Author Topic: Discussions on Chief Engineers of QE2  (Read 31728 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Discussions on Chief Engineers of QE2
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I have set up individual profiles for the Chief Engineers and pleased with the initial results. 

Thanks to the contribution made in this topic, there was a good starting point with the list of Chief Engineers. 

I found some CE information in Cunard Souvenir books and brochures, I even found a picture of Don Wilson the first CE.  I have also written to Chief Engineers where I found contact details and was pleased with the response.

I have set up the board the same as for the Captains with the list of Chief Engineers, at the top and the chief engineers topics listed in chronological order.

Have a look:
The QE2 Chief Engineers board with the list of QE2 Chief Engineers at the top and each individual profile

List of QE2 Chief Engineers where you can select a Chief Engineer's name and go straight to the profile

Because the topics are in chronological order, I have locked them to keep them in this order. I am asking for any discussions/comments to be made on this topic.  I have added a link back to here so that we can make comments and perhaps find some more information.   

This is a work in progress and for some of the Chief Engineers, we may not get the profile information.  I have added a Profile for Stan Childs, as it will be easier to remove it is we subsequently find he was not a Chief Engineer. 

Lynda
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2018, 11:31 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rod

« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Great job!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:00 AM »
Very nice job, Lynda!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:57 AM »
Excellent, thank you Lynda!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Jimbilton

« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:28 PM »
In the Colin Walker book, Memory of a Queen: RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH, there is a good photo of Chief Engineer Farmer. 

There is also a photograph of Engineer Officer Tomlins - could he be the same Tomlins mentioned in the list of QE2 chief engineers?

For anybody who loves the RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH, if you don't have it already, I can heartily recommend the above mentioned book. There are many superb photographs, not to be found in any other publication. Commodore Marr wrote a nice foreword for the book too.

Thank you for starting the Chief Engineers  section.  I wish I had a time machine, I would love to be an engineer on one of the great transatlantic liners!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:16 PM »
In the Colin Walker book, Memory of a Queen: RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH, there is a good photo of Chief Engineer Farmer. 

There is also a photograph of Engineer Officer Tomlins - could he be the same Tomlins mentioned in the list of QE2 chief engineers?

For anybody who loves the RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH, if you don't have it already, I can heartily recommend the above mentioned book. There are many superb photographs, not to be found in any other publication. Commodore Marr wrote a nice foreword for the book too.

Thank you for starting the Chief Engineers  section.  I wish I had a time machine, I would love to be an engineer on one of the great transatlantic liners!

Thank-you so much for this information and glad to hear that you appreciate the Chief Engineers section.  I must try to find  the book, it sounds interesting. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Jimbilton

« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Oh yes, Lynda, do please buy the book I mentioned. There are several for sale on the internet at the moment, and at reasonable prices.  The book has many large photographs of the beautiful Elizabeth, mostly taken in the last few months of her active service.

Speaking of engineers,  there was a R.E Philip, who, according to Commodore Marr's book, was chief engineer on the QUEEN ELIZABETH 1966 - 1968, and was aboard for the long voyage to Hong Kong.  I wonder if he ever served on the QE2, or if he retired before she entered service.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I was very pleased to hear from Jane Crosthwaite, Ron Bateson's daughter who has provided additional information for her father's profile. 

I had updated the profile, which you can view here:

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=8089.msg91604#msg91604
www.qe2event.com

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #38 on: Jul 29, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Robin Rodger with his wife Myra in the red dress and my mother hanging round his neck. Sorry, don't know the name of the other lady.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2018, 03:54 PM by riskygizmo »
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Jim Bennett

« Reply #39 on: Apr 05, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Hi Neil - Just seen this. The "Other Lady" is my wife Debra. I think this was the first time she travelled with me on the ship, just after we were married. Happy Days!

Jim

Online Rod

« Reply #40 on: Aug 11, 2021, 01:00 AM »
As you get older, you will find that random thoughts pop into your head every now and then.
Here is a trivia question:

Which Chief Engineer had a sister working on board QE2?