Author Topic: First QE2 trip (11th to the 17th August 2003)  (Read 493 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

First QE2 trip (11th to the 17th August 2003)
« on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:15 AM »
Hello everyone,

Here are some recently scanned, disposable film camera photos from my family's first QE2 trip - a 6 night Westbound Transatlantic crossing. These photos have not been seen before outside the family and are very poignant/sad for me and my Dad because of my Mum's Secondary Progressive MS which started rearing it's ugly head shortly after this trip. I was 6 years old (nearly 7 years old - my birthday is September 22nd). I took most of these photos on two cheap disposable cameras since my Dad was using his own, first digital camera.

Please excuse the upside down first photo, I rotated it on my PC due to scanning it upside down lol - but uploading to the forum has rotated it upside down again! I cannot edit attachments, would mods be able to help with this?

Thomas
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 05:25 AM by ThomasPixel »

First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Re: First QE2 trip (11th to the 17th August 2003)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:21 AM »
These are wonderful photos, Thomas! Great to see new, unseen photos added to the QE2 library!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:23 AM »
Here are the last few in this scan of the overall album. Includes my only photo of Concorde which was retired in November 2003 and a young version of me attempting to row one of the "Titanic" named rowing boats in Central Park, Manhattan, New York. We stayed for a few days in Manhattan before flying back to the UK.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:41 AM »
Just a temporary techie note: if you want to view the first photo the correct way round quickly and easily just press Control, Alt and the down arrow keys in this order/sequence while keeping them all pressed down on the keyboard to rotate your Windows PC's screen by 180 degrees (not sure how to do this on Mac but I'm sure there's a way, Google away!) just press Control, Alt and the up arrow keys in the same way to return your Windows PC's screen to normal orientation. Please be aware that the mouse cursor etc will act inverted and more at least in the upside down screen view, so takes a bit of getting used too!

Heard of the above method when in school, and faced this as an IT Support Apprentice at a Secondary School here in the UK (annoying but easy to fix haha).

Thomas

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 05:44 AM by ThomasPixel »

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2017, 06:10 AM »
re done

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

Here are some recently scanned, disposable film camera photos from my family's first QE2 trip - a 6 night Westbound Transatlantic crossing. These photos have not been seen before outside the family and are very poignant/sad for me and my Dad because of my Mum's Secondary Progressive MS which started rearing it's ugly head shortly after this trip. I was 6 years old (nearly 7 years old - my birthday is September 22nd). I took most of these photos on two cheap disposable cameras since my Dad was using his own, first digital camera.

Please excuse the upside down first photo, I rotated it on my PC due to scanning it upside down lol - but uploading to the forum has rotated it upside down again! I cannot edit attachments, would mods be able to help with this?

Thomas

Good thing I have my screen lock on the little iPad mini four I use. It has retina so it can be viewed horizontally and vertically.. I keep it locked at vertical. These pictures are absolutely awesome! Really cool seeing that porthole view! Thomas, you should enter one in the August photo competition!
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 05:35 PM by Trevor Casey »
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:40 AM »
Thank you Davina for fixing the first photo  :)

Trevor - I am moving a few things from home to where I now live, very soon, including an old Windows XP computer (itself made in 2005) which has most of the digital photos me and my Dad took of QE2 on its Hard Drive. For example it has all of the photos I took on my last QE2 trip in July 2008. I will be archiving all of the QE2 photos me and my Dad took over the years as well as plenty of family photos etc as an ongoing project for the foreseeable future. I recently bought a 2TB portable Hard Drive for this purpose. The digital photos I took of QE2, particularly in July 2008, are much better than some of the film photos I took as a 6 year old, shown above!

Thomas

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:50 AM »
Thank you Davina for fixing the first photo  :)

Trevor - I am moving a few things from home to where I now live, very soon, including an old Windows XP computer (itself made in 2005) which has most of the digital photos me and my Dad took of QE2 on its Hard Drive. For example it has all of the photos I took on my last QE2 trip in July 2008. I will be archiving all of the QE2 photos me and my Dad took over the years as well as plenty of family photos etc as an ongoing project for the foreseeable future. I recently bought a 2TB portable Hard Drive for this purpose. The digital photos I took of QE2, particularly in July 2008, are much better than some of the film photos I took as a 6 year old, shown above!

Thomas

Do you have a Flickr? You could make a album. I'm a complete beginner at Flickr so I wouldn't recommend coming to me. Lol
"I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams."-Madonna

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Do you have a Flickr? You could make a album. I'm a complete beginner at Flickr so I wouldn't recommend coming to me. Lol

I can highly recommend Flickr -- I joined coincidentally with QE2's penultimate Round Britain Voyage (2007) and even though it has changed a few times, I am very happy with the way it works.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I can highly recommend Flickr -- I joined coincidentally with QE2's penultimate Round Britain Voyage (2007) and even though it has changed a few times, I am very happy with the way it works.
Its very easy to upload to

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:12 PM »
I also highly recommend Flickr! I've had one for the past couple years now and I love it!

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Thank you for the advice folks! I'll probably set up a Flickr account for this purpose very soon.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Thank you for the advice folks! I'll probably set up a Flickr account for this purpose very soon.
Can't wait to see them!

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2017, 11:43 PM »
Looking forward to welcoming you to the Flickr family!

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2017, 11:27 PM »
Spent some of this evening setting up my Flickr and uploading some photos (some seen before on this forum but most not).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashypher

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2017, 12:01 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2017, 03:04 AM »
They all look fantastic, Thomas! :)

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Excellent photos, Thomas -- thank you for letting us see them!

Flickr also allows you to embed your photos in the Forum, when you use the "share" option. The advantage of that is that a particular picture you wish to talk about can be seen in the Forum, and you can write about it both before and after showing the picture (unlike attachments, which are always at the end of your text). Also, viewers can click the picture and see it in Flickr in various sizes and read your narrative there.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Excellent photos, Thomas -- thank you for letting us see them!
F
Flickr also allows you to embed your photos in the Forum, when you use the "share" option. The advantage of that is that a particular picture you wish to talk about can be seen in the Forum, and you can write about it both before and after showing the picture (unlike attachments, which are always at the end of your text). Also, viewers can click the picture and see it in Flickr in various sizes and read your narrative there.

And you won't have a watermark on your picture!

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2017, 12:30 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, life's been busy recently. Thank you for the help and advice everyone, I'll use the share and embedding feature Isabelle mentioned in the future. I'm hoping to bring the old XP PC  with most of me and my Dad's QE2 photos on it to where I now live, from home, very soon - I just need to buy a suitable office desk for it when I have the money (wish money grew on trees lol).

Thomas

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2017, 07:03 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, life's been busy recently. Thank you for the help and advice everyone, I'll use the share and embedding feature Isabelle mentioned in the future. I'm hoping to bring the old XP PC  with most of me and my Dad's QE2 photos on it to where I now live, from home, very soon - I just need to buy a suitable office desk for it when I have the money (wish money grew on trees lol).

Thomas

If that's the only place the photos are, get them backed up pronto!
Passionate about QE2 for 35 years.

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2017, 12:49 AM »
If that's the only place the photos are, get them backed up pronto!

When I have the old XP machine I will proceed to archive everything me and my dad want off it using a 64GB USB memory stick and a 2TB portable hard drive I have bought especially for this purpose. It is the only place quite a few of the photos are, such as the rest of my two separate QE2 bridge visit photos  :o

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:19 AM »
I backed up everything off of the old XP desktop and have done the same much more recently with our old XP laptop, finding more of my photos on the old XP laptop in the process - that are all now on my Flickr.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:16 AM »
 :)

You do have them all on an external back up as well, I trust?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:43 PM »
:)

You do have them all on an external back up as well, I trust?

Yes, I have the contents of both machine's My Documents (not very large lol) copied onto my portable hard drive and the contents of one on my One Drive. I am definitely one for making copies of backups etc. partially from having (albeit briefly) worked in IT. Both the machines still work fine for their age too, thank goodness (I am using one to capture and initially render my Dad's video footage from our last QE2 trip due to FireWire which is a can of worms lol).
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2017, 02:06 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Thomas,

As i was Chief Security Officer on QE2 in 2003 i checked in my Seaman's Discharge Book and i was onboard when your family made their initial QE2 voyage. I'd joined on 1st July in S'ton and signed off on 15th Sept in Palma. Being august it 'should' have been a fairly routine Trannie, was it?

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Thomas,

As i was Chief Security Officer on QE2 in 2003 i checked in my Seaman's Discharge Book and i was onboard when your family made their initial QE2 voyage. I'd joined on 1st July in S'ton and signed off on 15th Sept in Palma. Being august it 'should' have been a fairly routine Trannie, was it?

Hi Andy, what a small world yet again!  :)

The weather on that trip (Westbound TA - 6 nights by then) was excellent most of the way across - the North Atlantic was very Mediterranean like (glistening as my parents photos below show), sunny, warm most of the time, but was quite windy! However when we approached New York they were having a major thunderstorm that we may have witnessed from the ship (not the last time for us), the consequences of which ended up as a story in itself!

Dad's QE2 August 2003 digital photos by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Our Porthole (Cabin 5054 as my Dad named the photo file - the number is familiar too!)

Dad's QE2 August 2003 digital photos by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Taken by a kind crew member or fellow passenger on my Dad's camera at the time.

Mum's digital photos from August 2003 QE2 trip by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

To show the wind (mostly her headwind I suspect, as was normal). One of my Mum's photos from a happier and better time  :(

Thomas
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2017, 05:12 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:31 PM »
You had 5054?

Almost next door to ours a year earlier - 5050...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:43 AM »
Wow, another case of a small world! Just a couple of doors difference but on the same side of her I think (Portside) given the odd and even cabins being on different sides from memory (they are on QM2 for example). I'll consult a deckplan to confirm!
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2017, 03:46 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Somewhere on this forum we have a thread where everyone listed which cabin(s) they had occupied and when...  can't remember what it's called, but it's probably worth finding and bumping for the newer members to update with their own cabin details...

Offline Thomas Hypher

« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Somewhere on this forum we have a thread where everyone listed which cabin(s) they had occupied and when...  can't remember what it's called, but it's probably worth finding and bumping for the newer members to update with their own cabin details...

I will look for that topic. My Dad has kept the booking details etc. for each of our and his trips (two extra, one on QE2 and one on QM2) where the cabin numbers will be mentioned. I do remember that we were mostly on Five Deck but were on Four Deck at least once (most likely on our last QE2 trip in July 2008). I will see about recording the dates, trip itineraries, and cabin numbers etc. when I next visit home. I worked out our total number of nights onboard, yesterday, and does such a thread exist for that?

Thomas

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:32 PM »
I'm not sure of a specific thread - there has been a discussion of total time on board; it might even be in the same thread.

« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:06 PM »
I'm not sure of a specific thread - there has been a discussion of total time on board; it might even be in the same thread.

We could continue this discussion in the earlier topic, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1312.0.html

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Thank you Isabelle - goodness, was it really seven years ago we last looked at this sort of thing?!