Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens  (Read 36984 times)

Offline Andy F

Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #140 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:47 AM »
and...

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Andy F

« Reply #141 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:51 AM »
QUEEN ELIZABETH 2   TRIUMPH OF A GREAT TRADITION   1969 - 2008

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #142 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Hmm - did you hear any one asking what the message was?
Hope so ;)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #143 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Hmm - did you hear any one asking what the message was? Hope so ;)
Nope!

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #144 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:14 PM »
As H M  Queen Elizabeth has today completed 60 years on the throne, did you know that the bust of her, that was in the Queens room,  was originally green copper and was painted gold in 1987 during Q E 2's re-engining. The bust is  by Oscar Newman,  and the Queen had seven sittings with the sculptor.  During her pre Maiden Voyage visit to Q E 2 on 1 May 1968, Her Majesty told of how each time Newon had been dissatisfied with his work he simply wrenched her head off !  
Barrie Evans
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 01:49 PM by Lynda »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #145 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Barrie
Have a look at approx Post # 100 onwards here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2378.msg28148.html#msg28148
There's more on the Forum about the bust of HM The Queen, and will have another look soon
(To Mods -  this probably needs to be moved!)
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 11:27 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #146 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Barrie
Have a look at approx Post # 100 onwards here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2378.msg28148.html#msg28148
There's more on the Forum about the bust of HM The Queen, and will have another look soon
(To Mods -  this probably needs to be moved!)
Good morning Rosie ;D Thank you for directing me to the link for H M The Queen. Rosie, you have got to be "The Encylopedia of Britannica" of the Q E 2 with all your knowledge about her. I joined the forum last year, but as you can see that i have not read all passed posts, thus ive made some  that have already been posted. :-[ There is so much to read ,but  i seem to get side tracked, and i dont go back far enough to see if any one has already made a post on the same subject ???

Barrie  

P S  Lynda should i of posted the above post in the Virtual chart room?
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 10:02 AM by Barrie Evans »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #147 on: Feb 07, 2012, 01:57 PM »
As H M  Queen Elizabeth has today completed 60 years on the throne, did you know that the bust of her, that was in the Queens room,  was originally green copper and was painted gold in 1987 during Q E 2's re-engining. The bust is  by Oscar Newman,  and the Queen had seven sittings with the sculptor.  During her pre Maiden Voyage visit to Q E 2 on 1 May 1968, Her Majesty told of how each time Newon had been dissatisfied with his work he simply wrenched her head off !  
Barrie Evans

The Queen's bust which is now on the new Queen Elizabeth will not only remind people of the QE2 but also that this is a special year for Queen Ellizabeth II who is celebrating her diamond jubilee year.  The QE2 presence will be stronger as we remember the celebrations onboard QE2 for the Queen's other jubilee years. 
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 01:59 PM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline CAP

« Reply #148 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 PM »
At the starboard entrance to the Commodore Club aboard Queen Victoria there is what appears to be a builder's model of QE2.  The model shows her in the traditional Cunard livery, company coloured funnel, black hull. Given some of the model's details it is clear to see she is in her in steamship days.

Interestingly though, the small plaque next to the case stated the model was donated by Princess Cruises!  It does prompt the question why would Princess have a model of a QE2 steamship?
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012, 09:05 PM by CAP »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #149 on: Nov 27, 2012, 12:23 AM »
Ah, the Plasticine Queen as Ian McNaught often referred to it

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #150 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:40 AM »
At the starboard entrance to the Commodore Club aboard Queen Victoria there is what appears to be a builder's model of QE2.  The model shows her in the traditional Cunard livery, company coloured funnel, black hull. Given some of the model's details it is clear to see she is in her in steamship days.

Here it is. Beautiful one.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012, 07:42 AM by QE2forever »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #151 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:46 AM »
It is a lovely model.  Every time we were going into the Commodore Club on QV we always used the starboard entrance so we could stop and admire the model of QE2.  It always brought back lovely memories of the ship.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #152 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Interestingly though, the small plaque next to the case stated the model was donated by Princess Cruises!  It does prompt the question why would Princess have a model of a QE2 steamship?

Cunard was under the Princess cruise division for a while... presumably that's it?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #153 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Here it is. Beautiful one.
That reminds me! I must take an extra large case when we next sail on the Queen Victoria

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
QE2 presence on Queen Victoria
« Reply #154 on: Aug 28, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Is there a reason or a theory as to why QV has become "the happy ship" and most like our beloved QE2 in terms of graciousness and warmth ?

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Twynkle

Re: QE2 presence on Queen Victoria
« Reply #155 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Is there a reason or a theory as to why QV has become "the happy ship" and most like our beloved QE2 in terms of graciousness and warmth ?

Hi June
Maybe it's because QV has a large contingent of QE2's Officers and crew including shoppies etc from QE2 - and she isn't as big as Mighty Mary! She usually has many passengers on board who still talk about QE2 with great affection...
On the Worldie, we invited everyone on board to come to a QE2 gathering, 75+ came and talked about their QE2  experiences, the Officers were incredibly funny, the Head Chef bought Caviar and Champagne ("Because Of QE2") and the crew members added their memories too - and the passengers as well!
Rosie
(Mods - These last two posts really need to be moved to QV's topic - sorry, I should have done it first...)!)
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2014, 08:11 PM by Twynkle »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2 presence on Queen Victoria
« Reply #156 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Hi Rosie -

Thank you very much for your reply and explanations, which I do appreciate very much.  QV does sound very nice, and I hope I have the opportunity to cruise in her someday and have a chance to share my love of our beloved QE2 with those there and hear from them in person.  The QE2 gathering on the world cruise must have been wonderful ! 

Thanks again !

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #157 on: Sep 08, 2014, 07:18 AM »

Hi June
Maybe it's because QV has a large contingent of QE2's Officers and crew including shoppies etc from QE2 - and she isn't as big as Mighty Mary! She usually has many passengers on board who still talk about QE2 with great affection...
On the Worldie, we invited everyone on board to come to a QE2 gathering, 75+ came and talked about their QE2  experiences, the Officers were incredibly funny, the Head Chef bought Caviar and Champagne ("Because Of QE2") and the crew members added their memories too - and the passengers as well!
Rosie
(Mods - These last two posts really need to be moved to QV's topic - sorry, I should have done it first...)!)

My aunt's parents (and everybody else) told me there's been a step down in service since Carnival took over. To be honest, I can't imagine how good the service was in 1998. The attention we were given was more than we've ever gotten. But maybe we are just easy to please. One of the crew (I think he was the head waiter?) told us how much more steady the QM2 is, but that he likes the QE better due to the decor. He's been with the company for 28 years.
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #158 on: Oct 29, 2017, 04:47 PM »
So the cat is out of the bag!

From QE2: the silver model from the Midships Lobby; the Royal Standard from the Queens Room; the bell from Three Deck; the Bust of HM The Queen from the Queens Room and her Builder's Plate from the Wardroom.

But one other item was removed from QE2 but that's not headed for Queen Elizabeth. That's going to ???

and
I think we should all remember that in life "There are more questions than answers". Or there are "questions that will not be answered"!

'How time flies' - as well as whatever item it was that has left QE2 and is now who knows where ???
Definitely, the mystery item can't have been davits, teak railings, tenders, lifeboats and rapid response craft -
and, because most questions can be asked,  is this still one that 'won't / will not - or cannot even, be answered'?
(I promise this will be moved to another topic, as soon as it's appropriate!)

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2017, 06:58 PM by Twynkle »