Author Topic: MV Cunard Princess (currently Golden Iris)  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
MV Cunard Princess (currently Golden Iris)
« on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:18 AM »
I don't know if you have caught up with the Golden Iris (once upon a time, MV Cunard Princess) being up for sale?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/Cruise-Ship-959-Passengers---Stock-No.-S2101-3016591/Greece#.Wg01DEqWZPZ

Only 7 mill! (And that's USD funny money). Now, there must be a few members on this site who sailed on the 'White Piglet' and nostalgically yearn for the good old days?

Why don't we get a consortium together and make a bid? At USD 7 million that's only USD 109 375 per share! If each of us talked a mate into joining the consortium that would only be USD 55 000 each. Then all 128 of us would own our own ship! Hell, she theoretically carries 959 pax, so if we could rustle up enough interest and found 959 investors that would only be USD 7300 each.

How cool would that be?  8)

(I don't want to pay for the crewing and fuel costs though. But would consider funding the paper napkins for the lunchtime buffet - one day only)
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 07:36 AM by Boris »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: MV Cunard Princess (currently Golden Iris)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I don't know if you have caught up with the Golden Iris (once upon a time, MV Cunard Princess) being up for sale?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/Cruise-Ship-959-Passengers---Stock-No.-S2101-3016591/Greece#.Wg01DEqWZPZ

Only 7 mill! (And that's USD funny money). Now, there must be a few members on this site who sailed on the 'White Piglet' and nostalgically yearn for the good old days?

Why don't we get a consortium together and make a bid? At USD 7 million that's only USD 109 375 per share! If each of us talked a mate into joining the consortium that would only be USD 55 000 each. Then all 128 of us would own our own ship! Hell, she theoretically carries 959 pax, so if we could rustle up enough interest and found 959 investors that would only be USD 7300 each.

How cool would that be?  8)

(I don't want to pay for the crewing and fuel costs though)

Lovely idea that me and I'm sure many others would want to do - I wish money grew on trees!

On a serious note if this is the case (ship broker websites are notorious for having ships up for sale when they very much aren't) then this is likely the end of the line for yet another former Cunarder. Aliaga, Alang, Chittagong, even China could be beckoning for her :( . Money speaks a lot as it did with the former SS Southern Cross for example, unfortunately it is the way of the business world.

She's currently listed at US$ 15,000,000 on the US version of the website, have they really doubled her price in less than half an hour  ???

Thomas

PS. On the UK version of the website she's listed for sale (again if to be believed) at £ 11,390,387 . She might be in winter layup as she's currently located in Greece. Her funnel and upper decks are visible in some photos of her sister ship the old Cunard Countess on fire a couple of years ago when she was also in winter layup in Greece. Her sistership then known as Ocean Countess was scrapped at Aliaga.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 07:40 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:45 AM »
To further question the validity of the listing later on in the series of photos of her exterior and interior a very different ship (a former NCL ship - also apparently for sale) appears - different funnel layout etc.  ???

Take these ship broker websites with a hefty pinch of salt for sure.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:10 AM »
She might be in winter layup as she's currently located in Greece...

Could well be Thomas. She was alongside in Haifa in early May this year when my wife and I were visiting. Coincidentally we met when both working on the Princess, so it was of great nostalgic significance for her, though of passing interest to me (vive la différence).

I thought Haifa was her home port, but haven't bothered to check on that. Maybe it is and Greece is a cheaper option for lay up?
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 11:10 AM by Boris »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Could well be Thomas. She was alongside in Haifa in early May this year when my wife and I were visiting. Coincidentally we met when both working on the Princess, so it was of great nostalgic interest for her, though of passing interest to me (vive la différence).

I thought Haifa was her home port, but haven't bothered to check on that. Maybe it is and Greece is a cheaper option for lay up?

Greece would appear to be far cheaper as a lot of local (to the Med) cruise ships spend winter there in warm layup and have done for years it would seem.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:19 AM »
She's currently listed at US$ 15,000,000 on the US version of the website, have they really doubled her price in less than half an hour?

Just checked the same link as I posted earlier, and you are correct: has jumped from 7 to 15 mill.

Maybe it is akin airline ticket websites: monitoring the number of 'hits' and escalating the price each time. (I don't really think so - more likely the ad has been placed by a Nigerian General, Prince, Minister or suchlike).
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 12:48 PM by Boris »

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:44 PM »
Reading this great thread about Luxury Liner Row which starts with a photo of all the ships in the NY port that day ... it got me thinking about Cunard Princess and wanted to know a bit more about her.

And then, I found this amazing promotional video from 1986 for Cunard Princess. It is worth watching simply for the SUPER 1980s-tastic vibe of the video and the cruise director singing a jazzy version of "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" about half way thru. But, perhaps most of all, because Master Robin Woodall speaks from the bridge and a young Ron Warwick shows up at about 2:36 minutes in.

(and side note this website seems to be selling cruises on her, so it looks like she's still sailing, is that not correct?)

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2018, 08:48 PM by Scott Ebersold »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Reading this great thread about Luxury Liner Row which starts with a photo of all the ships in the NY port that day ... it got me thinking about Cunard Princess and wanted to know a bit more about her.

And then, I found this amazing promotional video from 1986 for Cunard Princess. It is worth watching simply for the SUPER 1980s-tastic vibe of the video and the cruise director singing a jazzy version of "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" about half way thru. But, perhaps most of all, because Master Robin Woodall speaks from the bridge and a young Ron Warwick shows up at about 2:36 minutes in.

(and side not this website to be selling cruises on her, so it looks like she's still sailing, is that not correct?)

Great video from her Cunard days! I think I can also see Nick Bates on the bridge - or it certainly sounds like him! And QE2 makes a brief appearance in a book :) . She is indeed still sailing as Golden Iris with Mano Maritime. She's currently just arrived at Santorini, Greece (not far from where Sea Diamond sank in 2007) on one of her cruises which seems to start and end in Haifa.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:461436/zoom:10

She does go into Winter layup in Greece, as far as I know and like a number of other cruise ships in the area, and that's where she was when her sister burned out at the same anchorage (there's a photo showing Golden Iris's funnel and Ocean Countess burning  :( ). It seems as though her listing on the "ships for sale" websites could've been false (common with these websites as they don't have permission to advertise the ships for sale a lot of the time apparently and are not the official ship brokers appointed by the ship's owners either).
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2018, 06:28 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Scott

Thanks for reminding me of the video. Cunard did similar ones for QE2, Cunard Princess, Cunard Countess, Vistafjord and Sagafjord and I have a vdeo tape which has all of them on one tape - just spent over an hour watching them all again!

Michael

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Scott

Thanks for reminding me of the video. Cunard did similar ones for QE2, Cunard Princess, Cunard Countess, Vistafjord and Sagafjord and I have a vdeo tape which has all of them on one tape - just spent over an hour watching them all again!

Michael

I was wondering if there were similar videos for the other ships.  I'll have to do a search for them and see if they are online as well! 

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:06 PM »

And an even younger Nick Bates, with hair.
I used to love watching the incabin video of these cunard ships while onboard QE2.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2018, 12:59 AM »
Thanks for the video: brings back many memories. But what struck me was all the male pax were wearing collared shirts and jackets to dinner - most even sported a neck tie. Not one ball cap or polo shirt/T shirt to be seen anywhere at the dinner table. How times have changed <sigh>.

Princess Grill Confusion

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The 1990s

Replies: 1
Views: 108
My 2014 Experience of Cunard 2014

Started by Tom KirrageBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 1610
Cunard documents re 1986/7 refit

Started by Beardy RichBoard The 1980s

Replies: 9
Views: 2975