Author Topic: Air Pump Issues Stifle Waverley's 70th Anniversary Season  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi Folks,

As the title suggests the Clyde's other grand lady has been tied up at Largs Pier since last Wednesday night (19th July) with air pump issues which require a new bespoke part to be made.

The air pump is critical to the running of the engine - it is part of the condensate return system and also generates the vacuum required to draw the exhaust steam from the low pressure cylinder through the condenser and then push the resultant condensate from the condenser onwards back into the boiler feed water system. Unfortunately due to the location, size and type of unit fitted it was not possible to fit an electrically powered backup (as has been done with her boiler feed water and condenser circulation pumps) therefore we have a single point of failure and its failed!!

The design of the pump (built by Dawson and Downie of Clydebank - now Dawson, Downie and Lamont based in Glenrothes) is a masterpiece of common sense, similar to a big steam driven cafetiere - but I'll put you all to sleep with all that another time!! Suffice to say even thought the company is still around they haven't built a unit such as this for well over 50yrs!

This is not good for the paddler's image (although she is 70 years old and that pump is the same age as her!) or for revenue.

Lets hope they get her back to rude health soon!!

Gav

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Air Pump Issues Stifle Waverley's 70th Anniversary Season
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Oh no, poor Waverley, and what a time for it to happen!

Can they make two of the pump once they figure out how to make one?

I have two trips planned after a multi year absence so hope she gets better soon!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Thanks, Gav, for the information about Waverley.  That is such a shame, but it is still a very good track record for a pump of 70 years.  I also hope she can get back into service soon.  To make two pumps would not be a bad idea ! 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2017, 08:00 PM »
We saw her last week in Loch Fyne and she looked great despite the appalling weather. Hope they are able to do a fix quickly. Makes me grateful that parts for Lone Gerds 31 year old Volvo Penta are available off the shelf (at a price).

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Bad news that the Waverley is tied up during the Summer season, a time when she should be making lots of money.  I hope they get the part made soon and as Rob said it would be good planning to have another spare made. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Any news?

There are some very angry reviews online... People turning up at the pier to discover no Waverley and nobody to explain.  There's been no tweets, and I don't see anything on their Facebook page.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Well, she's sailing again - she passed my house at 12:10 today heading down river in the direction of Largs.
Not sure if she is back in service or not, but certainly moving at her usual brisk pace.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Well, she's sailing again - she passed my house at 12:10 today heading down river in the direction of Largs.
Not sure if she is back in service or not, but certainly moving at her usual brisk pace.

That's good news, a lot of income would have been lost for the company. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2017, 10:18 AM »
She was tied up at Largs pier last night when I passed. Not sure if this means she's ready for service again, but certainly moving under her own steam.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2017, 10:32 PM »
I can confirm Waverley sailed through Lamlash Bay Arran whilst we were anchored there yesterday and she wasn't hanging about.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Oh no, poor Waverley, and what a time for it to happen!

Can they make two of the pump once they figure out how to make one?

I have two trips planned after a multi year absence so hope she gets better soon!

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure what part required replacing - the largest part is the bronze "bucket" which is effectively the body of the pump but it could've been part of the mechanism which operates the non return valves or even a part of the steam driver itself. It would also depend on cost - the replaced part has lasted a long time so lets hope the new one lasts as long!!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Any news?

There are some very angry reviews online... People turning up at the pier to discover no Waverley and nobody to explain.  There's been no tweets, and I don't see anything on their Facebook page.

Rob,

The public facing part of the Waverley setup has never been that great (well not since I got involved with her about 15 years ago) so I'm not surprised about the very negative reviews.

Shes back in service again today (currently heading for Largs at 10.5knts) after missing her sailing yesterday due to a float replacement after an argument with something floating in the river (which won it would appear)

Gav

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I had a short,lovely trip on board on Saturday.  Prunela Scales and Timothy West were on board also.  Unfortunately at Greenock they announced that they were abandoning tighnabruich and the kyles to attend to the generator repair.  They spent 3 hours in rothesay instead.  I'm not sure how it happened that they didn't know until greenock...

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:10 PM »
I had a short,lovely trip on board on Saturday.  Prunela Scales and Timothy West were on board also.  Unfortunately at Greenock they announced that they were abandoning tighnabruich and the kyles to attend to the generator repair.  They spent 3 hours in rothesay instead.  I'm not sure how it happened that they didn't know until greenock...

Poor show there - getting people on board under false pretences! That should've been announced before departing from Glasgow unless something happened between Glasgow and Greenock which meant the repair had to go ahead that day or something similar.

50th anniversary related get togethers

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 1207
Last post Jul 26, 2017, 12:57 AM
by Chris
New album for QE2 Story 50th Anniversary Weekend

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Story QE2 50 year conference 22 September 2017

Replies: 12
Views: 2426
Last post Oct 30, 2017, 12:51 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
"Live" Videos shot at the QE2 Story 50th Anniversary Conference

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Story QE2 50 year conference 22 September 2017

Replies: 8
Views: 1452
Last post Sep 25, 2017, 02:48 AM
by June Ingram
Lusitania Anniversary events 2009 - 2015

Started by KEVBoard Ships

Replies: 9
Views: 3546
Last post Jul 24, 2015, 01:58 PM
by Chris
ps Waverley 2011 Season

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley