Author Topic: Upper Deck adventures  (Read 620 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Upper Deck adventures
« on: Aug 01, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

Did anyone else get impossibly lost in dead ends and stairs to nowhere whilst on Upper Deck? Despite several cruises on QE2 I still struggled with getting around Upper Deck. As far as I know the dead ends etc on Upper Deck were a by-product of the original two class system that was planned for QE2 but never used as far as I know - except for the exclusive Queen's Grill areas and penthouses on the top decks.

An educated guess is this is one of the reasons QE2 was not SOLAS compliant in the end since dead end corridors have been outlawed since the updated SOLAS that came from the aftermouth of the fire on the Scandinavian Star ferry in the mid 1990s. In the Scandinavian Star fire the dead end corridors caused a large proportion of the deaths in the fire.

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Upper Deck adventures
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

Did anyone else get impossibly lost in dead ends and stairs to nowhere whilst on Upper Deck? Despite several cruises on QE2 I still struggled with getting around Upper Deck. As far as I know the dead ends etc on Upper Deck were a by-product of the original two class system that was planned for QE2 but never used as far as I know - except for the exclusive Queen's Grill areas and penthouses on the top decks.

An educated guess is this is one of the reasons QE2 was not SOLAS compliant in the end since dead end corridors have been outlawed since the updated SOLAS that came from the aftermouth of the fire on the Scandinavian Star ferry in the mid 1990s. In the Scandinavian Star fire the dead end corridors caused a large proportion of the deaths in the fire.

Thomas

What dead end corridors are you referring to?

My understanding was that QE2 could have been made SOLAS compliant with relatively minor alterations required.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03:32 PM »
By dead ends I meant rooms that couldn't be accessed or passed through easily for usage reasons despite having corridors leading to and potentially through them - my mistake. Also I strongly recall, but may be mistaken, the top of a stairway that linked the Britannia/Princess grills to the deck below (although these restaurants don't appear to be on Upper Deck  ::) - my mistake again. That staircase was the main place I got lost at on the ship.

I am not well versed enough on SOLAS to know what extent of work QE2 would have needed to become compliant. I made a poor educated guess as to the reasons Cunard didn't do the SOLAS required work.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08:28 PM »
By dead ends I meant rooms that couldn't be accessed or passed through easily for usage reasons despite having corridors leading to and potentially through them - my mistake. Also I strongly recall, but may be mistaken, the top of a stairway that linked the Britannia/Princess grills to the deck below (although these restaurants don't appear to be on Upper Deck  ::) - my mistake again. That staircase was the main place I got lost at on the ship.

I am not well versed enough on SOLAS to know what extent of work QE2 would have needed to become compliant. I made a poor educated guess as to the reasons Cunard didn't do the SOLAS required work.

You make lots of interesting points.  I think often things felt like dead-ends, even if they weren't.  For example when you went down from Upper Deck to the PG or BG restaurants, it felt like there was no other way out - but actually there were hidden disabled/emergency doors that led through to the Caronia on Quarter Deck.

As it was explained to me, QE2 had lots of exemptions for various certification and safety things, and for things where she was safe, but different - but only for as long as she continued to sail for the same owner, and under the same registry.  For that reason, to sail under her Dubai Ownership, was going to require more work than if she'd just kept sailing for Cunard.  I guess its a bit like when you drive an old car - it doesn't have to meet the exact same requirements as a brand new one just to be on the roads today.

We have some fabulous topics about the various confusing stairways that people enjoyed getting lost on!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2017, 11:17 PM »
The "dead ends" give/gave QE2 its character.  G Stairway on Q-deck was one of my favorites.  In the 70's the G-Stairway landing on Q Deck looked as if there was no where to go but if you walked toward the glass panel wall, you'd find a passageway going outboard on either side which put you on the promenade along Q. 

There's a boat drill scene in the 1979 National Geographic special on QE2 where passengers are at this spot and don't know where to go.  Every time I watch that I say to myself, "been there done that"  with pride!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:40 AM »
Rob - that's interesting to note the extent of exemptions QE2 had in that regard, I knew of the grandfathered status she had (and perhaps still has?) regarding the Hz of the main Typhon horns on the signal mast (hence QM2 having the higher Hz and therefore pitch replica of the original QM's whistles alongside the original QM whistle - although should they be called whistles in QM2's case anymore? Since they are both air powered only instead of steam powered - the steam being for effect only as Stephen Payne once described). What I do find interesting (and perhaps I should be discussing this in a QE2 horn thread) is the slight Hz difference in QE2's signal mast horns resulting in a "beat frequency" which differs in rate depending on air conditions etc. Was this an accident or intended in QE2's case? Seems to be too unique to me to be intended. Also can anyone confirm if whistles are only steam powered and to call all other similar but air powered or even electrically powered things just horns is correct?

Bob C - I agree they give QE2 her character even if they are very confusing at the time haha. Will need to watch some more QE2 documentaries on YouTube sometime soon!

Thomas

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2017, 07:12 AM »
*facepalm* I've just answered my own question and addressed my complete ignorance on the difference between horns and whistles thanks to a train based forum. Paraphrasing here: Whistles can be air or steam powered. Air or steam is forced through an initially small opening at high pressure making a whistle sound that is then magnified/amplified by the rest of the shape of the unit. Alternatively a horn works by vibrating a diaphragm normally via an electric motor but sometimes via compressed air to produce its sound that is then magnified/amplified through the shape of the rest of the unit. To put it much more succinctly, a horn uses something to vibrate the diaphragm that then makes the sound but with a whistle the air or steam actually makes the sound due to the pressure it's under.

This explains the distinctly breathy sound of a lot of whistles compared to the (I think at least) cleaner sound of a horn.

In case anyone wants to see the source of this information, here's the link:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,209044,nodelay=1

Thomas
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2017, 07:16 AM by ThomasPixel »

George Parker - Shipyard Manager Upper Clyde Shipbuilders from 1968

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Build

Replies: 2
Views: 3970
Last post Mar 31, 2017, 11:23 AM
by Hugh Morrison
The funnel goes on (upper & lower parts)

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 1
Views: 2059
Last post May 21, 2010, 07:53 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (Autopsy)

Started by pete cainBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 20
Last post Oct 14, 2019, 07:42 PM
by pete cain
Upper Clyde Shipbuilders - archiving records