Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Celebrations and parties aboard  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Twynkle

Celebrations and parties aboard
« on: Aug 02, 2009, 02:17 PM »

It was Myles' post - that bought it all back :)
 "I was actually onboard the round trip crossing from the 17th - 27th August and celebrated my birthday onboard with the "singing waiters" on the Hotel Managers Table."

When did it all begin?
Did the waiters sing in all the Dining Rooms?

Being curious here - did you have a similar experience?

We were well surprised by about 12 waiters;
it was our first evening aboard QE2!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Celebrations aboard - and the 'Singing Waiters'!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2009, 02:59 PM »
Did the waiters sing in all the Dining Rooms?

Yes, and not all were very good singers :)

Sometimes in bars it happened that we had to sing too ;D
And i am bad in singing :o

Louis

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Singing waiters from 1974 in the Britannia Restaurant.  It was my sister's 8th birthday.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:17 PM »

^ for my 21st birthday.

I knew about the singing and all that, but it was still a surprise when it came. And it wasn't even on my actual birthday, my real birthday was about 2 weeks later.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2009, 03:39 PM by Avariel »

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Yes, and not all were very good singers :)

Curious. I celebrated my 2? birthday in the Mauretania restaurant and got the cake and singing waiters however in both the Britannia Grill and the Queens Grill Paul and I celebrated our anniversary - we got a cake but no singing :)

(I totally agree about the quality of the singing :D)

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2009, 06:39 PM »
I don't think singing waiters were encourage in the grills.  ... but I do remember my table-mates singing a rousing chorus of "Happy Birthday" much to the chagrin of some very proper and pursed-lipped ladies at the next table!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I loved the singing waiters in the Mauretania Restaurant. They had composed and written their own Happy Birthday song, and by the end of a very brief cruise, I had memorised it sufficiently to be able to adapt it to a big birthday at home a few weeks later.

Forgotten what the waiters in the Caronia Restaurant sang -- but whatever it was, there and in Mauretania, I loved the way they gathered round and joined in together. Whether or not they sang well, they gave every impression of enjoying themselves! And of course, there's safety in numbers  ;)  .

In the Grills, the waiters sang by request only. And if it had ever been my birthday on board (sadly, it never was...) I would certainly not have requested them to sing in any of the Grills... but I would probably not have resisted in Caronia, and especially not in Mauretania  ;D  !

Offline skilly56

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2009, 12:08 PM »
Aha - I had totally forgotten the singing waiters until seeing this thread. July 2nd or 3rd 2008, enroute Lisbon from S'hampton, and we had a couple in the Mauretania who had just got married on the morning of sailing day, then directly boarded the ship for the honeymoon. Unfortunately we were at a window table on the stbd side and the newlyweds were over near the port side, but did they ever get the treatment! I cannot remember the song, but it was very loud and well harmonised. Well Done!
Skilly

Offline mickey g

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:50 PM »
On my four (so far) Cunard voyages (three on our lady) I have never known so many people have so many birthdays in such a short time which caused our singing waiters to perform! It was all in good fun though, all part of the memories
Yacht Club lover

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:34 AM »

Hi Skilly

This was the song!
Sadly I can't find a clip sung by waiters aboard QE2

Rosie
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 08:36 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Thanks Rosie, that was the one! The performance on-board was very memorable mainly for the enthusiasm and gusto of the waiters and appreciation from all the diners.

Finally got my internet back so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Cheers

Skilly

Offline Twynkle

QE2 and parties
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2009, 07:55 PM »
QE2 and Parties!

There always seemed to be lots of parties - Private, World Club members, by Special Invitation,  Crew Parties etc etc
Did they happen right at the beginning of QE2's life?
And how were the Party trips arranged?

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009, 08:30 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: QE2 and parties
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2009, 10:05 PM »

Parties Parties every day there was a Crew Party somewhere.I miss those days.The only thing i didnt like about them was the morning after.........when you wonder *What did i do last night ?.*  ;D

Louis

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 and parties
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2009, 01:06 AM »
Rosie,
QE2 and parties went hand in hand, l very early got into the habbit of cabin parties, and no voyage was complete without hosting them, the invites below were printed for just such nights. The champagne was usually down before hand and never had any trouble getting it onboard. The "from you moment" was always printed on the reverse.

My farewell trips last year involved one or two quieter parties
** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img35/26/img012b.jpg[/img]

The Captains invite, was probably the best one ever,and ment such a lot to me personally. And to dine on his table was indeed a very great honour.  

My 100th night onboard party l had reckoned we would be in Egypt,which would make for a long day so rather than have it on a port day l just had to book a one nighter on QE2 the same year and ensured the 100th night would land a sea day. It was held after Dinner in my cabin 3006 and it turned out to be a rather wild night and the champagne consumed that night just wasnt real it worked out at over a bottle each of us, not to mention the other spirits and l doubt if that cabin ever had so many folks in it before..  

It was the crew parties that were something else, Boy can those guys drink :o
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009, 01:14 AM by Cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Re: Celebrations and parties aboard (and the Singing Waiters)
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2009, 05:48 PM »
The waiters must have had a good repertoire. This was not one I ever heard them sing!

In July 2008, they regaled us several times each evening on a mini cruise with "Happy happy birthday sing the crew to you..." with their own words and a tune I had never heard before. I managed to memorise the tune as well as some of the words -- which we then rewrote in great giggling fits to give our Mum a special birthday treat in the guise of three "QE2 Singers" just a few weeks ahead of our final cruise, the Autumn Colours last year...

I am quite proud of our poetry  ;D  ... How many other Mums have had a ditty like this sung to them for their birthday?

Happy happy birthday from us all to you
have some cake and biscuits and some presents too!

Let us light a candle,
don't forget to blow it,
may your wish come true!

Let us take some photos,
let us write some haiku,
for the QE2!

For you know the ship is
waiting for us all and
wants to leave port soon!

Sitting in the Lido,
sandwiches and coffee
and more haiku too...

So, on this your birthday -- from us all to you
have some cake and biscuits and some presents too!

Let us light a candle,
don't forget to blow it,
may your wish come true!

And the same good wishes, of course, to all of us who are celebrating birthdays this year!

Happy anniversary to QE2!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Tomorrow, it will be two years since her big 40th anniversary celebration... 42 years since her launch...

Here are the two anniversary cakes she received last year... none this year I imagine, but we can revive the two photos at least :

Britannia Grill (with a fine wee model in the background -- wonder what happened to that one?) :

and Princess Grill :

Posted a few hours in advance, for all those who may still want to bake her an anniversary cake  ;D

Thinking of QE2 as she waits... happy to have her around still... and hoping for a brighter future around the corner!

Offline Avariel

Re: Happy anniversary to QE2!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Posted a few hours in advance, for all those who may still want to bake her an anniversary cake  ;D
I was actually was considering baking her a cake - but it's 1 20am in the morning. And I think my parents would kill me for making noise in the kitchen at this hour of the night.

Maybe I'll try get a large cookie and write Happy Birthday on it. It's not a cake - but I guess it counts.

Online cunardqueen

Re: Celebrations and parties aboard
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Here was the invites l had made for my 100th night onboard.. and l should have asked the neighbouring cabins as well

It was always a dream of doing the World Cruise on QE2, but never made it..   

RmsAquitania

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:26 AM »
I remeber Ozzy and the waiters singing happy anniversary for us in the mauretania and at the time thinking an my face get any redder !

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2013, 06:47 AM »
It is well worth having a look at the Photo Competition (November 2012) entries with this theme :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=77

And the poll for the winning entries, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4705.0.html

Happy memories!

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I would love to hear your memories of celebrations and parties onboard QE2. 

I remember how special it was when you had a birthday the waiters took time to hang balloons above your table and a cake was baked. You were made to feel very special!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2019, 05:59 PM »
My Mum was on board for her 75th birthday and had given strict instructions that no notice whatever should be taken of the date. This did not deter my brother from sending her a telex (sic!) and requesting a special birthday cake for her :) . No singing waiters though...

We used to be invited to the Chief Engineers' receptions, which took place in various locations, one of which involved climbing a narrow and steep stairs, where my sister's tights laddered and had to be dexterousy removed. I must confess that is my outstanding memory of that particular occasion!

The best parties, and the most glamorous ones, were no doubt the crew parties :

Crew Party in full swing

No through way

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2019, 10:10 PM »
A QE2 voyage wasnt a voyage unless you had a party, l used to forward some supplies to QE2 for the incabin socials.
I remember being asked along to a crew party and sharing  a beer with Ron Bolton,  My lasting memory, Jees could those guys drink !

The photos below 
Captains Bates and Wardroom invites
An incabin Med party invite
The Incabin Farewell Crossings crossing invites 
Anne Bright Cunard Club and if you were lucky the onshore lunch at The Polygon
My 20th with Cunard-Ritz Champagne.
A Crew Party in The Grand Lounge