just forward of R/O cabin S4 known as 'Connerty Towers' This crack appeared after the addition of the second layer of penthouses, and as the ship had any number of amateur naval architects in the crew (!) it was thought that these had contributed to the stresses. I remember watching the crack open and close as we sailed though heavy weather. The jagged crack was, at rest, about 4mm opening to 8 and closing to a grinding 0mm.I referred to it as 'Natures Expansion Joint'. At a subsequent drydock it was cut out an replaced with a thick rubber flexible strip to jump across it and allow flexing. The strip was probably 250mm wide and was secured with bolts down either side and seemed to work pretty well. I do recall an earlier attempt to fix it by welding an aluminium doubler across it. That popped on the first N.Atlantic.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I remember watching the crack open and close as we sailed though heavy weather.
My anxiety would be a little triggered but I wouldn’t worry.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:42 PM »

The aluminium fracture that I recall most vividly was the one associated with the Queens Grill lounge dispense bar. It went up and across the Sports deck and was in the floor (deck) just forward of R/O cabin S4 known as 'Connerty Towers' This crack appeared after the addition of the second layer of penthouses, and as the ship had any number of amateur naval architects in the crew (!) it was thought that these had contributed to the stresses. I remember watching the crack open and close as we sailed though heavy weather. The jagged crack was, at rest, about 4mm opening to 8 and closing to a grinding 0mm.I referred to it as 'Natures Expansion Joint'. At a subsequent drydock it was cut out an replaced with a thick rubber flexible strip to jump across it and allow flexing. The strip was probably 250mm wide and was secured with bolts down either side and seemed to work pretty well. I do recall an earlier attempt to fix it by welding an aluminium doubler across it. That popped on the first N.Atlantic.
I would absolutely love to see a video of this, or photos - its the sort of thing that fascinates me.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.