Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth 2 Terminal Building at Port Rashid  (Read 24695 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Queen Elizabeth 2 Terminal Building at Port Rashid
« on: Oct 30, 2017, 08:59 AM »
The Queen Elizabeth 2 Terminal Building at Port Rashid will be used as a lobby before boarding the ship,memorabilia and paintings and Cunard items will be displayed here.

I have a photo but waiting on permission to share it here

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Re: Queen Elizabeth 2 Terminal Building at Port Rashid
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2017, 01:24 PM »
Thanks for the information regarding the terminal, Louis! Looking forward to seeing the photo.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2017, 12:45 PM »
As promised a look inside the Queen Elizabeth 2 terminal building,thanks to Liam Fjellstedt

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Wow! Looking at this photo, I recognize several pieces of artwork from the ship (Lido murals, G Stairway paintings). Thank you so much for sharing, Louis!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:03 PM »
One must marvel at how well hung the various pictures are, their order of hanging and the design of the layout of the display on the walls. If this is anything to go by... the rest of the display should prove equally thought provoking.

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:23 PM »
Does one think that her CUNARD letters will be in there?
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:37 PM »
I'm delighted to see that the memorabilia, which was all so carefully packed up and catalogued in 2010/11, is still intact and together.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:38 PM »
One must marvel at how well hung the various pictures are, their order of hanging and the design of the layout of the display on the walls. If this is anything to go by... the rest of the display should prove equally thought provoking.

Stop moaning and be happy

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Thanks to Louis and Liam.  This is very exciting to see !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:33 PM »
I have Virgin air miles - maybe worth a weekend in Dubai when it’s open!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Stop moaning and be happy   

Who said l wasnt happy...Id be delighted to be happy !  But at best it looks thrown together, no real sense of any theme. The lines dont flow freely on the eye, the jagged edges of the display of items, perhaps jarring on the mind and while lm not a gallerey organiser by any means it looks, well... amarteurish .

We can be thankful for one thing, the visiting masses will not be stopping to stand in awe of the collection, they will be be hot footing onboard the QE2 .

However it does prove that Dubai are better to keep any official renderings under wraps , when you do see unofficial photos, they do lack a certain , perhaps,  Je ne sais quoi... 

We can only hope our ship fares much better .
Time as they say will tell the story.   
Am i the only one out there with such ill harboured views... ???

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2017, 07:43 AM »

They will be as they have been in safe storage until now.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:32 AM »
They will be as they have been in safe storage until now.

I saw them on board when i was there... But I'd guess they'd need Cunard's permission to display them!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2017, 10:31 AM »
I saw them on board when i was there... But I'd guess they'd need Cunard's permission to display them!

Indeed they will, the 10 year clause is still in place so Carnival will have had input into her current role, however I can't think why they'd say no!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:23 PM »

No they are not in that terminal.It will be displayed in future but not sure where.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:24 PM »
One more

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:40 PM »
No permission is required - all the artwork was sold with the ship so every model, painting etc is owned by Dubai so they are free to do whatever they want with them.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:57 PM »
No permission is required - all the artwork was sold with the ship so every model, painting etc is owned by Dubai so they are free to do whatever they want with them.

I was only referring to the  CUNARD lettering ..  previously they were told they couldn't have the Cunard logo anywhere without permission ?

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:02 PM »
I spy what could be the Britannia model that was on Boat Deck at A? Stairwell in the background of the second terminal photo Louis posted.

QE2 Mediterranean cruise, July 2008 (my last trip on QE2) by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

QE2 Mediterranean cruise, July 2008 (my last trip on QE2) by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

My poor photos from July 2008.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Re: Cunard lettering and logos - they are able to use the name and logo wherever it was previously used without permission.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:53 PM »
I'm happy to see that all these pictures and memorabilia are seeing the light of day again, but with so many being on display outside the ship, instead of where they belonged inside the ship, I wonder how the interiors now look like without them.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I'm happy to see that all these pictures and memorabilia are seeing the light of day again, but with so many being on display outside the ship, instead of where they belonged inside the ship, I wonder how the interiors now look like without them.

I can't say how or where I've seen the latest interior photos , as Rob posted earlier today in another topic, but she's looking better than she's done for many years and at least one significant painting is still onboard. I may have said too much  :-X ...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:09 PM »

They were all boxed up when i was there (it had just been done) and she looked very, very bare.  But what better way to choose what to put back where, than to have them all spread out in an air conditioned building, right next to the ship.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I like the idea of having all the items on display for people to view prior to boarding the QE2 and maybe people boarding other ships/boats at Port Rashid, which would encourage them to book to go aboard the ship and see more. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2017, 05:16 PM »

Exactly Marc-Antoine, I couldn't agree with you more :)

The works of art, models, copies of models, heritage collection - as well as furnishings, lights and lighting, muster signs etc etc have all been a part of the Spirit of QE2 - and of Cunard as the company was, when QE2 was alive and kicking.

Currently it feels as if one of my closest relatives has been ambushed, stripped and left undressed.
Keeping fingers crossed that someone has the sense to re-instate as much of the collection as possible and install it as originally it was - on board, and in situ - the new cruise terminal only needs a few pictures, no-one's going to be any the wiser if they are 'divorced, living in the Annexe' - and the models certainly should be kept on the ship along with Britannia, the Falklands wooden plaque etc etc etc....

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Exactly Marc-Antoine, I couldn't agree with you more :)

The works of art, models, copies of models, heritage collection - as well as furnishings, lights and lighting, muster signs etc etc have all been a part of the Spirit of QE2 - and of Cunard as the company was, when QE2 was alive and kicking.

Currently it feels as if one of my closest relatives has been ambushed, stripped and left undressed.
Keeping fingers crossed that someone has the sense to re-instate as much of the collection as possible and install it as originally it was - on board, and in situ - the new cruise terminal only needs a few pictures, no-one's going to be any the wiser if they are 'divorced, living in the Annexe' - and the models certainly should be kept on the ship along with Britannia, the Falklands wooden plaque etc etc etc....

At least her owners (not the previous owners who brought her to Dubai) have the option to put the memorabilia back on board and may yet choose to do so.

Thomas
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2017, 05:59 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2017, 06:10 PM »
One more   
Oh i beg you stop... the photographer must have been reading this and is deciding to add his own creative artistry by taking squint photos,  my mind is now even more jarred , the fine smooth flowing lines away to hell in a hand cart...replaced by MFI shelving units and now even more is a mix mash, my headache at fever pitch, l fear l need to go and lay down in a darkened room with some smellling salts..l may be away some time.

I like the idea of having all the items on display for people to view prior to boarding the QE2 and maybe people boarding other ships/boats at Port Rashid, which would encourage them to book to go aboard the ship and see more. 
it might also have the effect of wanting them to jump overboard...the jarred lines ..oh you get the idea..

Twinkle..are we on the same medication.. ;)

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2017, 10:02 AM »
At least her owners (not the previous owners who brought her to Dubai) have the option to put the memorabilia back on board and may yet choose to do so.

Thomas

This is also my thinking! 

It is likely that not all the areas that had paintings and items on display when QE2 was in service, will be accessed by the hotel guests and members of the public, so they are using the Terminal building to display items.  Once other parts of the ship are opened then items could be moved back onboard. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2017, 04:19 PM »
maybe they are fooling us, all the originals are still on board unpacked & hung where they used to be, the ones in the terminal building are repros  for sale on board , for any discerning guest to buy     situated in the bookshop, (hey you got to hope)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:50 PM »
maybe they are fooling us, all the originals are still on board unpacked & hung where they used to be, the ones in the terminal building are repros  for sale on board , for any discerning guest to buy     situated in the bookshop, (hey you got to hope)

Oh Pete, If only....!
One of the redeeming features of the exercise could also mean that the reference books from the Library might be stowed safely nearby.
I've tried to find similar copies, to find and read them again would be so very good.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2017, 02:53 PM »
A close up of the name,thanks to Janice Jeffrey

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #31 on: Nov 23, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for posting. Looks great! I like the font.

It's interesting to note that they don't use the "QE2" name.

I think this is smart, since the abbreviation is used mostly in the UK, and means nothing to other languages.

Linda Bratcher

« Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2017, 02:43 PM »
We are going to Dubai in April on QM2 so hopefully will be able to visit QE2. Very excited and will take lots of photos.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2017, 03:18 PM »
We are going to Dubai in April on QM2 so hopefully will be able to visit QE2. Very excited and will take lots of photos.

Sounds good and seeing QE2 in Dubai is something to look forward to!
www.qe2event.com

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2017, 12:56 AM »
Checked Expedia for "Hotels in Dubai close to Port Rashid" and nothing (QE2 Hotel) came up... (Yet..)

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #35 on: Nov 25, 2017, 12:56 AM »
$65 is cheap for Dubai..

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #36 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:58 PM »
$65 is cheap for Dubai.   
You can add on an extra $100 and thats only for Afternoon tea at The Burj Al Arab..a noted hotel out there ::)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #37 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Checked Expedia for "Hotels in Dubai close to Port Rashid" and nothing (QE2 Hotel) came up... (Yet..)   
Should we be surprised ? Perhaps they are keeping the fanfare local for the Gala Opening ceremony. 

Offline ship pro

« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:24 AM »
The view from my hotel room, unfortunately the view from the aft deck is at dubai drydocks

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Hi ship pro!

As you are in the vicinity, dare I ask (!!) If you have a hammer and a spanner with you, please might you be able to arrange for the search for, and  re-fixing of her davits (position unknown) and - then the hoisting of each and every tender, lifeboat and the two lovely fast boats?!
Hoping very much that  that you are keeping well - and are enjoying the View.
If it's really quiet - maybe fixing her up with a couple of ocean-going tugs might also be a popular move!
All the best
Rosie

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2017, 01:36 PM »
The view from my hotel room, unfortunately the view from the aft deck is at dubai drydocks

Room with an excellent view!
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #41 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:24 PM »
A terminal building and funnel,thanks to John D. Pomeroy photo taken on the 25th February 2018

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:06 PM »
That would be great for a QE2 Hotel brochure cover.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
The Queen Elizabeth 2 Terminal Building was part of a summit yesterday 27th of February 2018 and will be again on 1st of March 2018

Below is a quote from the website

"Dubai International Superyacht Summit Venue

The venue will be Cruise Terminal 1, facing the iconic Queen Elizabeth 2.

The Queen Elizabeth 2 made her maiden voyage in 1969 and was one of the last great Transatlantic liners. At 70,327 tons and 963 feet in length with a top speed of 32.5 knots she is one of the fastest and grandest passenger vessels ever built. Queen Elizabeth 2 is considered by many to be the most famous liner in the world. Queen Elizabeth 2 is now docked permanently at Cruise Terminal 1, in Mina Rashid Marina in Dubai.

The Queen Elizabeth 2 will be the backdrop to the venue of this Summit creating a unique atmosphere in a region where lifestyle meets marine tradition.

There could not be a more perfect venue."

https://www.fabmar.net/dubai-international-superyacht-summit/

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
Here is a capture from inside the terminal

https://instagram.com/p/BfukaPmBG-7?hl=de&taken-by=marasinews

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
For those with Facebook check this link

https://www.facebook.com/MarasiNews/

Look for post "Officials at Dubai International Superyacht Summit 2018",here is 7 more photos from inside the terminal

Check for those paintings on the walls they are known to us
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018, 08:08 AM by Davina »

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #46 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:33 AM »

Thanks Louis for posting and good to see the marketing people are using the QE2 as a backdrop to promote their event. 

When I read the quote:
......"There could not be a more perfect venue."

My immediate thought was there is one even better venue and that is onboard QE2, but I guess we need to wait just a bit longer before we hear reports about events on QE2, the perfect venue.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #47 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:42 AM »

When I read the quote:
My immediate thought was there is one even better venue and that is onboard QE2, but I guess we need to wait just a bit longer before we hear reports about events on QE2, the perfect venue.

QE2 for sure will host many events in the future

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:23 AM »
QE2 for sure will host many events in the future

Does she have a space that's as large as the terminal itself?

It might be best to continue to hold larger events exactly where this one was held. They can go on board for dinner, or drinks, or accommodating

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #49 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Does she have a space that's as large as the terminal itself?

It might be best to continue to hold larger events exactly where this one was held. They can go on board for dinner, or drinks, or accommodating

I think the Theatre could be used maybe the Queens Room too.For small scale event you have the Boardroom or the Conference Room.

Maybe some crew area could be turned into event rooms.

One thing is for sure QE2 is big enough to find space as big as the terminal

But its all a wait and see what happens.....

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #50 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:39 AM »
This is not the first event in that terminal since QE2 is docked there.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:42 AM »
A short video from inside notice the QE2 artwork on display

https://instagram.com/p/BfxGxmihq9S?hl=de&taken-by=marasinews

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #52 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Have they borrowed the Queens room tables.... ;)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Great photos and video and very encouraging news !   :)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #54 on: Mar 22, 2018, 10:58 AM »
The Union JacK Flag is flying on a mast just outside the terminal,thanks to Andreas Riek

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #55 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Awesome !   :)

Offline Conor

« Reply #56 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:33 PM »
The Union JacK Flag is flying on a mast just outside the terminal,thanks to Andreas Riek

Great to see...though you might want to let Andreas know it's upside down!  ;D

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #57 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Another capture of the terminal building notice on the left the bench that was once on Boat Deck

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #58 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:41 PM »
notice on the left the bench that was once on Boat Deck

Nice touch by Dubai! Could've easily been discarded but thankfully not - again showing how sympathetic they're being within commercial reason.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #59 on: Mar 23, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Another capture of the terminal building notice on the left the bench that was once on Boat Deck

There were Two Benches - one on either side of QE2 :)
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2018, 04:25 PM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #60 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:01 PM »
There were Two Benches - one on either side of QE2 :)

Very happy memories of them!

Betty and my Mother on QE2's Boat Deck by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #61 on: Mar 23, 2018, 09:59 PM »
I remember them also being life jacket storage and being repainted/tended to by the loving and hard working crew, in her latter years.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #62 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:32 AM »
I'm hearing a rather interesting tit-bit that there might be something rather interesting in the terminal building, involving an area that's either a 1969 Queens Room recreation, or elements of it.  Curious to find out more.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #63 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:45 AM »
I'm hearing a rather interesting tit-bit that there might be something rather interesting in the terminal building, involving an area that's either a 1969 Queens Room recreation, or elements of it.  Curious to find out more.

Would be fitting for the museum side of her new static life!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #64 on: Apr 01, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I wonder if it will be a Queen's Room for view only, or if it is being set up to use for tea and other functions.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #65 on: Apr 04, 2018, 07:29 AM »

As mentioned above :

https://instagram.com/p/BhI2R8PlHJh

I very much look forward to seeing this.

I hope they haven't removed anything from the actual bridge, to create the recreation, that would be a mistake.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #66 on: Apr 04, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Likewise, I was under the understanding the bridge had merely been cleaned and cleared of loose items (pens, paper etc) having seen a photo from 2015 where the port side of the bridge was stacked high with folders and the like. We will know either way soon though...

Excellent overhead photo though!
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2018, 07:33 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #67 on: Apr 04, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Exactly! What gives me pause is ... what need would you have to tour a replica of any of these things if the real thing is just a few feet away?!

Offline Conor

« Reply #68 on: Apr 04, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Getting very excited with this now, the area and ship look stunning. Compared to the initial Dubai offering in 2008, and the looming November 2018 deadline, what’s been done to QE2 this and last year appears to be spectacular. Even if we disagree with some design decisions, the ship keeps her heritage intact for future generations. Including someone like me who has never sailed on her, being only 12 when she retired.

Exactly! What gives me pause is ... what need would you have to tour a replica of any of these things if the real thing is just a few feet away?!

May be for multiple reasons, ie the bridge (or the rooms around it) still being an active HQ, the terminal building being open to conference guests/members of the public who might not otherwise experience it, or the replica may be interactive - like at the London Nautical Museum!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #69 on: Apr 04, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Getting very excited with this now, the area and ship look stunning. Compared to the initial Dubai offering in 2008, and the looming November 2018 deadline, what’s been done to QE2 this and last year appears to be spectacular. Even if we disagree with some design decisions, the ship keeps her heritage intact for future generations. Including someone like me who has never sailed on her, being only 12 when she retired.

May be for multiple reasons, ie the bridge (or the rooms around it) still being an active HQ, the terminal building being open to conference guests/members of the public who might not otherwise experience it, or the replica may be interactive - like at the London Nautical Museum!

One could also add the protection of the original space onboard (particularly if there are large numbers of visitors like with Queen Mary in Long Beach) - the bridge is not likely to be used in any official capacity these days though as the security of the ship can be handled elsewhere much like a part of the security was when in service (safety control room for example) among other reasons it's no longer needed in a static operation. Also the bridge and other similar areas changed significantly over the 39 years with Cunard whilst still remaining recognisable - whereas Dubai seem to be going for original appearances for these areas for as little extra work for them (and expense) and maybe through being sympathetic to the ship as they have been otherwise (as much as possible). Building the replicas being the easiest option here and also preserving the ship for the hotel guests, in a way that's also commercially viable and contemporary in terms of style particularly with the cabins/staterooms, in the process. The shore side replicas give Dubai more flexibility overall.

On a side note, I was also 12 when she retired to Dubai in November 2008 - just very grateful to my parents who worked very hard over the years.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2018, 04:30 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline andyh

« Reply #70 on: Apr 04, 2018, 08:15 PM »
It’s good to see things moving forward at last, and it looks to be being done with her heritage displayed and preserved

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #71 on: Apr 17, 2018, 06:23 PM »

Having now seen photos, I can confirm there is a rather wonderful partial recreation of the original Queens Room.  Also a mock-up of an original cabin, and a virtual bridge - which fortunately doesn't look like they've used any of the actual bridge to create!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #72 on: Apr 17, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Having now seen photos, .... a virtual bridge - which fortunately doesn't look like they've used any of the actual bridge to create!

That is such a relief!
Maybe the bust of The Queen and the Royal Standard can join up with their old Room-Mates!

About the Captain's Quarters - keeping fingers well crossed here, that they are like The Bridge and actual  Chartroom, still in place and untouched.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #73 on: Apr 17, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Having now seen photos, I can confirm there is a rather wonderful partial recreation of the original Queens Room.  Also a mock-up of an original cabin, and a virtual bridge - which fortunately doesn't look like they've used any of the actual bridge to create!

Excellent overall!!! Wonder if one will be able to sail her in virtual form using the replica/virtual bridge? Dubai have been very sympathetic considering the commercial side of things and her previous Dubai owners awful hotel plans in 2009! Also matches with what Louis has said in the recent past regarding the bridge and nearby "crew country" areas, being retained but given a good clean (as needed I suspect).
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 06:49 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #74 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:02 PM »

I'm now allowed to attach these images.  Of everything I've seen, I think this is my favourite thing they've done.  I'd have done exactly that.  I love her original design, I love the way these planters under-lit the chair/table to make them look like they hover - and they've captured that.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #75 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:32 PM »
That Queens Room recreation looks really nice. I'm glad that they didn't use one of the actual mushroom columns from on board.

I like how they have one of the original chairs on display from 1969.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #76 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Looks really good and glad that they are remembering the ship's heritage. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #77 on: Apr 18, 2018, 10:01 PM »
The Heritage Collection - QE2's  Plaques.

According to this video, these are now hung immediately below the ceiling all along th (lengthened) Golden Lion.
There appears to be no protection, do you think they will be safe?

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/tourism/queen-elizabeth-2-opens-to-public-1.2207302?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #78 on: Apr 18, 2018, 10:10 PM »
The Heritage Collection - QE2's  Plaques.

According to this video, these are now hung immediately below the ceiling all along th (lengthened) Golden Lion.
There appears to be no protection, do you think they will be safe?

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/tourism/queen-elizabeth-2-opens-to-public-1.2207302?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post

I think they'll be fine as they are out of reach of a lot of potential damage. They used to line the vestibule type staircase that led up to the bridge, where the rabbit warren of rooms branched off (such as the old radio room etc). Good to see them more visible now. At least some of the plaques that used to reside in public areas onboard are now located in the old cruise terminal building. Her Falklands battle honour plaque is also now in the old cruise terminal building having resided on Two Deck (if my memory is correct?) before.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2018, 10:20 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #79 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:59 AM »
more from the lobby

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #80 on: Aug 06, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Looking very nice and as I am hoping to visit next year, it is good to see what to expect.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #81 on: Aug 06, 2018, 02:37 PM »
That all should be back onboard :'( :'(

QE2 Launch - Celebration on Queen Mary

Started by CAPBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 1
Views: 2109
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Mary 2 - Twenty Years

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 3
Views: 523
Last post Mar 27, 2023, 03:39 PM
by Lynda Bradford
3D Queen Mary "model" on Google Earth / Google Maps

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 3070
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 08:25 PM
by cunardqueen
TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 3470
Last post Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
by 3QueensGirl
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions