Author Topic: Peter Suttons: midships lobby murals (Heritage Trail)  (Read 7632 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Peter Suttons: midships lobby murals (Heritage Trail)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2021, 11:27 PM »
I believe this same portion of the mural was also in the Pursers Office, across from the main desk.

Indeed, visible in the background in one of Rob's videos from 2011 (at 2 minutes 6 seconds).

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2021, 05:47 PM »
What an amazing story.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Robert Cove

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Hi everybody,

This is indeed my first post to the forum and I just wanted to say many thanks for the brilliant comments about my photograph and to see how you have responded to it. Although it took me 14 years to find out about it purely by accident, I was amazed by what had happened but as I say a little let down in some respects maybe? But I would just like to say I hope that it continues being a part of the Mural because it certainly belongs there.   

So long may that continue!

But from a personal point of view wouldn't it be good for me if someone could tell me before its too late of how it all came about and fill in the gaps for me? and I would just like to thank Lynda for giving me the opportunity to share my story with you all.     Thank you Lynda.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2021, 05:52 PM by Robert Cove »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Robert! What an extraordinary tale you tell, and how are amazing that it took so long for you even to know that your photo had been used in the Midships Lobby. There must be another tale there, waiting to be told, about how your picture came to be chosen as the model.

You said that you took it in Southampton at 3 am one morning. I would love to know what made you be there at that very time, ready to take a photograph. Were are you watching out for QE2, and had you gone specially to watch her departure?

Offline Robert Cove

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2021, 11:20 PM »
Hi there Isabelle,

I am a born and bred Sotonian who has followed this ship from day one in 1982 after the Falklands War I climbed the crane whilst she was in dry dock to Photograph the removal of the  Forward Helicopter deck. in 1987 I was working right alongside KG 5 Dry dock on a Thursday evening  and took photos as she arrived, I was there all day Friday watching the repairs to her Vane wheels and I stayed alongside in my car until 3  on the Saturday because I knew it would be a really good opportunity for a night shot and indeed it was and when it appeared in the book Qe2 a ship for all seasons a caption was added Moonlight and Majesty by Robert Cove and yes there is another story one that I have been trying to find out for years and the reason I knew nothing about it was because no one consulted me over it at the time so you would have to ask the people concerned at the time why this didn't happen I guess? I have certainly tried.
And I just wanted to add something to this post up until the 17th of July 2008 I had no idea of the existence of Peter Sutton's Mural It wasn't until then when I boarded the ship to sail to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge  did I even see it for the first time My text books about the ship only showed the earlier interiors and I had always said I would sail on her one day as a child but made this a vow that night in 1987 when they said she was being sold in 2007 I said right that,s it's now or never and booked immediately and achieved my dream 1 year later. 
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2021, 10:34 AM by Robert Cove »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Robert, welcome to the forum and thanks for giving this incredible piece of information that links to the Mid-ship lobby murals.  Thanks also for sharing this story about how you managed to be in the right place at the right time to take the photo, which is an incredible image of QE2.  As Isabelle has said "there is another tale waiting to be told about how the images for the mural were chosen"

You mentioned that you had you had taken photos of QE2 in Dry Dock on the day after her return Fromm the Falklands.  We have a topic 1982 Post Falklands refit.  Perhaps you could post your photos on that topic for members to see. 

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=8568.msg98357#msg98357
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2021, 12:43 AM »
Welcome, Robert, to The Forum ! Your photo is just beautiful and what an amazing story behind its use !

Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more photos !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Peter Shanks, Cunard's new boss, talks past and future

Started by ChrisBoard Cunard

Replies: 0
Views: 2396
Last post Sep 03, 2009, 03:16 PM
by Chris
QE2: The Last Great Liner, BBC, 23-Sep-2007, Bruce Peter & Ian Johnston

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 2381
Last post Jan 03, 2013, 08:14 PM
by Jeff Taylor
A new role for Peter Shanks

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 1376
Last post Dec 09, 2014, 03:59 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 talk by Bruce Peter in Southampton Sat 16th Nov

Started by BarumfoxBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 954
Last post Nov 18, 2019, 11:39 PM
by Barumfox
Peter Knego videos

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 473
Last post Dec 10, 2023, 01:46 PM
by Chris Thompson