Author Topic: QE2 Al Shafa Construction Handover August 2017  (Read 12130 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: QE2 Al Shafa Construction Handover August 2017
« Reply #45 on: Sep 09, 2017, 03:27 AM »
If I'm right in saying the reason the pool was removed was because of Dubai's strict religious rules on not wearing much in public, not least the dusty/sandy conditions that would potentially hinder use of the outside pool and Jacuzzis.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #46 on: Sep 09, 2017, 03:56 AM »
If I'm right in saying the reason the pool was removed was because of Dubai's strict religious rules on not wearing much in public, not least the dusty/sandy conditions that would potentially hinder use of the outside pool and Jacuzzis.
Was wondering why the pool was removed. It is interesting that they removed it in a city that reaches up to 120 degrees.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #47 on: Sep 09, 2017, 04:34 AM »
Was wondering why the pool was removed. It is interesting that they removed it in a city that reaches up to 120 degrees.
A combination of sand, dust and grit would deter anyone from using a outside pool there. Best to use a indoor one. I also would not recommend another situation where there is a magarodome..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Sep 09, 2017, 05:10 AM »
Brandon - I thought you were talking about over boiling point temperatures at first :P Then I remembered your using Degrees Fahrenheit instead of Degrees Celsius we use here in the UK.

Trevor - Another Magrodome doesn't seem to feature in their plans, thank goodness! They seem to not want her to have any outside pools for the reasons already mentioned. Wonder if they'll keep the indoor pools on Seven Deck (not Deck Seven, as called on QM2 - Seven Deck has a better ring to it in my opinion) given their strict religious laws?.

Anyway, sorry if I'm going more and more off topic!

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #49 on: Sep 09, 2017, 05:13 AM »
I probably should have mentioned Degrees Fahrenheit!

Online Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #50 on: Sep 09, 2017, 05:59 AM »
And so it begins (or is in full effect).  Piece by agonizing piece she will be transformed and become less of what she was - a glorious ship and historic icon - to become more of a mere backdrop to some business' bottom line.  Very sad.  She should have been scrapped in 2009; the mourning would well be over by now and it would certainly have been a much more dignified end.

My opinion too over all these years

Online Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #51 on: Sep 09, 2017, 06:02 AM »

The removal of the pool has nothing to do with religious,it was removed because it does not fit in the concept.I have said here before deck space is needed.

The indoor will not be removed

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #52 on: Sep 09, 2017, 07:37 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I asked Captain Cooper (2009 to end 2012) if he'd ever been tempted to fix the pool for themselves to use.

He said yes, once they'd got everything else under control, they looked into it, but by then all the pipework had rotted, and it was too big a job to fix it. 

There's no doubt it is much cheaper and easier to board it over (hopefully the tank is still below...) and then cheaper going forward too.  They could have taken the SS Rotterdam route (turned it into a paddling pool, but at least it would look right in photos) but if they'd actually restored it, that would also mean people using it - which means changing rooms etc.  My mental vision for Hotel QE2 had the Gym/Spa in the former Lido, which was because the pool was close by, that made sense to me.  All the decks above could be used for outdoor events.

So I'm upset its gone - I loved that pool - and its another way in which she doesn't look right now BUT I'm trying to keep an open mind - there's no doubting thats a cracking big bit of open deck space now to hold any sort of event on.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #53 on: Sep 10, 2017, 03:29 AM »
The removal of the pool has nothing to do with religious,it was removed because it does not fit in the concept.I have said here before deck space is needed.

The indoor will not be removed
Good. I don't see a pool coming outside.. way too hot in Dubai..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #54 on: Sep 10, 2017, 05:18 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, I asked Captain Cooper (2009 to end 2012) if he'd ever been tempted to fix the pool for themselves to use.

He said yes, once they'd got everything else under control, they looked into it, but by then all the pipework had rotted, and it was too big a job to fix it. 

There's no doubt it is much cheaper and easier to board it over (hopefully the tank is still below...) and then cheaper going forward too.  They could have taken the SS Rotterdam route (turned it into a paddling pool, but at least it would look right in photos) but if they'd actually restored it, that would also mean people using it - which means changing rooms etc.  My mental vision for Hotel QE2 had the Gym/Spa in the former Lido, which was because the pool was close by, that made sense to me.  All the decks above could be used for outdoor events.

So I'm upset its gone - I loved that pool - and its another way in which she doesn't look right now BUT I'm trying to keep an open mind - there's no doubting thats a cracking big bit of open deck space now to hold any sort of event on.
Very interesting, yet sad information regarding the pool.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #55 on: Sep 10, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Good. I don't see a pool coming outside.. way too hot in Dubai..

Hmm, not too sure I agree with that!  Lots of silly Brits spend a lot of time by/in/on the water in Dubai - that's why they go.  At the height of summer, yes it crazy hot, but some of the rest of the year is very pleasant.  I was in Majorca earlier this year and it got to 34C most days - and either you could stay stuck inside with the AC on or.... you could wallow pleasantly in the pool (which I did for hours at a time!).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #56 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08:30 PM »
She should have been scrapped in 2009

Agreed. Whilst a beach at Alang is not the most dignified way to go it does give resolution :)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #57 on: Sep 10, 2017, 11:05 PM »
And the August date mentioned for the handover has come and gone..and where are we...
As is to be expected ...none further ahead... should we be surprised..No we shouldnt be
Thanks Louis for the Video... Clearly they have spare no expense in its production  ::).  As we know absolutely nothing of what is being done or has been done.
Should we be clapping our hands at the progress of the removal of the pool...all this time and thats what they are showing .
They can build skyscrapers in a record time, but QE2 and whatever they are trying to do is for whatever reason(s) taking an eternity. 

They have an ideal chance with QE2 turning 50 for a great piece of Public Realtions...or are they simpy going to miss the boat with that.

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #58 on: Sep 10, 2017, 11:33 PM »
And the August date mentioned for the handover has come and gone..and where are we...
As is to be expected ...none further ahead... should we be surprised..No we shouldnt be
Thanks Louis for the Video... Clearly they have spare no expense in its production  ::).  As we know absolutely nothing of what is being done or has been done.
Should we be clapping our hands at the progress of the removal of the pool...all this time and thats what they are showing .
They can build skyscrapers in a record time, but QE2 and whatever they are trying to do is for whatever reason(s) taking an eternity. 

They have an ideal chance with QE2 turning 50 for a great piece of Public Realtions...or are they simpy going to miss the boat with that.

To be fair on the Dubai owners, and as Davina has stated multiple times, Al Shafa are a sub-contractor on the overall project and just completed their part of it. The other sub-contractors etc. are still very much at work and work overall is far from finished (particularly with the plans for the shoreside lift and permanent gangway to the Midships Lobby that haven't even started construction yet as far as can be told from photos).

We're looking at Hotel QE2 opening late next year or more likely during 2019.

Thomas

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #59 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:36 AM »
Hmm, not too sure I agree with that!  Lots of silly Brits spend a lot of time by/in/on the water in Dubai - that's why they go.  At the height of summer, yes it crazy hot, but some of the rest of the year is very pleasant.  I was in Majorca earlier this year and it got to 34C most days - and either you could stay stuck inside with the AC on or.... you could wallow pleasantly in the pool (which I did for hours at a time!).

34 deg C - Just a normal summers day in the Western Suburbs of Sydney Australia ;-)

2016 Archive - August photo competition : Power (closing 31 August 2015)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 2
Views: 1887
Last post Aug 16, 2015, 10:16 AM
by Lynda Bradford
August 2019 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 778
Last post Aug 31, 2019, 06:43 PM
by Lynda Bradford
July 2017 -- QE2 crew having fun

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 9
Views: 2540
Last post Jul 10, 2017, 02:03 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Mysterious B & Q Deck dismantling during construction

Started by Bob C.Board QE2 Build

Replies: 2
Views: 4134
Last post Mar 24, 2009, 11:24 PM
by KEV
First QE2 trip (11th to the 17th August 2003)

Started by Thomas HypherBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 39
Views: 6724
Last post Mar 29, 2022, 06:49 PM
by June Ingram