Author Topic: Press Coverage of the QE2 50th anniversary Conference  (Read 577 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Great article by the Clydebank Post

Ex QE2 commander at helm of podium for 50th anniversary conference in Clydebank

A CUNARD captain who was master of the famous QE2 will be one of the guest speakers at a major conference in Clydebank next month which will celebrate the liner’s 50th anniversary.

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15510430.Ex_QE2_commander_at_helm_of_podium_for_50th_anniversary_conference_in_Clydebank/

It is important to recognise that this is a MAJOR event in Clydebank, we've made sure that everyone remembers what happened here, all those years ago.  Attached is a screen-shot of their website just now.  The conference is their top story, and the 2nd top most popular story.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017, 02:03 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Twynkle

Re: Press Coverage of the QE2 50th anniversary Conference
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Great article by the Clydebank Post
......It is important to recognise that this is a MAJOR event in Clydebank, we've made sure that everyone remembers what happened here, all those years ago.  Attached is a screen-shot of their website just now.  The conference is their top story, and the 2nd top most popular story.

Great Stuff - and very many Congratulations to the Team Event at The QE2 Story Forum!
There'll be smiles all round the tables at Tea-Time on Clydebank as well as Singing in the Bars!

QE2 has Friends coming specially from All round the World
btw - Are we going to have a Party, or Ceilidh even, on the Friday evening too?
Rob, John, Gav and Lynda?

More btw - for Friends of QE2 who might just be wondering... a Ceilidh is: "a social event with Scottish or Irish folk music and singing, traditional dancing, and storytelling". Google knows!

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017, 06:59 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2017, 05:04 PM »
QE2 has Friends coming specially from All round the World

Actually, for the record, when we are all assembled, it would be worth listing all the countries we have come from for the event... :) .

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2017, 05:09 PM »
Actually, for the record, when we are all assembled, it would be worth listing all the countries we have come from for the event... :) .

Isabelle - The Cunard Captains always do this at the Cocktail Parties - They Welcome people and List the Numbers from each of the different countries, for Crew as well as Passengers :)

QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2017, 06:45 PM »

We have the delegate list but will look at how we can capture where people are from.  We could do this at registration.  Will definitely give this some thought.   
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2017, 07:05 PM »
We have the delegate list but will look at how we can capture where people are from.  We could do this at registration.  Will definitely give this some thought.

I know there's going to be a huge amount going on on the day, but maybe we could have a kind of visitors book and get everyone to sign it?    Name - Where From - Connection to QE2 - "Thought for the day"

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I know there's going to be a huge amount going on on the day, but maybe we could have a kind of visitors book and get everyone to sign it?    Name - Where From - Connection to QE2 - "Thought for the day"

Pete Cain has organised a book for delegates to sign.  Pete may want to post a picture of the lovely, inscribed book that he and his wife have donated. 

There is lots planned for the conference, some of which we hoped will have an element of surprise. 

I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2017, 07:43 PM »
It was always a thing that l had wished we had on the farewell trips was a souvenir passenger list, its always been annoying to later find out there were people from previous years memories on the farewell trips. l remember seeing a passenger at a fleeting glance and thought it looks like so and so from a trip in 1991, as it happens it was and we realised that in the exchange of Christmas cards. or laterly they became facebook friends.
On a crosing in 1991 the World Club put out a mini passenger list of cub members sailing

In San Francisco away back in Janauary l was at Fishermans Wharf wondering aimlessly around and spied a ginger head in the distance and said to myself, if l didnt know better l would say that was Kenny Yorkson, again l dismissed it as how could we both be in the same part of the world, as it happens back at the hotel later l get a message was i at Fishermans Wharf earlier today...  it turns it we both thought we knew it was each other but dismissed it... 

With QE2 its a very small world out there
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Pete Cain has organised a book for delegates to sign.  Pete may want to post a picture of the lovely, inscribed book that he and his wife have donated. 

There is lots planned for the conference, some of which we hoped will have an element of surprise.

Oops!  We'll stop trying to guess!

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Oops!  We'll stop trying to guess!

No harm in guessing!  At this stage in the planning, we hope that the surprises are all good surprises  ;)
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2017, 08:49 PM »

Yes! Good Thinking - it's a lovely idea!
Maybe add an email address too - or is that already going on the List with Names on the Register?
And maybe without wanting to go even further OT, might it be worth adding just the month (s) or date(s), and year we were on board...and possibly, the country countries that QE2 Took us to?
(Best not to mention /ask, 'Which restaurant are you in?", though!)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Yes! Good Thinking - it's a lovely idea!
Maybe add an email address too - or is that already going on the List with Names on the Register?
And maybe without wanting to go even further OT, might it be worth adding just the month (s) or date(s), and year we were on board...and possibly, the country countries that QE2 Took us to?
(Best not to mention /ask, 'Which restaurant are you in?", though!)

Do bear in mind, however, there will be attendees who worked to create the ship, who never got to sail on her...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2017, 11:25 PM »
Do bear in mind, however, there will be attendees who worked to create the ship, who never got to sail on her...

Yes - hence your Connection with QE2 and  Thought for The Day is more appropriate...
I remember in the early days on here when we were chatting,
several others had interesting, and fun conversations relating to "where you there when...?"
That's all!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2017, 01:39 PM »
possibly, the country countries that QE2 Took us to?

A few years after We'd been on the World Cruise we went for a visit to Moscow. That meant that we had to apply for a Russian visa. On the application form you have to list every country you've visited in the last ten years. They provide a box about 2 cm by 6 cm to do this. The advice from the Visa Service was not to bother about where we'd actually been but only to list those places where there was a visa in our current passport. We were very lucky that our passports had just been renewed and there were no visa stamps  ::)

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Michael Gallagher has informed the committee that Seatrade Insider have an article on the conference:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/event-marking-qe2-s-50th-anniversary-is-a-sell-out.html
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2017, 04:26 PM »
If I look on Google news just now for, simply, QE2, 3 of the 4 top stories are "ours".

See attached screenshot.

Still Keeping the Legend Alive, nearly 9 years on.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Great news, Rob! Hopefully, there will be more QE2 news stories by her launch anniversary.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2017, 11:30 PM »
On the other hand, I feel sorry for that pedestrian who got killed.  :'(
Forum Member since March 3rd, 2017

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Just to let all our forum members know, the events committee plus those helping them, are fielding quite a large number of press and media enquiries around both the conference and the anniversary.  Much is being done to help them.

Never before in the history of the forum I don't think, has so much been being done simultaneously by so many to keep the legend alive.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Just to let all our forum members know, the events committee plus those helping them, are fielding quite a large number of press and media enquiries around both the conference and the anniversary.  Much is being done to help them.

Never before in the history of the forum I don't think, has so much been being done simultaneously by so many to keep the legend alive.

This is a wonderful tribute to our beloved QE2 and many thanks over and over to all those who have seen this marvelous conference to fruition !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:38 AM »
The Glasgow Evening Times has run a nice piece about the conference and anniversary.

Do you remember QE2's Clyde launch? Celebrations 50 years on

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15542307.Do_you_remember_QE2__39_s_Clyde_launch__Celebrations_50_years_on/

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:43 AM »
The Glasgow Evening Times has run a nice piece about the conference and anniversary.

Do you remember QE2's Clyde launch? Celebrations 50 years on

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15542307.Do_you_remember_QE2__39_s_Clyde_launch__Celebrations_50_years_on/

Excellent article and good that the conference and the forum got a mention
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Radio Clyde interviewed me today, for broadcast on Friday morning, John's being interviewed twice for BBC, and i believe we have another suprise appearance tomorrow morning on good morning Scotland (the flagship radio programme for Scotland).  That's on top of my previous interview with STV to go out tomorrow, i think.

I've also been speaking to The National (UAE) who are running a proper article.

Our social media channels are in full swing, we've even created a Twitter 'moment'.

Keeping the legend alive?  Oh yes.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if someone from the owners in Dubai were able to recognise this very special occasion.

Sadly we have come to learn and realise we can expect absolutely nothing from them.
Mind you the good thing with that is, whatever they said we couldnt believe anyway, But if wouldn't  be nice if some how, something was filtered back ?. 

However full credit to Rob and the official QE2 Story team for Celebrating The Legend .
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 10:00 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Radio Scotland are interviewing me at 7.20 am tomorrow morning. 

Exciting for the conference and QE2
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if someone from the owners in Dubai were able to recognise this very special ocassion.

Sadly we have come to learn and realise we can expect absolutely nothing from them.
Mind you the good thing with that is, whatever they said we couldnt believe anyway, But if wouldn't  be nice if some how, something was filtered back ?. 

However full credit to Rob and the official QE2 Story team for Celebrating The Legend .

Its not really been me stirring things up this time, June and Michael have been sending out press releases and publicity items for weeks to promote both the conference, and the anniversary.  Although it has been interesting to find contacts I made in 2011 (Radio Clyde for example) getting back in touch when there's something happening.  i.e. QE2 is only out of the news, because there's no news.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #26 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Many, many thanks to Michael for his expertise and for writing up the majority of the material we have been using to contact the press/media.  Much appreciated ! and many thanks to Rob and the committee for all of their help in this area too !   :)

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Big thanks to Michael and June for the work they have put into the Press Releases  :)
www.qe2event.com

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:38 AM »
BBC Scotland online news article on QE2 50 years
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41282633

www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #30 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:57 AM »
And a new Clydebank post article

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15545367.The_QE2_at_50__Clydebank_marks_anniversary_of_proud_launch_of_famous_liner/

I very much like the approach of this article. Maybe we don't think often enough of the way that working on and in QE2 helped people to acquire numerous skills and build up careers. The legacy of QE2 must now be at work in so many places and I doubt we could count all the diverse skills she encouraged and provided!

Even Michael yourself -- now using your QE2-related skills to be a Conference organiser for a voluntary group, and to write books from the knowledge built up during your QE2 years... thank you so much!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Sep 20, 2017, 10:33 AM »
BBC Radio Solent piece featuring our own John Little :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05f34kb#play

(fast forward to 01:13:34 to listen)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Sep 20, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Radio Clyde piece i contributed to.  Makes it sound like I've organised the conference, even though i never said that. Sigh.  which has now been modified by them to reflet that I haven't organised the conference!

50 years on from the launch of the Clyde's most famous liner

Thousands lined the banks of the river to see the QE2 descend into the water for the first time

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/local/news/50-years-clydebank-qe2-anniversary/
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2017, 12:06 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #34 on: Sep 20, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Wonderful coverage !!  Many thanks to all !!   :) :)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Sep 20, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Not sure who Martyn McLaughlin spoke to, if anyone....

Dubai yet to make good on promises for a queen now in exile

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/martyn-mclaughlin-dubai-yet-to-make-good-on-promises-for-a-queen-now-in-exile-1-4564620

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #36 on: Sep 20, 2017, 04:26 PM »
BBC Radio Scotland phone me this afternoon and recorded a piece for 6.00pm

I mentioned the forum and the conference so hope this is included. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:21 PM »

I just listened with pride to you Lynda, because i know you through this forum.   You did yourself, QE2 and this site proud.
Hundreds of thousands of people will have heard you.

Offline Robbo

« Reply #38 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:12 PM »

Sorry I missed it ....is it possible to put the interview on the forum

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #39 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Sorry I missed it ....is it possible to put the interview on the forum

Its here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094d5l7 - at 2:14:40

Queen Mary 2 17th-27th May 2015 British Isles 175YR Anniversary

Started by tdicksonBoard Past Events

Replies: 2
Views: 469
Last post Apr 26, 2015, 07:52 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Cunard 3 Queens, May 3rd, Southampton : Cunard Press release with details.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Cunard

Replies: 33
Views: 9153
Last post May 06, 2015, 02:03 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
Air Pump Issues Stifle Waverley's 70th Anniversary Season

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley

Replies: 13
Views: 268
Last post Aug 14, 2017, 01:10 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
Live from RMS Queen Mary 2 for the 175th anniversary voyage to Halifax