Author Topic: QE2's Hull Patches - what was each one from?  (Read 3236 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

Re: Hull Patches - what was each one from?
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:43 PM »
I was involved with QM2 from the very beginning and would have to meet Stephen Payne every now and then for an update. I saw her grow from a piece of steel no bigger than a coffee table and would have to go to the yard once a month during build. I played a role in all the key events. But I have zero interest in the ship. I like sailing on her. And I think there are areas which are stunning. But I've not kept one item of collateral about her (a lot I wrote) as really can't get interested at all.

Offline Rod

« Reply #41 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:33 PM »
I was involved with QM2 from the very beginning and would have to meet Stephen Payne every now and then for an update. I saw her grow from a piece of steel no bigger than a coffee table and would have to go to the yard once a month during build. I played a role in all the key events. But I have zero interest in the ship. I like sailing on her. And I think there are areas which are stunning. But I've not kept one item of collateral about her (a lot I wrote) as really can't get interested at all.

My sailing days are probably done. But I feel the same way as you! Especially after my in laws comments about the new Queens.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:05 PM »
With reference to the Japanese warship incident;

Captain Wright and his officers visited the Captains of the warships to apologise but as damage was limited to scratches, lost paintwork and severed lines holding the Koshima the naval officers were not concerned. The US Coast Guard considered the whole incident to be very minor.

HMS Manchester, which was inboard of the Kohima, was trialling a new style gangway, on loan from a UK company, that was connecting them. On the contact, as the Koshima's bow was being pushed into HMS Manchester, so the sterns moved further apart, until the distance was greater than the gangway's length! Sploosh!! Many hundreds of pounds [GBP] of gangway drop to the bottom of New York harbour!!

It would have made a great story line for 'The Navy Lark'!  "Left hand down  a bit Mr Phillips."

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:01 PM »
In haste... Moderators, please Can we please keep separate the discussion of the aluminium superstructure and it's repairs, from the steel hull and it's repairs.

Michael your information is incredible!!  I thought you might have something, but that's quite something!

Awesome information ... I just love the idea of trying to connect photos of repairs to historic events. You could label them in all Dubai for interest!

As requested the Superstructure repairs separated from the Hull topic https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,8005.msg89959.html#msg89959
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 692
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 816
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody