Author Topic: QE2 Transatlantic crossing when Princess Diana died (31 August 1997)  (Read 201 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
We've been contacted today by a journalist with the following request.  Can you help?  It would be good to help him, at the same time as documenting here this important moment in history, which I don't believe has been discussed here previously.

I'm a journalist doing some research on a project marking the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana’s death, and it’s possible you’ll be able to help me. I’m aware that the QE2 was en route to New York when the news broke, and that crew and passengers held a one or two-minute silence. Is this something you know about, I wonder, or might be be able to refer me to anyone else? Ideally I’d like to track down anyone on board who may have interesting recollections from the time.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2017, 07:47 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Passionate about QE2 for 35 years.

Offline Michael Gallagher

In order to accommodate the demand from passengers for live coverage of Princess Diana’s funeral, QE2’s speed was reduced to 22 Knots on Saturday 6 September 1997 as the ship headed for Southampton from New York. After the funeral the speed was increased to 27 knots for the remainder of the voyage.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Michael - does that indicate that higher speeds significantly affected the quality of broadcast reception?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

Michael - does that indicate that higher speeds significantly affected the quality of broadcast reception?

Maybe the bandwidth?
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008.