Author Topic: Potential, actual audio of QE2's bow foghorn  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Potential, actual audio of QE2's bow foghorn
« on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Hello everyone,

It seems that people outside of this forum who also don't know the difference between horns and whistles have often, and mistakenly, call QE2's two signal mast mounted air powered whistles horns or even foghorns. As a result there are a lot of YouTube videos titled with QE2's foghorns (even though she only has one) sounding.

As of now I have only ever found one YouTube video that strongly appears to feature the actual electrically powered foghorn sounding, uniquely, on its own. The video shows QM2 and QE2's last meeting before QE2's retirement and QE2's foghorn response is distinct from QM2's foghorn you hear in amongst her own whistle and horn soundings. I can testify to that as having stood under QM2's foghorn when it has been sounded! The "beat frequency" of QE2's normal voice is not present in her response to QM2 suggesting the foghorn was being used at the time.

Thomas

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Potential, actual audio of QE2's bow foghorn
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Edit: since I have read the horn/whistle topic on this part of the forum again for the first time in a couple of years and looked at specs and diagrams of one of the Kockum Sonics horns QE2 has (looked on google images but cannot get the same image to show again to link it here for some reason despite doing the exact same search and looking back in the browser history). I need to make a correction in that QE2 actually has only horns and no whistles at all. She has one air powered horn (air vibrating a diaphragm and the vibration being amplified) and one electrically powered horn (an electric motor vibrating the diaphragm and the vibration being amplified) in the Signal mast. The bow "foghorn" is an electrically powered horn too. All were made by Kockum Sonics.

Each of the Signal mast horns was meant to be 75Hz in output and therefore pitch but were different by a couple of Hz each causing the "beat frequency" mentioned plenty of times. The bow foghorn is 130Hz in output and therefore pitch.

Here are the links to my sources of information:

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6201.0.html   (Skilly's reply)

http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/

It's good how a little more digging around online overturns what one previously thought must be correct, haha. Even if it makes one look stupid in public  ::)

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2017, 09:34 PM »

I like the sound here. She sounds so mature and elegant.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2017, 02:26 AM »
So true, Trevor.  She has a magnificent voice, doesn't she ! :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:43 AM »
So true, Trevor.  She has a magnificent voice, doesn't she ! :)

Her voice is magnificent! Sounds deep and immaculate. Flawless per say.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.