Author Topic: John Duffy  (Read 1159 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

John Duffy
« on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:01 PM »
I am very sad to let you know that John Duffy - QE2's legendary Hotel Manager and longest serving four-stripe officer in Cunard history - passed away this morning, Tuesday 11 July 2017.

It is strange that he passed away just as Queen Elizabeth was arriving on the Mersey in his home City!

A great man and a Cunard legend.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 12:06 PM by Michael Gallagher »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: John Duffy
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Very sad news that John Duffy has died. He was always very pleasant when I had the opportunity to speak to him and always interested in QE2 stories.  A QE2 legend has passed on - my heartfelt sympathy goes to his family. 

I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Thank you very much, Michael, for letting us know. The QE2 network lives on...

Very sad to hear that John Duffy died so soon into his retirement -- I would have wished him many happy years of happy memories and new adventures.

He was a wonderful gentleman. We have great memories of sitting outside the Computer Learning Centre in our evening clothes, writing on our laptops (and using the Computer Centre's wifi). John passed by almost every evening at that time, and always greeted us with a pleasant personal word.

I believe he had Irish roots, and this may have contributed to his remembering us -- but then, I also believe that he had a friendly word for almost everyone!

Michael, if you are in touch with his family, please pass our condolences to them.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Thank you for letting us know, Michael.
We have some wonderful memories of him, he was such a good, kind gentle-man.
As long as the ships have blue seats on the deck-chairs,
people may discover why they are specifically 'that' blue.
They were Mr Duffy's choice - the blue of Everton FC.

[For people who knew John and his family personally
Janice Jeffrey has been in close touch with John and his family - and posted the following on a page on Facebook.
"Our hearts and prayers go out to Marie and Johnny at this time for their very sad loss. As some of you may know John had been struggling with very ill health for the last 7 months and now he is at peace.
As soon as I hear information on funeral arrangements I will let you know....]
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 06:55 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 9 whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2017, 03:01 PM »
A very sad day in the history of QE2. Rest in Peace Mr John Duffy. The legendary Hotel Manager onboard QE2. The names QE2 & John Duffy went hand in hand. It was a tremendous honour and pleasure to be invited to dine at your table and to have sat at the same table with the same host exactly 19 years apart . You are as much a part of Cunard history as the ship you were Hotel Manager on. The memories we passengers have of you will be forever in our minds . There is only one QE2...there will only ever be one Hotel Manager. At Rest..At Peace .

On my cruise in 2007 l mentioned as l was seated next to Mr Duffy that it was by a quirk of fate exactly 19 years to the night we were in the same position, l had been invited to the Hotel Managers Table. He told me he would check up as he kept a diary, and he did ! he also told me of one of the best things ever to come out of the 86/87 refit .  Anyone who had the great fortune to dine with Mr John Duffy  was in for a superlative experience. and a level of service like no other.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2017, 03:29 PM »
After suggesting it, Queen Elizabeth will sound her whistle for 47 seconds at 2155 hours tonight - just before she leaves Liverpool. 47 seconds for 47 years of Cunard service by a true Cunarder.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:06 PM »
After suggesting it, Queen Elizabeth will sound her whistle for 47 seconds at 2155 hours tonight - just before she leaves Liverpool. 47 seconds for 47 years of Cunard service by a true Cunarder.

Well organised Michael, i hope they pay a tribute to John in tomorrow's daily programme on QE as well.

Andy

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:09 PM »

A tribute that signifies John's career with Cunard, which is so appropriate.  Thanks for suggesting this Michael, your experience in these matters is second to none. 
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Well organised Michael, i hope they pay a tribute to John in tomorrow's daily programme on QE as well.   

Wouldnt it be just so nice if QE2 gave a quiet toot at the same time...

Maybe its me, but the Cunard facebook page seems to be lacking in any notice of this sad event..

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Just out of interest Michael, who is Captain of QE at present, Inger or Asheem?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I agree Myles. The social media team was alerted to this over four hours ago!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Inger.

Aseem rejoins this Friday.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Inger.

Aseem rejoins this Friday.

Thank you Michael.

If you see them please pass on my regards, two 'Cracking people'.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:51 PM »
I agree Myles. The social media team was alerted to this over four hours ago!

As an ex very disgruntled passenger of QE2. l do wish they would get with it, buck up their ideas .I have just now made my own personal views known to them via their message format on Facebook.

If some of you find this perhaps a step to far, then that is entirely your own view. l make no apologies . Today Cunard lost someone very special and the very least the dum ****s can do is acknowledge it .

It saddens not only myself but a great many other QE2  die hard fans that as yet there is still no mention of the passing of one of Cunards greatest and long serving officers Mr John Duffy who passed away early this morning. I can only guess that todays facebook officer has no idea who Mr Duffy was . He was one of Cunards longest serving four strip officer in the history of Cunard . He served as a much loved and widely respected Hotel Manager onboard for what is still regarded as The flagship Queen Elizabeth 2 .   There is still perhaps some time to save some face, if Cunard is interested and make it public information on here of your small but fitting tribute  tonight at 2155. It might be fitting to fly the flags at half mast and post a photo again as a tribute to one of Cunard QE2s finest officers. Tomorrow lm afraid is to late.     

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I never met John, but I've heard lots about him.

I visited his office when I was on QE2 in Dubai, and somehow it felt wrong me being there without him (the office was untouched).

He visited QE2 a year after me, and I presume is the last Cunard officer to have been aboard QE2 - https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4279.0.html

I attach a rights-free Getty Images image of his wife and a photo of him.
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Online June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:50 PM »
It is very sad news indeed to hear of John Duffy's passing.  Sincere sympathy to his family and thoughts to all those whose lives he touched.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:07 PM »
So very sad to hear of John Duffy's passing. A true gentleman and the kindest person I think I have ever encountered.

I was on board when John took over from John Sawyer, another legendary hotel manager. It was always easy to deal with John and he would always go the extra mile to sort anything out.

Condolences to John's family and friends.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Posted in We are Cunard 2012
http://wearecunard.com/2012/05/thank-you-john-duffy/

Hopefully, if it's appropriate, sometime in the future there could be a Thanksgiving Service in Liverpool for Mr Duffy.
As he used to say of QE2, he too was Simply the Best.
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 9 whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Boris

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Txt from John Duffy Jnr:

As the Queen Elizabeth leaves Liverpool tonight her horn will be sounded 47 times in honour of the 47 years my father worked for Cunard. Flags on Cunard ships will be at half mast tomorrow my friends xx

Offline GJ

« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:10 PM »
   Iam currently out of liverpool if there was one night id like to be stood on the pier head it would be tonite    RIP JOHN ,   WHITE STAR SERVICE  was your by word   I got to know what it meant , your stories captivated and amused me  it was an honor to have known you  Graham / lynda 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2017, 05:04 AM »
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:01 AM »
I am very sad to hear of John Duffy's passing.

He wrote one chapter in my first book "A Tribute To QE2" and I've always felt extremely grateful to him. He was a very kind man and the text he wrote was... simply the best.

Nice to hear QE will sound her horn today in honor of John's years with Cunard.

My heartfelt condolences go to his family.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 07:08 AM by QE2forever »

Offline Rod

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:42 PM »
One of my most vivid memories of John Duffy was of him, stbd side fwd,round about 1011 for about 10 cabins down. uniform trousers rolled up to his knees wading through ankle deep water as we dealt with a flood.

Offline ship pro

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2017, 01:10 PM »
A photo of John, out of uniform, when he was doing the General Manager role, at the front of his favourite ship, with all the officers and crew October 1986 in San Juan. Happy days.

It was nice that QE did that recognition in Liverpool.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Here is John onboard QE2 for the last time in 2012

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:00 PM »

As an ex very disgruntled passenger of QE2. l do wish they would get with it, buck up their ideas .I have just now made my own personal views known to them via their message format on Facebook.   

Ok maybe its me, and tell me to shut up..But last night l wrote the message to The Cunard Facebook page...up pops the little messge box telling you their online so l type away...then this morning at 11.45am a reply as below

Thank you for your message and please rest assured that the loss of Mr Duffy is very much at the forefront of our minds at the moment. Our Chief Executive has sent an internal memorial message to staff at Carnival House, where the flags have indeed been lowered to half mast.

Now forgive me but l do use FB quite a lot, l really thought and imagined that as a mark of respect Cunard would have made a mention about such an iconic character..Well it  seems No they havent instead they post some drivel about Queen whatever and the Winter Garden... No mention of the Blowing of whistles last night as a mark of respect.  some other posters on other social media sites speak of the Haunting experience of the sound last night.  Would it have been so much effort for Cunard to have posted something ?
What i do find quite sad is one poster on a social media site asked the Question.... Who is John Duffy....
Is this the Cunard passenger of today.....

Tell me lm not alone in my way of thinking   :'(

Online June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Myles, you are not alone !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #27 on: Jul 12, 2017, 10:59 PM »
The response from current management has been appalling and disrespectful. It is a company John Duffy would not recognise and does not offer something Mr Duffy valued more than anything: SERVICE.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:00 AM »
The response from current management has been appalling and disrespectful. It is a company John Duffy would not recognise and does not offer something Mr Duffy valued more than anything: SERVICE.

The sad part is Michael that, as both you and i know to our cost, there has been a lot of  'anti Cunard' feeling within CUK, and particularly the P&O side, for years.

Also there are very few, if any, 'true blue' Cunarders left within CUK any more, and if they could get rid on the likes of Chris Wells, Inger, Asheem 'quietly' they would at the drop of a hat, then swiftly replace them with CUK 'Yes Men'.

It's taken me some years to 'get over' my incident with CUK, not that you truly ever do, and involved moving to another company. Seabourn, where a lot of ex Cunarders had also gone before me for similar reasons.

I'm afraid this latest incident is just symptomatic of CUK in 2017, and we who have worked for 'CUNARD' in the past and remember what that name REALLY meant, unfortunately have no power to change things. In my case, i have some brilliant memories of my almost 20 years 'before the mast' with Cunard, and those memories CUK has no power or way of taking away from me.
That is why i enjoy QE2 Story so much, instead of dwelling on the bad times, and there were some, i choose recall and remember the good times, with the truly, fantastic, interesting people i've met over the years.

Anyway back to 'Mr Duffy' and recalling what a 'legend' he was.

Offline Boris

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2017, 03:18 PM »

Offline Rod

« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2017, 04:02 PM »
With all due respect to the Americans on this forum, Cunard has not been Cunard since the management moved to the US.
It is now no longer a luxury shipping company but purely a business.
This started well before the re-engining.
Some people loved the change, others not so much!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2017, 11:33 PM »
'Hotman' at the helm
There is something good to read here.
https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/42554/hotman-at-the-helm

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: Jul 14, 2017, 09:18 AM »
Excellent find Rosie - really good article
www.qe2event.com

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #33 on: Jul 14, 2017, 05:30 PM »

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #34 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Who is John Duffy....

He came from a time when anyone who had a major role with Cunard had to be a big character. A lot of people probably still remember Maureen Ryan but Anne Bright? Jimmy Murray? :(

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #35 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Both Anne and Jimmy were great individuals, great brand ambassadors and two very nice people

Offline Boris

« Reply #36 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:26 PM »
With all due respect to the Americans on this forum, Cunard has not been Cunard since the management moved to the US. It is now no longer a luxury shipping company but purely a business.

Well, to be fair to the Americans, I would say that Cunard has not been 'Cunard' since their shipping and resort business was taken over in 1971 by Trafalgar House Investments: the engineering, construction, property development conglomerate. And although THI was a British company, it was certainly not Cunard in its management style, ethos or culture.

There would be many that would say if you didn't sail on the QE2 prior to 1971, you weren't truly a Cunarder; no matter it may have been operating under that brand name when you sailed.

But I would agree that things have slipped further since the take over by Carnivore.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2017, 03:25 AM by Boris »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #37 on: Jul 14, 2017, 09:42 PM »
Anne Bright? 

She had the World club named after her, in the early days about she only had a couple of thousand members,, and a fee of i think £20 a year,  the World club tie,l only ever spotted someone else with one ! bag tags a regular newsy letter and group sailings. The present World club, is l think a bit of a joke, Im a Diamond member and (oh here we go again) the Famous year book they have yet to send out (had it not been for a friend l would never have had any copies) try and get through to them and reservations intercept your call (a paid call l hasten to add) and the Newsletter, well its more a sales promotion, it seems to be reduced to being sent out once a year. Ok l havent sailed since 2008 but that really isnt the point !! Her letters during the refit in 86/87 were a source of much news and interest, and she ran a competition to rename the Double Room to its present name.

Anne Bright ran her club like a family,when you booked a cruise you called the club number, she knew who you were, you chatted, you booked and you felt appreciated . l remember one cruise l was travelling down with  another member in a Stretch Merc, we collected Anne, luggage in the boot and off we set from London to the Polygon. packed sandwiches and a bottle of fiz, for the club lunch, we were arriving early, too early for Annes liking and the order went out, round again driver. As an impressionable teenager,l was in the company of Royality !She gave out onboard credit and you were delighted with whatever she gave you and the world club gifts.Back then you felt appreciated and that was 1988 but times change. Cunards changed  >:(

Given how much Anne was admired and respected by her fans, it was ironic how she passed away.

Offline GJ

« Reply #38 on: Jul 17, 2017, 01:19 AM »
 Having spoken to  marie  ( mrs duffy ) it is her  wish that any one thinking of  sending condolences  or flowers could you please   Make a donation to THE ROYAL  SOCIETY FOR GUIDE DOGS FOR THE BLIND.    ,   JOHN JNR AND MARIE THANK EVERY ONE FOR THEIR KINDNESS    . 

Online Michael Gallagher

A message from John Duffy's wife and son
« Reply #39 on: Jul 17, 2017, 09:45 AM »
A message from John Duffy's wife and son:

John Duffy

Marie and Johnny Duffy would like to thank all of those Cunard passengers and crew members (both current and former) who have sent messages of love and support to them at this difficult time.
They have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of affection expressed for John, which has helped them deal with their grief as a result of his untimely passing.

Marie and Johnny hope that all will respect and appreciate their wish to hold a private family funeral for John.

It is the family's intention to arrange a memorial service to celebrate John's life at a later date.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 09:29 PM by Rob Lightbody »

John Brown's Shipyard "in with the bricks"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 69
Views: 22162
Last post Feb 19, 2017, 04:46 PM
by June Ingram
John Harman, son of Alistair Harman, Chief Engineer 84-5

Started by johnharmanBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 5
Views: 3161
Last post Jan 05, 2014, 08:36 PM