Author Topic: Windows and Portholes on QE2  (Read 442 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Windows and Portholes on QE2
« on: Aug 02, 2017, 03:01 AM »
I'm not being picky but your post's made me wonder: does QE2 have any windows that open? I'm sure the answer is yes because some of those screens at the rear had opening sections but where else?  ???

Malcolm and Trevor - if you count portholes as windows then they were all openable in theory as far as I remember and can find out. Although on Five Deck you wouldn't want to open them most of the time for risk of causing a "Niagra" call and a ruined holiday - and they were reinforced by deadlights in pretty much any kind of bad sea state from what I remember. Six Deck's crew cabin portholes were virtually permanently secured with deadlights due to basically being at waterline level while underway.

My dad shot video of QE2 at speed (about 28 to 30 knots!) in an choppy Bay of Biscay through the original screen windows aft on One deck near the swimming pool and jacuzzis. He held his camera out through the windows and over the stern of the ship in a strong headwind.

Here's some shameless advertising for my dad's mainly QE2 related YouTube channel and a link to the video in question:

Thomas
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2017, 02:04 PM by Rob Lightbody »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: Windows and Potholes on QE2
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2017, 03:06 AM »
Just realised, sorry for derailing the topic with my unrelated post! If my post needs to be moved elsewhere feel free to do so.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

trevorc

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Just realised, sorry for derailing the topic with my unrelated post! If my post needs to be moved elsewhere feel free to do so.

Insomniac here, and no, personally you didn't derail the topic. So he was able to get the window open at the aft deck?

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:20 PM »
5 deck portholes were NOT openable. Yes, you could lift the deadlights. One deck forward had openable windows, as did sports deck

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Insomniac here, and no, personally you didn't derail the topic. So he was able to get the window open at the aft deck?

I think that you need to realise the difference between a porthole and a window in relation to QE2.

All outside cabins had portholes, of which some were openable - higher decks - but not really advised for obvious, previously stated reasons.

The windows Thomas' Dad used are on pool deck and were large, centrally pivoted top and bottom, windows that could be opened to give cooling air or kept closed to provide a sheltered area, away from the wind.
Depending on which way the prevailing wind was coming from, this was the side to be closed and the 'lee side' could be opened.