Author Topic: October 2017 : Midnight buffet and other photos of food  (Read 3209 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

This month's theme is "Midnight buffet and other photos of food", chosen by Rob Lightbody, the joint winner of the July competition.

Looking forward to many delicious memories!

The prize this month is the set of QM2 stamps from the Isle of Man, donated by Lynda Bradford.

https://www.iompost.com/uploads/2008_mc67_qm-2-cunard-ocean-liners-special-smiler-sheet_800x600.jpg

Alternatively, June Ingram is offering a jigsaw of the prizewinning picture. The choice is yours -- which will it be?

The album is open -  so now is the time to look for your most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : Midnight buffet and other photos of food.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com. You could even email the photos to this address, and we can upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 31 October 2017. Voting will run from 1 November 2017 until 30 November 2017.

We look forward to seeing your photos in this month's competition. 

This is the second month of photos for the 2019 calendar. Maybe your photo will figure there!

Enjoy yourselves!  :)

Offline Twynkle

Re: October 2017 : Midnight buffet and other photos of food
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Great Choice, Rob - Thank You!
Heading off to the Lido to find Dinner Jackets, Waiters, Chefs, a chocolate castle and a 'carved melon!

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2017, 01:09 AM »
Classic question actually heard several times...."What time is the Midnight buffet????"

Along with..."Do the crew live on the ship?"  etc

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Classic question actually heard several times...."What time is the Midnight buffet????"

Along with..."Do the crew live on the ship?"  etc

On a lot of ships it's actually at 2330!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2017, 02:13 PM »
On a lot of ships it's actually at 2330!

Same holds true for some American resorts that hold special event weekends and have a "Midnight Buffet" on Saturday night.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the photos for the "Midnight buffet and there photos of food" theme. 

Cakes, sculptures in the buffet displays, food glorious food! Should be an interesting photo competition!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:52 PM »
The theme for the October Photo Competition has to do with food, and food on QE2 !  There must be many wonderful photos of the gastronomic delights on QE2 !  Please look through your photos and upload your three favorites for entry in the competition.   :)

If you are having any problems uploading your photos, please contact us at admin@theqe2story.com and we will be more than glad to help out.   :)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 03:25 PM »
We are more than half way through the month, and we only have a few photographs for this month's photo competition.  Coming off of the conference, it must be a bit difficult to focus on anything else.  But there was so much awesome food and spectacular displays on QE2, please take a moment and look through your photos and post three of your favorites in the gallery for the October photo competition.  :)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Thanks for the reminder June.  I have added two photo and will see if I can find a third. 

I know there must be lots more photos of the delicious QE2 food and looking forward to seeing lots of pictures uploaded. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Just uploaded mine. Memories... it was hard to choose... and so tempting, all those pictures of food!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Photos Entered!

And if I could go back in time, give myself a slap, and tell me to get a proper camera, I would!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:20 PM »
I think I'm going to struggle with this months theme - I tended to spend my time eating the food rather than photographing it!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2017, 02:40 AM »
I think I'm going to struggle with this months theme - I tended to spend my time eating the food rather than photographing it!
If she was still in service we would have more pictures of food! #GottaShowWhatImEating
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2017, 03:20 AM »
My parents took photos of the midnight buffets (I was usually in bed at the time, although I did attend a couple!) but I'll need to sort though them before entering them.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Rod

« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:22 PM »
When I look at all the great pics of the food on QE2, it makes me think of the COMPLETE turnaround that occurred in the catering dept. ALL 4 meals!
Most of this was started under Karl Winkler, with a good bit of opposition, I might add. Midnight buffets used to have less on them than the average Chinese buffet restaurant here in the  U.S.
They had the same old alligator, made of bread, that had that had been repaired many times, and a cornucopia that might have come from the "Old Queens"! On transatlantic voyages there was a 5 day rotation of menu and 7 day rotation on cruises. midnight buffet also had a trays of sandwiches!
Rudi Sodamin was hired as well and the restaurants took off!
When I visited QE2 in Port Everglades, in '92, I think, I was amazed when we went to the deck buffet to eat. Beautiful buffet, well laid out and presentation to die for.
You can call it coq au vin....but when all is said and done it is still chicken cooked in wine!