Do you thing it should be removed?

Yes, remove it but keep the kitchens
0 (0%)
Yes, remove it, and bring back the lounge
1 (11.1%)
No, keep it this way
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: The kitchen box  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

The kitchen box
« on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I was just wondering - with the discussion currently ongoing about the lifeboats being removed, in one of the first refits they removed the forward observation lounge to make way for a kitchen, and added the box forward of the superstructure.

The main point for the life boats to be there for most of us is because they have been there for the ships career and are part of the look. Does everybody feel the same way about the kitchen box? It has been there for most of her service life, but wasn't original there, and the observation lounge made room for it.

If anybody wants a option added, please let me know :)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: The kitchen box
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Leave it as it is

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I’d like it gone and have the original lounge but I thought about the galley and yeah...
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2017, 10:37 PM »
I'd want it left as it is otherwise she'd become a Frankenstein of her original form and her last form. Which is not right and wouldn't look right to those who travelled on her in the last years. However, I realise that her appearance has been changed a lot over the years, and some people equally wouldn't have like the changes to her.

Thomas

PS. I remember the lovely cooking smells that rose up from the kitchen box (often fish being cooked) on departure from Southampton, as well as from the signal mast and vents on the starboard side. If the forward galley in the kitchen box is kept and used it would be lovely to smell cooking there again!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:26 AM »
I say leave it. It's been there for most of QE2's life and she wouldn't look the same without it.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:40 AM »
In fact parts of this excellent video (apart from the wind noise - why people don't use the fluffy microphone covers more - called dead cats in the industry!) show the vents and fans on the starboard side, under the signal mast and near the observation bit under the bridge. The video as a whole brought back many happy memories.

And in one of my Dad's video's here you can hear the fans and vents too!

Thomas

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Twynkle

Re: The kitchen / galley / Mystery Box
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Definitely, Bob - the extension to the Queen's Grill Galley is essential for safe-keeping!

There is an advanced Search window that is easily accessible on the Forum!

You'll find much about the kitchen mystery 'box' -
Here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,450.0.html
and
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,95.msg25410.html#msg25410

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2017, 12:45 PM by Twynkle »