Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Saga Ruby / Oasis in Alang  (Read 7195 times)

trevorc

Re: Saga Ruby / Oasis in Alang
« Reply #40 on: Aug 08, 2017, 03:05 AM »
Sorry to nitpick and be very pedantic, but if we look at things clinically and unsentimentally like Carnival's accountants do, she had major engine problems (failures with one of the gearboxes if I recall correctly) in the end with Saga. As a result she would not have gone many more miles as a seagoing ship without major amounts of money being thrown at her problems. I however agree, if done right (which unfortunately it wasn't), she could have been a very successful tied up hotel ship (powered via shore power) somewhere in the world. Also I agree it's such a waste of a piece of history let alone a great opportunity and she had lots of potential with years of service all be it in a different static role.

The above is irrespective to her SOLAS status which was up-to-date.

Thomas

Can't agree anymore. Even if a "Cunard Fanatic" bought her.. tried to restore/replicate her as the caronia..

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #41 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Sorry to nitpick and be very pedantic, but if we look at things clinically and unsentimentally like Carnival's accountants do, she had major engine problems (failures with one of the gearboxes if I recall correctly) in the end with Saga. As a result she would not have gone many more miles as a seagoing ship without major amounts of money being thrown at her problems. I however agree, if done right (which unfortunately it wasn't), she could have been a very successful tied up hotel ship (powered via shore power) somewhere in the world. Also I agree it's such a waste of a piece of history let alone a great opportunity and she had lots of potential with years of service all be it in a different static role.

The above is irrespective to her SOLAS status which was up-to-date.

Thomas

She was probably designed for a 25 year life so to get 40+ was pretty good going. I would be interesting to see what the engineers who designed and built her (if they are still alive) have to say.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #42 on: Aug 08, 2017, 09:08 AM »
She was probably designed for a 25 year life so to get 40+ was pretty good going. I would be interesting to see what the engineers who designed and built her (if they are still alive) have to say.

Just in case there is anybody out there who doesn't know, Vistafjord, which she was built as, was the last ocean liner/cruise ship to be built in the UK. She was built by Swan Hunter at their Neptune Yard on Tyneside in 1973. 

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #43 on: Aug 08, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Just in case there is anybody out there who doesn't know, Vistafjord, which she was built as, was the last ocean liner/cruise ship to be built in the UK. She was built by Swan Hunter at their Neptune Yard on Tyneside in 1973.

Which is probably why she lasted as long as she did. I always wondered how the various British yards product stacked up against each other.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #44 on: Aug 08, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Which is probably why she lasted as long as she did. I always wondered how the various British yards product stacked up against each other.

When i was on Vistafjord we had a 3rd Engineer who's father had been part of the work force that built her, he was only a 'tacker' back then but said he could remember going down to see her launched.

Sadly i can't remember his name though.

Offline Rod

« Reply #45 on: Aug 08, 2017, 04:54 PM »
damn nice ship! Great fun to sail on as a passenger. Yes busmans holiday!

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #46 on: Sep 04, 2017, 11:07 PM »
Just came across this sad picture on the Facebook Ship Breaking group:
(Image removed from quote.)
I know i'm late to the party but I just want to express how disgusted I am at this appalling disregard for Saga Ruby and her impact on maritime history; This genuinely pains me to see her go to the wreckers, she isn't like old Aquitania who was so corroded she was physically incapable of being saved, Ruby had years left to her, whether that had been as a hotel or cruise ship, but sadly Alang claims another victim.
Rest easy old girl.  :(

"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #47 on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Well said, Oceanic !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #48 on: Sep 07, 2017, 04:41 PM »
I know i'm late to the party but I just want to express how disgusted I am at this appalling disregard for Saga Ruby and her impact on maritime history; This genuinely pains me to see her go to the wreckers, she isn't like old Aquitania who was so corroded she was physically incapable of being saved, Ruby had years left to her, whether that had been as a hotel or cruise ship, but sadly Alang claims another victim.
Rest easy old girl.  :(

I think that you're letting emotions get in the way of hard facts - whatever you want to call her - Vistafjord/Caronia/Saga Ruby - she was at the end of her economical life, and had been heading that way for some years, even in her Cunard days she was 'old fashioned' and below decks was not a nice place to be, believe me!
Also, her engine/machinery spaces were in serious need of very expensive works, she had a few hundred tons of concrete put in her some years ago to make her comply with stability regulations in force at the time, why do you think she was re-flagged?
Her only storing door was so small that ALL pallets had to be broken down and loaded individually, box by box!!

I loved her as much as the next man/woman but, like a much loved pet that is suffering in it's old age, the kindest thing to do is, let it go and enjoy the many, many wonderful memories you had with it.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #49 on: Sep 07, 2017, 11:58 PM »
I think that you're letting emotions get in the way of hard facts - whatever you want to call her - Vistafjord/Caronia/Saga Ruby - she was at the end of her economical life, and had been heading that way for some years, even in her Cunard days she was 'old fashioned' and below decks was not a nice place to be, believe me!
Also, her engine/machinery spaces were in serious need of very expensive works, she had a few hundred tons of concrete put in her some years ago to make her comply with stability regulations in force at the time, why do you think she was re-flagged?
Her only storing door was so small that ALL pallets had to be broken down and loaded individually, box by box!!

I loved her as much as the next man/woman but, like a much loved pet that is suffering in it's old age, the kindest thing to do is, let it go and enjoy the many, many wonderful memories you had with it.
Oh I fully understand that she was at the end of her service life and the difficulty's that arise when trying to keep an antiquated piece of machinery like S.R operational, along with the costs involved due to working with vintage machinery all of my working life; Ruby was pulled, by Saga, from operations due to the ever rising expenses and I hold no grudge against them for doing so, it's basic business sense to cut off an aging and ailing asset, however I do have an issue with the people involved in the aborted hotel conversion plan. They bought an incredibly aged vessel with seemingly no forethought to the costs involved with the conversion and running of Ruby as a hotel, and after they had already replaced most of her furniture and presumably disposed of it, destroying historically valuable items, did they change their minds and scrap the entire ship. S.G's scrapping may have been unavoidable, it was a aged vessel with many issues, but that does NOT lend any credibility to the total disregard that was shown towards the ships many items that were discarded of, items that were of great craftsmanship and historical value and that should have been removed and sold on.   
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #50 on: Sep 08, 2017, 05:42 AM »
Also, to add to the above conversation, I believe the final act that made Saga sell her was the fact she had major engine problems in her last year or so of Saga service - just checked, on one of the occasions of a cancelled cruise (her last world cruise) one of her crankshafts failed or was faulty.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #51 on: Sep 08, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Oh I fully understand that she was at the end of her service life and the difficulty's that arise when trying to keep an antiquated piece of machinery like S.R operational, along with the costs involved due to working with vintage machinery all of my working life; Ruby was pulled, by Saga, from operations due to the ever rising expenses and I hold no grudge against them for doing so, it's basic business sense to cut off an aging and ailing asset, however I do have an issue with the people involved in the aborted hotel conversion plan. They bought an incredibly aged vessel with seemingly no forethought to the costs involved with the conversion and running of Ruby as a hotel, and after they had already replaced most of her furniture and presumably disposed of it, destroying historically valuable items, did they change their minds and scrap the entire ship. S.G's scrapping may have been unavoidable, it was a aged vessel with many issues, but that does NOT lend any credibility to the total disregard that was shown towards the ships many items that were discarded of, items that were of great craftsmanship and historical value and that should have been removed and sold on.

Your overlooking that ship's furniture is replaced on regular occasions due to changes in styles and fire regulations. When she was 'converted' from Vistafjord to Caronia in 1999 most of the old NAL style fixtures & fittings were removed and replaced with items more in keeping with the 'Cunardisation' of her.

trevorc

« Reply #52 on: Sep 08, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Your overlooking that ship's furniture is replaced on regular occasions due to changes in styles and fire regulations. When she was 'converted' from Vistafjord to Caronia in 1999 most of the old NAL style fixtures & fittings were removed and replaced with items more in keeping with the 'Cunardisation' of her.

You also can't use poilshed wood, right?

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #53 on: Sep 08, 2017, 05:36 PM »
You also can't use poilshed wood, right?

It depends on where and why,.

Bare wood, polished, would represent a fire hazard, or if it's on decks then it would/could constitute a slip hazard, then it's a big 'No, No'.

trevorc

« Reply #54 on: Sep 16, 2017, 02:42 AM »
Her funnel is undisturbed.. Photos credit to Vaja Nilesh

Offline pete cain

« Reply #55 on: Sep 16, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Why oh why oh why do I torture myself looking at these images....................

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #56 on: Sep 16, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Her funnel is undisturbed.. Photos credit to Vaja Nilesh

Oh no my cabin's gone!!!!

trevorc

« Reply #57 on: Sep 17, 2017, 02:15 AM »
I'm suprised that she didn't have a bulbous bow.l

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #58 on: Sep 17, 2017, 10:20 AM »
She was 'conceived' and built in the early 70s, long before bulbous bows were 'invented'.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #59 on: Sep 17, 2017, 11:04 AM »
She was 'conceived' and built in the early 70s, long before bulbous bows were 'invented'.

But QE2 was conceived in the 60s and has one!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.