Author Topic: Chatting about QE2's Hotel Conversion, August 2017  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Malcolm

Chatting about QE2's Hotel Conversion, August 2017
« on: Aug 12, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Externally, she is still 95% QE2, and still jaw-droppingly beautiful.  I've knocked 5% off for the lifeboats!

Externally true BUT what made QE2 was her soul, her crew and her passengers. Without them you'd be lucky to get 5% in total!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Chatting about QE2's Hotel Conversion, August 2017
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Externally true BUT what made QE2 was her soul, her crew and her passengers. Without them you'd be lucky to get 5% in total!

Well said Malcolm

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Thank you for posting -
However, This image, L, that was taken from her stern is Absolutely Heart-Breaking.
QE2 - It looks as if we are losing you
It's difficult to know how brave you need to be...

To The Owners of QE2 - Please, Please send something to Rob,
Any information will help - Hiding has Never been in QE2's Nature, she has Never Ever been Ashamed or Secretive.

QE2 has not been the most Famous, Loved and Greatest Ocean-Going Liner - just to look like this.
QE2 should remain; she has a reputation to maintain, particularly as a Highly Respected and Grand, Old Lady.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2017, 01:50 PM by Twynkle »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Well said Rosie, I'm afraid that nobody  'out there' is listening,  what caught my eyes were: looks like a shute from where the shops used to be - down to what used to be the boat /prom deck? (lots of used to be's there). Also what on earth is the big yellow bug looking thing infront of the tarpaulin sheets me asks....

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Well said Rosie, I'm afraid that nobody  'out there' is listening,  what caught my eyes were: looks like a shute from where the shops used to be - down to what used to be the boat /prom deck? (lots of used to be's there). Also what on earth is the big yellow bug looking thing infront of the tarpaulin sheets me asks....

QE2 is like a construction site.Its normal you see those materials.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Converting QE2 to a hotel was always going to require (a) tons of materials coming OFF the ship (b) demolition of parts of her interiors to make her suitable for a hotel role (c) structural and engineering changes to support her future role.

The fact that we're seeing this happening 8 years after we expected it to happen, shouldn't come as a shock - just a surprise its taken so long.

We don't know what's going on on board - we have no idea whether they're doing something amazing that we'll all love, or something horrendous that we'll all hate but I also don't think its unreasonable of them to not want photos of her interiors as they are just now.  Our crew members on this board know how shocking she looked during even relatively minor mid-life refits,  and that Cunard wouldn't have wanted their passengers seeing that!

I have a contact with her owners/manager.  Every now and then I touch base and let them know we're here, we care and we'd like to help.  They always reply politely, but they are unwilling to share anything with us YET.  They say they will when the time comes.

Lets just wait and see.  So far the only thing I'm sure about, that I don't approve of, is removing the lifeboat davits.  No glass funnel.  No lengthening the ship (both mooted in previous plans!).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Thank you, Rob.
Hopefully, you will hear something constructive.
(please, pardon the pun!)
It's understandable that QE2 would be looking messy, if they are making major changes inside, however it seemed that not only does she (and the port side Bridge wing) look bereft without her davits and boats, it's also the profile of her stern that seems to be looking quite different to before!

It seems as if there are two shutes, Pete - what I found more curious was the area that seems to be missing in the photo - about the rather 'saggy' looking shute on the R side (St'b'd side of her Boat deck), just beneath the sun deck....
Enjoy the weekend!
Rosie

Offline pete cain

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Perhaps they are frightened of failure..again
Now it seems the engines are to be removed.... :o
If her engines are to be removed, what a good opportunity to replace the funnel (God forbid) .Maybe Rosie the bug thing is the second shute , shucks even the eyesight is failing :-[
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2017, 07:44 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2017, 02:44 AM »
If her engines are to be removed, what a good opportunity to replace the funnel (God forbid) .Maybe Rosie the bug thing is the second shute , shucks even the eyesight is failing :-[
Maybe keep the current or rebuild the original? Keeping the current would save money for sure..
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017, 04:47 PM by Trevor Casey »
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2017, 06:22 PM »
They always reply politely, but they are unwilling to share anything with us YET.  They say they will when the time comes.   

As Captain Smith from Titanic said.."What can be done will be done, and we know how that ended up....."
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline skilly56

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:09 AM »
Very unlikely the engines will be removed. If you remove all that weight, which is located at the widest beam (ie., area of maximum buoyancy), there will be serious hogging issues as she tries to break her back upwards.
If 4,000 tons of machinery was removed, ballast or equivalent would need to be added. Otherwise the continual bending loads being applied to the upper decks and aluminium superstructure would result in cracking/failures in the structure, which is now 50 years old.
QM in long beach is now having problems due to the removal of her machinery.

When loading/discharging tankers and bulk carriers, the loading/offloading/ballasting sequences must be very closely followed or you end up with a ship breaking her back at the dock side! More ships break their backs when alongside than when at sea.

Skilly

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:47 AM »
Um, they need to keep the engine room enclosed with plexiglass and have it as a viewing room. Would be really cool.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 02:13 AM by Trevor Casey »
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Very unlikely the engines will be removed. If you remove all that weight, which is located at the widest beam (ie., area of maximum buoyancy), there will be serious hogging issues as she tries to break her back upwards.
If 4,000 tons of machinery was removed, ballast or equivalent would need to be added. Otherwise the continual bending loads being applied to the upper decks and aluminium superstructure would result in cracking/failures in the structure, which is now 50 years old.
QM in long beach is now having problems due to the removal of her machinery.

When loading/discharging tankers and bulk carriers, the loading/offloading/ballasting sequences must be very closely followed or you end up with a ship breaking her back at the dock side! More ships break their backs when alongside than when at sea.

Skilly

Interesting, thanks.  I've given this much thought (without having your engineering understanding).  I feel its important that QE2 Hotel is as self-contained as possible - for example her own air-conditioning plant on board.  My reason for saying this is that it would remove the requirement for adjacent buildings to keep her services going - Rotterdam has this, and I think its the only slightly disappointing aspect of her conversion.  With all her own equipment on board, she will be more alive - the hum of machinery and fans etc.  From a conservation point of view, retaining her awesome electric motors and as many of the engines as possible seems essential, but if they had to remove a few to make room for the above mentioned new equipment, that would be OK with me too.  What do you think?  She needs to LOOK like she could set sail, even if she can't - and QE2's power and speed were the essence of her, and need to be able to be explored on board.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Says it all for me Rob,

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2017, 01:21 AM »
  She needs to LOOK like she could set sail, even if she can't - and QE2's power and speed were the essence of her, and need to be able to be explored on board.

Look at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, while she clearly looks like she will never sail with all the various pipes and structures connecting her to land ,close your cabin door at night and get ready for bed and you would swear you were on the North Atlantic..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!