Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: David Smith Crew Portraits (1996 / 1997)  (Read 1327 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

David Smith Crew Portraits (1996 / 1997)
« on: Jul 30, 2017, 12:28 AM »
Sarah Smith has written to TheQE2Story as follows : "In 1996/97 my father, the artist David Smith, was the artist on the QE2 for her world cruise. The two masters at the time were Commodore John Burton-Hall and Captain Keith Stanley. My father died in 1997 leaving behind some copies of the book that he produced called QE2 Portrait of a Great Ship and many small portrait drawings of the crew. Sadly none of these portraits are named. I would really like to give these portraits to the people concerned or find some other home for them as I can no longer store them."

She sent the entire portrait collection in small format, and these can be seen in the following Gallery Album :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=166

In the first instance, she would like to identify the crew members portrayed here, so that each portrait can go to the right person.

I am sure that these pictures will bring back vivid memories -- of the crew members, and hopefully also of the portrait drawing sessions! Wishing you lots of fun as you explore these beautiful pictures.

What strikes me, on quick viewing during the upload, is how different these pictures are one from the other, and how the artist seems to have made each one of them very personal. As far as I can see, there is a personal message to the crew member on most of these pictures, and I am sure they would be very precious to the portrayed subjects.

Thank you so much, Sarah, for this wonderful collection!

Online Andy Holloway

Re: David Smith Crew Portraits (1996 / 1997)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2017, 10:06 AM »
What a wonderful record.

Now to start remembering names to portraits!

I'll start the ball rolling with No 50 - Martin STENSALL.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Thank you very much, Andy! I have marked the name with no. 50.

I am sure that with combined forces here, we should be able to recognise more of the faces!

The next step then would be to find the best way in which the person portrayed could be united with her or his portrait.

trevorc

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2017, 11:05 PM »
The shading makes it so realistic! I love these portraits!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Amazing record of QE2 crew.  I hope we can names to each of the sketches
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Number 12 John Duffy!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2017, 06:07 PM »
This is truly a remarkable collection !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Number 12 John Duffy!

Also 35.

I've cheated and found out through a contact onboard at the time several more, but i'll 'drip feed' them just to make it that  more interesting.

I'm sure Michael Gallagher will be able to, not only recognise a lot but also, know where they ended up. Some are still with Cunard but i suspect that you wouldn't need more than 1 hand to count them on, if that!!!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2017, 04:18 PM »

No 43 - Terry Foskett - Chief Purser, after retiring from Cunard on 'age grounds' he was snapped up by RCCL where he went on to serve for some years.

18 - Gail Seymour [now Elliott] - Tour Staff.   Married Hamish Elliott also Cunard and latterly Seabourn.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Excellent! Thank you, and looking forward to more "drip feeding"!

Anyone willing to deliver portraits to the subjects, which would involve collecting them from the south-east of England?

Offline Rod

« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2017, 06:33 PM »
Foskett is in the US

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2017, 07:25 PM »
They've lived in US for many years, S/Carolina i think it was.

Offline Rod

« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Trying to get in touch with him now!

« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Trying to get in touch with him now!

Thank you! It would be great if Sarah could get the portrait to him :) .

Offline Terry Foskett

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2017, 10:56 PM »
Rod was in touch about the sketch of me. How do I get in touch with Sarah. My contact email is canpac43@gmail.com or phone
+1919-267-4860.
Best regards
Terry Foskett
Terry Foskett

« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2017, 01:20 AM »
Rod was in touch about the sketch of me. How do I get in touch with Sarah. My contact email is canpac43@gmail.com or phone
+1919-267-4860.
Best regards
Terry Foskett

Thank you very much, Terry. I have contacted Sarah and suggested to her that she gets in touch with you. It would be lovely if in this way the first of these portraits could find its subject!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2017, 08:10 AM »

No. 10 - Jonathon Leaver.  Chief Purser

No. 63 - Roger Skoyles.  Heli Deck Steward. [Had an 'interesting' post QE2 life!]

« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:55 PM »
Glad to report that Terry's portrait is meanwhile on the way to him -- the first portrait that has found its subject!

I hope we can get some more identifications -- please kindly help Sarah, as I fear she may not be able to hold on to these portraits indefinitely.

Andy, for those crew members whom you and your friends have already identified, would you know how to contact them?

How about John Duffy -- could we get his two portraits to his widow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) .

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Glad to report that Terry's portrait is meanwhile on the way to him -- the first portrait that has found its subject!

I hope we can get some more identifications -- please kindly help Sarah, as I fear she may not be able to hold on to these portraits indefinitely.

Andy, for those crew members whom you and your friends have already identified, would you know how to contact them?

Leave this to me as i'll use the QE2 Crew Facebook page to publisise that these portraits are out there and wanting to go to the subjects. I spoke to Jonathon Leaver and he had forgotten all about these portraits. I'll PM you.

How about John Duffy -- could we get his two portraits to his widow?

I think that would be a lovely idea and will PM Michael about how we could set it up for possibly the Memorial Service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) .
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017, 11:17 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Thank you very much, Andy -- that is so helpful. I am really looking forward to hearing that many of these portraits have finally arrived where their subjects now live. I am sure they will bring up many memories of sitting for David Smith, and it would be lovely if we got to hear one or two of those :) .

Make sure that the crew members you meet get in touch with us, so that we can arrange with Sarah for the portraits to be sent. It would be lovely for the Forum itself to stay involved with what happens next, and we look forward to hearing the reactions of those finally reunited with their portraits!
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017, 12:09 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »