Author Topic: What is everyone doing on the Thursday ?  (Read 3564 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: What is everyone doing on the Thursday ?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2017, 11:56 AM »
You really got me interested, Peter! But when I compared the price with a direct flight to Glasgow, I reluctantly decided to book the latter. But I shall keep it in mind for another occasion :) .

You need to book well in advance to get a good price on the Sleeper; unlike the rest of the railway which is on 3 months the Sleeper has a 12 month booking horizon and the pricing is quota controlled by yield management...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Running around like a headless chicken no doubt!!  :)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2017, 06:48 PM »
I have now booked my flight, which will land at Glasgow Airport (GLA) in the afternoon. Staying at the Premier Inn.

Happy to join anyone already around in the evening. It will be Equinox Day, so getting dark earlyish (but not yet on GMT, which would give an advantage of an extra hour's light in the evening)...
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2017, 09:04 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Pleased to hear you have booked the Flight and Premier Inn. Sunset will probably be around 7pm or 7.30 pm at that time of year in Glasgow.

Have some committee work to do during the day and then early evening. Will know more nearer the time, but looking forward to informal meet up with people.  The Crowne Plaza has more bar/lounge space than the Premier Inn but both are good hotels.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:37 PM »
... will be in Glasgow about 1-00

I've just bought our rail tickets :) We're due into Glasgow at 1412 :)

Offline Robbo

« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2017, 03:03 PM »
We arrive into Glasgow at 15.59 on the Thursday
Staying three nights at The Crowne Plaza

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Must say that I'm really looking forward to not only the event, but also the weekend in a whole. Lots of first for me, first time flying, first time going outside mainland Europe.

Looking really forward to driving around and taking pictures, I will be taking my laptop along just to offload all of the photos.

Bob,

As it's your first time in UK, in particular Scotland and in detail Glasgow, can i offer a tip for somewhere to visit?  Glasgow has a wonderful Transport Museum - it moved to be part of The Riverside Museum in 2011 - which has a section dedicated to Ship Building with a host of beautiful, scale models of ship that were built on The Clyde; HMS Hood, RMS Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth & of course 'our own' beloved QE2!

Entry is FREE, yes Scotsmen do really give things away despite the common held belief to the contrary! 

Apart from the Transport/Riverside Museum there are many other fine Museums and Galleries in Glasgow which i'm sure you'd find interesting and informative.  If not, then Glasgow itself is very historic and fascinating, i'm sure that how long or short a time you're there you'll find more than enough to occupy your time, and more!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #23 on: Aug 30, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Bit boring, driving up by car from Cumbria after dropping JIM at his home from home, hopefully arriving mid afternoon Thursday.
 Cannot wait actually :)

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Bob,

As it's your first time in UK, in particular Scotland and in detail Glasgow, can i offer a tip for somewhere to visit?  Glasgow has a wonderful Transport Museum - it moved to be part of The Riverside Museum in 2011 - which has a section dedicated to Ship Building with a host of beautiful, scale models of ship that were built on The Clyde; HMS Hood, RMS Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth & of course 'our own' beloved QE2!

Entry is FREE, yes Scotsmen do really give things away despite the common held belief to the contrary! 

Apart from the Transport/Riverside Museum there are many other fine Museums and Galleries in Glasgow which i'm sure you'd find interesting and informative.  If not, then Glasgow itself is very historic and fascinating, i'm sure that how long or short a time you're there you'll find more than enough to occupy your time, and more!

Thank you for the tip! I hope that I can get my mom along also to the Transport Museum, just looked on their website it is looks really like something I would love to see, but since it is both our trip, some fighting is needed over what we see  ;D  (apart from the conference, which is set  :) [size=78%])[/size][/size][size=78%].[/size]

I was planning to bring my camera along, and my laptop since I thing I need the extra disk space, I have been touring around the country side, and I'm so glad we rented a car, it's all so different that I'm used here. We also got the tip from a neighbour on our campsite to visit Edinburgh.
I'm getting the feeling the list is already getting way to long  :-[