Author Topic: When visiting Kiel, Germany - QE2 Propeller  (Read 15867 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

When visiting Kiel, Germany - QE2 Propeller
« on: Jun 29, 2017, 12:09 PM »
If you are ever in Kiel you may want to go and see something unusual in a public garden area very close to where the cruise ships berth and the train station - one of the propellers removed from QE2 during the re-engining.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2018, 10:35 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

Re: When visiting Kiel
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2017, 05:46 PM »
How on earth did it get there..?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Amazing! Never heard of or seen that!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Thank you, Michael!
How good it is to find and see something very significant belonging to QE2 in a 'far-away-place'!
Just wondering(!) whether there are may other 'bits and pieces' which have been placed either officially,
or by 'accident' around the world... did something like this happen often outside the UK?,
Did it take a great deal of negotiation / translation - also, did the host city request it - pay for it's transport, etc...?
Wonder - is there a list of special 'placements', plaques etc...

So sorry for so many questions - and that's before we've even started  on the Captains' presentations on Maiden Calls, and Gifts etc...
(Will never forget seeing Three 6' Tuna being hoicked from the native long boat across onto QM2's pontoons at Pitcairn Is!)

Very best wishes,
Rosie

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2017, 11:58 PM »
Very interesting to know that a QE2 propeller is in Kiel.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2017, 07:13 AM »
If you are ever in Kiel you may want to go and see something unusual in a public garden area very close to where the cruise ships berth and the train station - one of the propellers removed from QE2 during the re-engining.

Wow, news to me!

Is there a plaque to tell people what ship it's from?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Last year I saw this article in a German magazine produced by Cunard (Cunard Queens) and asked a colleague to translate it for me. It tells about how Bernhard Berni Schweda saved it at the time and how it now lay on the east bank of the river behind a high rise building and had done since the 1990s. No signs point the way and no panel advises what it is.

I forgot about it to be honest.

Then in March this year I was disembarking Astor in Kiel and making my way to the train station when I saw this propeller and thought it looked good so took two pictures. I didn't even go and investigate it or touch it.

Then I came across the German article again this week and suddenly put 2 and 2 together and realised I had passed a propeller from QE2 and hadn't realised it.

The shame...
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 09:38 AM by Michael Gallagher »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Last year I saw this article in a German magazine produced by Cunard (Cunard Queens) and asked a colleague to translate it for me. It tells about how Bernhard Berni Schweda saved it at the time and how it now lay on the east bank of the river behind a high rise building and had done since the 1990s. No signs point the way and no panel advises what it is.

Would it not be a good idea for us to draw the attention of the local authorities to it, draw a parallel with the QE2 Mile in Southampton and ask them to put up a plaque so that passers-by can know what the propeller is and how it came to be there?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Would it not be a good idea for us to draw the attention of the local authorities to it, draw a parallel with the QE2 Mile in Southampton and ask them to put up a plaque so that passers-by can know what the propeller is and how it came to be there?

That sounds like a lovely QE2 Story idea.

We could potentially fund raise for a plaque?

There are a few google results for QE2 propellor Kiel, with a few more photos, but I can't find it on Google maps.  Michael, can you pinpoint it for us please?
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 09:11 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2017, 09:58 AM »
Last year I saw this article in a German magazine produced by Cunard (Cunard Queens)...

Michael, would you still have the article (in German) or its translation?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2017, 10:15 AM »
I included it in the above post and attach the PDF again here:

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2017, 04:54 PM »
I included it in the above post and attach the PDF again here:

Thank you, Michael. Would it be possible to know the precise source (name of the publication and its date)?

According to this article, the propeller was donated to the city of Kiel, so the authority to address would be the Mayor's Office. For this purpose, it would be good to be able to cite the publication in full if possible.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Rob

Just tried posting an image of a good map!
This is the link - I don't think it'll arrive as an image
https://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=14&mlat=54.3188261952895&mlon=10.1385140419006&mtext=cruise location &layers=BFTFFFTFFTT0TFT&lat=54.3188261952895&lon=10.1385140419006

And - here's a link to the Satellite version of the Google Map - cars are easily visible, and there are cafes, gardens etc - nothing big, round and shiny so far...:)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3151578,10.1453492,76m/data=!3m1!1e3
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 06:09 PM by Twynkle »

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2017, 06:20 PM »
The article says very clearly where it is :

Seit den 90er Jahren liegt sie jetzt am Ostufer hinter dem Hochhaus am Germania-Hafen, direkt an der Wasserkante.

Translated : Since the 1990s, it is situated on the Eastern shoreline, behind the skyscraper on the Germania Port, right at the waterfront.

This should make it easy to find, once you are in Kiel.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2017, 06:37 PM »
The article says very clearly where it is :

Translated : Since the 1990s, it is situated on the Eastern shoreline, behind the skyscraper on the Germania Port, right at the waterfront.

This should make it easy to find, once you are in Kiel.

It should be possible to find it on Google Maps Satellite view, unless its actually under a tree... which bit is Germania port though?

Hello from Germany

Started by HamburgerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 10
Views: 3906
Last post Mar 11, 2009, 09:17 PM
by KEV
Other websites reporting on QE2 Dubai (not visiting)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 0
Views: 418
Last post May 17, 2018, 11:18 AM
by Rob Lightbody
Visiting John Browns Clydebank in 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 548
Last post Apr 28, 2023, 01:19 AM
by Barumfox
QM2 visiting Guernsey

Started by shipnshoreBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 1521
Last post Sep 01, 2013, 08:40 AM
by shipnshore
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel - June 2022

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 37
Views: 2589
Last post Sep 16, 2022, 07:09 PM
by Thomas Hypher