Author Topic: Some fun images  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

Some fun images
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:39 AM »
QE2 in Product Advertising, 1969

Note:  The photos are no longer available on the travel web shots album. 

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565068478JNdRBq

A QE2 Fashion Show, 1969

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565065664ziqDCG

The lost, lamented Lookout Bar

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565095705kloYhS

Vacation City  an early pamphlet with great photos

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565040576lwejaS
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014, 05:11 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Bob C.

Re: Some fun images
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:41 AM »
SA2K, these are great pictures.  I especially like the deck plan of the Lookout Bar. 

Offline Andy F

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Agreed, a great collection of how things were
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

KEV

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2009, 06:31 AM »
I loved looking at these shots-so evocative of the era. Thanks for sharing

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2009, 12:57 PM »

The lost, lamented Lookout Bar

Well its ALL Lost & Lamented now!!   :'(

Great pics Kyle, thanks for posting!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:16 PM »
It would be interesting to know whether it was possible to stand on the deck outside and beneath the Lookout Bar.
On the deck plan above, there is decking shown, on the other hand in some of the old photographs, it looks as if it wouldn't have been possible.
There's a good photograph I saw in a book (Transatlantic Liners at War: Miller and Hutchins) where there's the splendid sight of QE2 sailing into in New York for the first time.
Here it looks as if there are not only crowds on the Bit Beneath the Bridge, also crew on the fo'c'stle, and possibly, people standing outside, to the fore of the Lookout Bar too.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2012, 12:58 AM »
It would be interesting to know whether it was possible to stand on the deck outside and beneath the Lookout Bar.
On the deck plan above, there is decking shown, on the other hand in some of the old photographs, it looks as if it wouldn't have been possible.
There's a good photograph I saw in a book (Transatlantic Liners at War: Miller and Hutchins) where there's the splendid sight of QE2 sailing into in New York for the first time.
Here it looks as if there are not only crowds on the Bit Beneath the Bridge, also crew on the fo'c'stle, and possibly, people standing outside, to the fore of the Lookout Bar too.

Rosie I am racking my brains...I believe it was possible....but not from the Lookout bar itself. I recall there were ladders from Q deck to get to exhaust vent on that deck...If I am wrong someone will shoot me down in flames...it was 44 years ago!

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:43 AM »
I want to say that I have a photo of a door (one port and one starboard) that led from the LOB to the deck in front.  It was not accessible while at sea (high winds, sea spray, etc) but I think there were two doors there that could be opened.  I'll keep looking and post if I find it. 

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Rod,
    This might help.  At 19 seconds and 7m 58 s into the below linked British Pathe video, you'll see two doors, one port and one stbd, outboard of the Look Out Bar windows leading out from the LOB to the narrow deck.

My father took the below photo of the LOB interior and you'll see a wood paneled door just outboard of the last set of forward windows.  I believe this was access to the port external door.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/selected-originals-launching-of-the-q4/query/qe2

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2012, 07:29 AM »
I stood there last year in Dubai (in the kitchens) and imagined myself back to this photo. It wasn't too hard because there are still places where you can see the angle of the front and the blanked windows. I then stepped out of each of the doors in turn, something I'd always wanted to do, and onto the original deck outside. If I recall correctly it was quite a big step over the window sill.

Rob

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Some updated QM2 images

Started by Chris FrameBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 5
Views: 2282
Last post Apr 07, 2009, 11:22 PM
by Andy F
QE2 & Other Cunarder Images

Started by SolentcruiseshipBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1015
Last post Aug 04, 2011, 04:41 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski