Author Topic: Special Video of QE2 arriving in Dubai  (Read 1785 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Special Video of QE2 arriving in Dubai
« on: Oct 02, 2017, 03:30 PM »
As part of the final presentation at the conference, Scott Clegg detailed how they planned in detail QE2's arrival into Dubai, and how it was co-ordinated with the number 2 of the production line A380 super jumbo.  This dovetailed neatly with earlier speakers who had shown QE2 and Concorde together earlier in her career.

This video was played in full to a silent tear-filled town hall and was one of the most memorable moments of the day for me.

Following a number of requests, the video has been uploaded to our website here :- https://www.theqe2story.com/QE2-50/dubai-arrival.html

Enjoy.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

Re: Special Video of QE2 arriving in Dubai
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Really enjoyed that video, must say that I actually liked what they made. It showed the planning that went into it.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2017, 05:28 PM »
I must say I can't bear "Time to Say Good-Bye", although it is actually a rather lovely song. I did not think it was time to say good-bye to QE2, and I resented Cunard for rubbing it in in this way.

Also... the song lingers in my mind for days after hearing it, and I just cannot get it to stop...

But without the sound, the video is well made and the planning for QE2's arrival was good, though finally in vain. Personally, if I may say so at this time, I do not like the video, and it makes me angry rather than sad. But of course it is all very much part of the QE2 Story and must be included and not forgotten. It was entirely right that it was played at the Conference and if it lifted most people's feelings, that is a good thing and well done for having thought of having it there... and very many thanks to Scott, who with his team gave QE2 such a brilliant reception and made sure she was well looked after for four years after her arrival. We have much to be grateful for.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2017, 07:02 PM »
What a wonderful, but emotional video. This is probably better than the official Nakheel arrival video from 2009.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2017, 07:05 PM by Brandon Sterkel »
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Ohhhhh  Rob, what are you doing to us, I'd just got over it, &  here we go again( cannot help myself)    watching her sail into that Limbo, that hell she endures, what did they do to her, why didn't McNaught turn her around & say ,'you know what..............................................'
 O K so it is part of her story & I'm sort of glad it's now on here, & have to agree with Isabelle, I get angry, with the manipulation surrounding what was a sell out,(my take on things)
  into some sort of victory parade for the millionaires who just didn't get it  & still don't. 
  Been a while since I spit the dummy out, but that was the last time she was alive , still hurts

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:37 PM »
have to agree with Isabelle, I get angry, with the manipulation surrounding what was a sell out

Of course, we can say a lot of this from the present standpoint, with hindsight and knowing that the grand schemes planned for her never worked out... but even then, I just selfishly wanted her to continue doing what she was best at, i.e. rushing across the Atlantic waves, and as often as possible with me on board!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Wow....Thats some video
Those of us who did the farewell trips ie the Uk and both crossings, were quite frankly fed up of Time to say Goodbye, it had been played to death, Granted there were people who were hearing for only a few times, some of us could probably recite it word for word.. ::) 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2017, 09:45 PM »
If the video was produced by Dubai to celebrate the arrival of QE2 why are they singing goodbye.... how about "Hello"????

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2017, 01:14 PM »
As part of the final presentation at the conference, Scott Clegg detailed how they planned in detail QE2's arrival into Dubai, and how it was co-ordinated with the number 2 of the production line A380 super jumbo.  This dovetailed neatly with earlier speakers who had shown QE2 and Concorde together earlier in her career.

This video was played in full to a silent tear-filled town hall and was one of the most memorable moments of the day for me.

Following a number of requests, the video has been uploaded to our website here :- https://www.theqe2story.com/QE2-50/dubai-arrival.html

Enjoy.

Thanks for putting this up Rob - my favourite parts are the helicopter views of her and the salute from the type 42. I don't go for the glitz and glamour approach that is the way in the UAE but nevertheless the video is well made.

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Thanks, Rob, for posting this video.  It is very, very moving.  At the time, it did not seem right that our QE2 was heading off to Dubai.  In hindsight, it seems almost impossible to think of her in Dubai with a dry eye. 

But I do hope that this 50th Anniversary Year for our QE2 may be the beginning of a new life for her, not the life she did so well travelling the oceans and seas of the world, but a life that will allow others to at least get a little taste of QE2, even if she has been changed.

:'(
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !