Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Refit 2017  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Twynkle

Queen Victoria's Refit 2017
« on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Queen Victoria's Refit -
Here's a snapshot posted in Cruise Critic.
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7646

QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
Re: Queen Victoria's Refit 2017
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2017, 01:13 AM »
Does this mean Queen Victoria will lose the attractive rake to her stern decks?  :(
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Does this mean Queen Victoria will lose the attractive rake to her stern decks?  :(

Definitely, she will be exactly like Queen Elizabeth, with more cabins and larger open deck space.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2017, 08:07 AM »

*dislike*
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Thats the market today just fill those ships at all costs.And the crew hard working and underpaid

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Queen Victoria's Refit -
Here's a snapshot posted in Cruise Critic.
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7646

Amazing how they wring every last dollar out of the ships.  I presume the books were showing QV making less $ than QE due to the fewer cabins.  QE is a very rectangular ship.
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2017, 01:25 PM »
The rake to QV's stern at least gave her a distinctive look and set her off from the "floating flats".
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2017, 04:52 PM »
I think one of the things that made QV less popular than QE when she came into service was that QV did not have the Britannia Club restaurant.
Although the cabins are Britannia grade, the restaurant is open dining (turn up between 6:30 and 9pm) and you had your own allocated table for breakfast and lunch - it is actually a very economical version of the Princess Grill. We have done the Club cabins on QE a couple of times and would recommend it. I'm glad QV is introducing this (even though it will be at the expense of the end of the Chart Room bar which I also really liked but you can't have everything I suppose).

On the subject of the rake of the stern . . we were invited to a small gathering in one of QVs Queens Grill suites which was at the stern just under the public open deck. To say there was little privacy when you stepped out towards the rail was an understatement. Handy for having a conversation with those above if you wanted though! It was also very obvious that the balconies below were overlooked by those above.
That was obviously (to my mind anyway) taken into account on QE with the near-vertical stern.

Cruise ships are built these days to meet the requirements of passengers who really want their own private balcony space, hence the reason it is difficult to get away from the floating-block-of-flats look. Stephen Payne mentions this when he designed QM2, but he did a really good job of keeping her reasonably recognisable as a magnificent ship.

Perhaps not as pleasing to look at, but rather more practical for folks who have booked these cabins I think.

QE2 keeps her sleek yacht-like appearance because she was built at a time that allowed her to be built like a traditional ship because passengers hadn't even thought about demanding their own balconies! She was built for a purpose and that was to cross the Atlantic safely and cruise in comfort and not look like a tower block on its holidays!

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 04:54 PM by Pete Hamill »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Wondering if this is a design fault, and how many of the other style of these ships have gone and done the same after they were built, Or is it just simply Carnival are hell bent on making $$ from every space.
Are they still giving away OBC with every booking ?
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 08:47 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2017, 05:56 PM »
It is actually a very economical version of the Princess Grill.

I've been in both BC and PG on QE. The only similarity we found was that they are both open dining - you have your own table and eat at a time that suits you. With PG you get things like the Grills Bar, deck, the outside eating area and a much greater menu with meals that can be specially prepared. With the cabins you don't just get a larger cabin but faster water flow in the shower, more space in the bathroom and touches like a fruit bowl that makes it feel more luxurious.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Malcolm, yes of course you get the other perks - but at a premium. I personally don't like sitting in the baking sun, so the private deck isn't much use to me (although the wife likes it). The grills lounge is great, but isn't a deal breaker if I don't have it. As for the Courtyard, personally I have used it, but often it is too hot, too cold, too wet to be of practical use. For me, the open dining with the much less rushed atmosphere is the main attraction and that comes at a much reduced fare to PG or QG.
Perhaps I should have made that a bit clearer in my post - I knew what I was thinking!

Having said that, our next cruise is a PG on Queen Elizabeth - based on paying the Club fare with complimentary upgrade.
The Grills experience is well worth a go under any circumstances. It is different. Worth saving up for - but Club fills the gap based on our requirements.

The best experience ever was QG Penthouse on QE2 - now that WAS different.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2017, 12:02 PM »
... at a premium.

I've said about our US travel agent - she was very effective at getting us PG for less than BC in the UK!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2017, 02:03 PM »
"As a matter of interest", Malcolm
Is it possible to have all your meals (inc Breakfast, and Lunch) in the Britannia Club Dining room -
 and like QE2's Caronia, is it open seating other than for Dinner?
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for very nearly  whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Twynkle, it's your table for all meals in the Britannia Club. That's another attraction.

Caronia on QE2 was the same. Breakfast and lunch at your own table.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:55 AM »
"As a matter of interest", Malcolm
Is it possible to have all your meals (inc Breakfast, and Lunch) in the Britannia Club Dining room -
 and like QE2's Caronia, is it open seating other than for Dinner?

Yep :)

If you think Caronia but smaller then you've got it.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2017, 05:34 AM »
I think one of the things that made QV less popular than QE when she came into service was that QV did not have the Britannia Club restaurant.
Although the cabins are Britannia grade, the restaurant is open dining (turn up between 6:30 and 9pm) and you had your own allocated table for breakfast and lunch - it is actually a very economical version of the Princess Grill. We have done the Club cabins on QE a couple of times and would recommend it. I'm glad QV is introducing this (even though it will be at the expense of the end of the Chart Room bar which I also really liked but you can't have everything I suppose).

On the subject of the rake of the stern . . we were invited to a small gathering in one of QVs Queens Grill suites which was at the stern just under the public open deck. To say there was little privacy when you stepped out towards the rail was an understatement. Handy for having a conversation with those above if you wanted though! It was also very obvious that the balconies below were overlooked by those above.
That was obviously (to my mind anyway) taken into account on QE with the near-vertical stern.

Cruise ships are built these days to meet the requirements of passengers who really want their own private balcony space, hence the reason it is difficult to get away from the floating-block-of-flats look. Stephen Payne mentions this when he designed QM2, but he did a really good job of keeping her reasonably recognisable as a magnificent ship.

Perhaps not as pleasing to look at, but rather more practical for folks who have booked these cabins I think.

QE2 keeps her sleek yacht-like appearance because she was built at a time that allowed her to be built like a traditional ship because passengers hadn't even thought about demanding their own balconies! She was built for a purpose and that was to cross the Atlantic safely and cruise in comfort and not look like a tower block on its holidays!

The rake always was a double-edged sword. It was a lovely double-edged sword externally, however. Thankfully, I still think the Vista-class design is attractive as far as modern ships go. The only improvement I would add is that the bow needs to be longer.
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 09:08 AM »
An interesting time-lapse of the refit:

Offline Oceanic

• Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
  • -Long time QE2 fan and follower.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 05:12 PM »
An interesting time-lapse of the refit:

What a shame she now has lost her iconic raked stern, you could draw a less boxy ship on an Etch Sketch, then again, if Cunard see's a increase in profit it was atleast worth their time.
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Oh... My... God...  :o
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 12:05 AM »
Thankfully, it was possible to take some photos of The Lovely Chart Room, and Cafe Carinthia just before disembarking last Friday.There were hardly any people left on board - All were due off the ship by 09.00hrs at the very latest, and she sailed for the Fincantieri Yard in Palermo with contractors and empty containers on board before she left.
At least, QV will have a Yacht Club too when she's been 'given a pretty traumatic make-over'
Have to say that we met many passengers who were very unhappy about the reconfiguration of her backside.

The atmosphere on QV is about as near as I think there will ever be (on any other Cunarder) to that on board QE2.
A great welcome and sense of warmth is extended at all levels to their ever growing number of followers, by the crew and hotel staff.
Now, many stewards, as well as waiters from QE2 are working on board - some for nearly 30 years with Cunard, and my word, how it shows!
The quality of service, even at the end of her worldie was second to none.
We called at Port Canaveral - the visit to Kennedy Space Centre (NASA) comes highly recommended. And - for our first experience of a balcony, sleeping out was extra special too!
Her current Captain Philips is due to move to take command of Queen Mary 2 in late July, early August.

More about the Refit here
http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-victoria/refit-for-a-queen/

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:22 AM by Twynkle »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Bit off topic here, but find myself wondering if folk will be as gutted when the time comes for thes babes , to be re-cycled,cannot see it somehow,with Ruby now gone our girl being ripped apart , the time for the 'classics' like the dinasaurs (includes me) is over..

Offline dellboy

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Perhaps for the Queen Mary 2 but for the others well there's always another vista class cruise ship

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Bit off topic here, but find myself wondering if folk will be as gutted when the time comes for thes babes , to be re-cycled,cannot see it somehow,with Ruby now gone our girl being ripped apart , the time for the 'classics' like the dinasaurs (includes me) is over.. 

Ahh..The Old Queen is Dead.....How long will the new Queens live...
Do we seriously expect the new things to last, lm sure if we scraped away we would find a best before or use by date etched on the hull somewhere.

the time for the 'classics' like the dinasaurs (includes me) is over.. 
Ah but with classics they have a style and panache that is unique to them(Pete ,dare l even say us)
The new Glitterati (and l hesitate to use that word) are , as they say fur coat and no knickers.
While perhaps the good old days have gone, they are still some might say, maybe not as good, but for a whole load more. 

Look how quickly the fuss died down when the name of "Hamilton" was remastered ::) ::) on the hull, (im guessing Cunard dont use the phrase painted over these days), throw in some extra onboard credit and no one cares. History but at what price.And lets face it, does anyone care what the rear end of a Queen lookes like these days.

Im reminded of a friends advice who lifes in Las Vegas, "Money Dear Myles speaks volumes in Lost Wages Las Vegas"..you know what its true..
Mine just says Goodbye :o
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:29 PM by cunardqueen »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Now, unfortunately, QV's backside looks a bit like a Mississippi River boat, sigh....
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Oceanic

• Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
  • -Long time QE2 fan and follower.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Now, unfortunately, QV's backside looks a bit like a Mississippi River boat, sigh....
Looks about as elegant and prestigious as a Baboons backside... Actually, no that is an insult to Baboons.
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38 AM »
This is such a shame - of course QV was never a classic liner shape but I always thought her profile suited the Cunard livery and I actually think the Vista design is the more pleasing of the current cruise ship flock! I love QV's Commodore Club - that panoramic view is just amazing.

Her Vista Sista QE has never really "did it" for me as there is too much atop the bridge and also that stern profile is just rank. I am sure shes nice inside of course!

Heres a couple of QV in original configuration.

1st - view from the stern as we come off the berth at Monaco in 2010
2nd - on the berth at Gibraltar 2010
3rd - leaving Greenock 2014

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:41 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57 PM »

It was never that good looking to begin with! ;D

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I must say that compared to the other cruise ships around these days that I have always liked the QV's profile.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15 PM »

I agree. Seriously.
Forum Member since March 3rd, 2017

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 05:39 PM »
compared to the other cruise ships around these days

And

Are not mutually exclusive!

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Oh... My... God...  :o
Peter, that was what I exactly said when I say that. Oml.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #31 on: Jul 24, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Looks like items and artifacts from the Queen Victoria leftover from the refit are now up for auction.
Several items include Ocean Liner paintings and the signs to the Commodore Club.

https://cunardauction.com/lite-ui/#home
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Jul 24, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Looks like items and artifacts from the Queen Victoria leftover from the refit are now up for auction.
Several items include Ocean Liner paintings and the signs to the Commodore Club.

Interesting!  I have to say, brutally honestly, most of it looks like its come from a fairly cheap old person's home...
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #33 on: Jul 24, 2017, 07:36 PM »

I'd like to have that Rita Hayworth picture.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #34 on: Jul 24, 2017, 07:38 PM »

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #35 on: Jul 24, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Interesting!  I have to say, brutally honestly, most of it looks like its come from a fairly cheap old person's home...
Have to agree with you, Rob! The ocean liner paintings were one of the only things that caught my eye!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #36 on: Jul 25, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Looking at the bids some people must have more money than sense
I am proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #37 on: Jul 25, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Looking at the bids some people must have more money than sense
LOL

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: Jul 25, 2017, 06:45 PM »
One of QE2s Throne chairs from the Queens Room lm sure would fetch more money than the rest of this expensive shite faux tat thats up for sale.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #39 on: Jul 25, 2017, 09:43 PM »
One of QE2s Throne chairs from the Queens Room lm sure would fetch more money than the rest of this expensive shite faux tat thats up for sale.

Myles, oml that made my day.

3D Queen Mary "model" on Google Earth / Google Maps

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 495
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 08:25 PM
by cunardqueen
A very different "Vista" Queen...

Started by Chris FrameBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 13
Views: 5433
Last post Oct 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
by Magic Pipe
"Kissed by a Queen"!

Started by Andy HollowayBoard The 2000s

Replies: 2
Views: 108
Last post Jul 30, 2017, 06:43 PM
by Brandon Sterkel
Vote for the "best" Queen

Started by Bob C.Board Cunard