Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Looking for John (Jack) Saunders, engineer in the 1970s  (Read 685 times)

Offline Joanne Saunders

Hello everyone

My grandfather was john Saunders and I believe he was chief engineer, he was also known as jack.
I just wondered if anyone knew him or had any photos of him?
It would mean so much to me
Thank you
Joanne

trevorc

Re: Any engineers or crew from when the QE2 first sailed?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2017, 01:48 AM »
Welcome to the QE2 Story forum, Joanne! I'd like to think someone here might know.

Best Regards,

Trevor

Offline Joanne Saunders

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2017, 03:48 AM »
Thank you Trevor. I'm so excited to hope that someone does to tell me about him, good or bad I don't mind ha ha

I lost my dad exactly a year ago he was my absolute hero and best friend and he would have loved to have known about his dad too. They both died aged 64 and both from cancer  :'(

So on a positive note I'm researching to find as much as I can.

So if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction you could make me a very very happy girl  :D

Thank you xx

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Sorry took the liberty!

Offline Rod

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2017, 03:46 PM »
First joined in 71 name is very familiar but not the face.

Offline Joanne Saunders

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Ha ha thank you. I'm still learning

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Hello Joanne, and you are very welcome here!

I always love it when we are able to find out more about a QE2 crew member or an episode in the life of the ship, so please stick around and keep digging :) .

We have a list of QE2 Chief Engineers, which may or may not be complete, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1990.msg26993.html#msg26993

As you can see, the Staff Chief Engineers (i.e. the deputies) are not listed, nor presumably are those who joined QE2 on short-term assignments. I am sure there is an answer waiting for your question...

Can you remember any of the stories that your grandfather told you about his life on board?

Would you have any photos showing him as a younger man?

Offline Joanne Saunders

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Hi Isabelle
You are all so lovely on this site I really appreciate all your help and support
Sadly when my grandfather died I was only 9 and he then lived with his sister in Bristol so never remained in southampton. So my only memories are birthday and xmas cards and I think I actually only met him a few times.
My dad wasn't close with him. So the only photos I have are the ones from his holiday in Canada.

So I thought joining this site I could try and hope that somebody somewhere knew him and could tell me about him even better if there were any pictures.  Because I lost my dad last year I'm trying to do this for him as well
In a way it makes me focus and comforts me

I shall take a look at the link you provided

Thank you again
Joanne

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Hi Joanne and welcome to The QE2 Story Forum.  We are very pleased that you have joined as this is the place to be for all things QE2.  The name John Saunders seems very familiar, almost as if I had run across it in one of the topics on The Forum.  Hopefully, you will be able to find out more information about your Grandfather.  I would very much like to hear more about your remembrances ! 

June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Joanne Saunders

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:14 AM »
Thank you so much June. I shall keep you informed, it's so exciting
So I should be looking through all the forums?
Sorry never been on one before xx

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Hi Joanne, welcome to the forum.

There is often information on the officers on the first daily programme of a cruise.  I checked the few programmes I have from the early 1970's and although I can see crew listed on one of them I could not see your grandfather's name. 

Another source where you sometimes see mention of crew are the world cruise books that were issued to passengers.  Again I have checked what I have for 1970's and 1980's but I do not have all the books. 

Maybe our forum members who have early QE2 collections could have a look to see what they can find. 

It would be good if you find someone who knew your grandfather. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Joanne Saunders

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 02:38 AM »
Thank you Linda for your help, I seem to be hitting a dead end. I will speak with my only uncle alive which is my grandfathers eldest, he may be more specific with dates etc, should have done that first!

Thank you again for looking
Jo
X

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Joanne, there may still be information that someone will come up with, but sometimes it takes time.  We will keep look and any other information that you uncle can provide will be useful.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com