Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth deployed to Australia for two months 2019  (Read 2901 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Elizabeth deployed to Australia for two months 2019
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2017, 10:37 AM »
New member Gary Higgins is cruising on Queen Elizabeth in February 2019 from Fremantle and he wants to know if there are wheelchairs and baby pushers onboard to hire.  I have directed him to the Cunard FAQ page on wheelchairs where they answer:

"Whilst there will be wheelchairs available for use, these can only be requested once on board and are given out on a first come first serve basis."

Cunard also mention a wheelchair service "Mobility at Sea"  but I think this is only for passengers departing from Southampton. 

Does anyone have information on wheelchairs and baby pushers for hire on Cunard ships and/or a mobility wheelchair hire service from Fremantle?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2017, 11:13 AM »
New member Gary Higgins is cruising on Queen Elizabeth in February 2019 from Fremantle and he wants to know if there are wheelchairs and baby pushers onboard to hire.  I have directed him to the Cunard FAQ page on wheelchairs where they answer:

"Whilst there will be wheelchairs available for use, these can only be requested once on board and are given out on a first come first serve basis."

Cunard also mention a wheelchair service "Mobility at Sea"  but I think this is only for passengers departing from Southampton. 

Does anyone have information on wheelchairs and baby pushers for hire on Cunard ships and/or a mobility wheelchair hire service from Fremantle?

I'd advise him to join and post on cruise critic, they seem to have lots of advice on that sort of thing.  In fact I think they have a port by port guide?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:51 PM »

I think that you'll find that the onboard wheelchairs are for temporary use only and not for hire. If you needed one for the whole cruise then that would have to be organised through your travel agent with a company that rents out wheelchairs, most 'joining' ports have these companies. They will deliver the wheelchair to the ship as near before your embarkation and collect either when you get back to that port for disembarkation or as convenient.
As Security Officer i was always ' the one' to collect and deliver the motorised wheelchairs to the specific cabin when they were delivered. It's great fun 'driving' them around the ship, especially when the ship is in between passengers!!!

Baby buggies will be completely different, but best to check with Cunard and/or Travel Agent.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 01:31 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2017, 02:36 PM »
....It's great fun 'driving' them around the ship, especially when the ship is in between passengers!!!

As an 'aside', and Sssh! 8)
in the early 2000's, a few who shall remain 'anon' used to "borrow" parked battery driven 4-wheel vehicles and race each other in parallel along the cabin decks after the 20-24hr night watches!
"Who was driving the ship?" was never asked in this confidential conversation!!
No prizes for guessing which ship - she was Ours!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 02:38 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Hi Lynda,
There are Mobility equipment and Aids in Fremantle as well as in Perth.
I have a friend who repairs electric wheelchairs etc in Perth WA - if Gary Higgins would like to send me a pm with his email address, and further details regarding age (adult or child) of wheelchair user, it may be possible to put them in touch directly.

He may already know about hire in Perth WA
http://www.medihireandsales.com
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2017, 02:49 PM by Twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2017, 09:10 PM »
  Report in Seatrade that Cunard to Deploy Queen Elizabeth in Australia for two months between February and April in 2019   

Given her slow speeds, what is this for a one way crossing from Perth to Sydney... ;) ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Given her slow speeds, what is this for a one way crossing from Perth to Sydney...

And, given the current practice for cruise ships to dawdle and spend as much time at sea between ports as possible, it will probably take her 2 months. Just in time to reposition again.

We traveled as pax on Queen Victoria from Sydney~Brisbane back in 2013 and it took 2 days. (I used to drive Sydney~Brisbane in 11 hours, and that was before the revamped Pacific Highway).
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 02:38 PM by Boris »

Offline CAP

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Report in Seatrade that Cunard to Deploy Queen Elizabeth in Australia for two months between February and April in 2019

Following the Australian deployment, QE will spend time in Japan where she will be doing a full circumnavigation of the islands after which she is Alaska bound where she willl undertake a series of 10 day voyages from Vancouver before returning to the UK.

In all the ship will be away from UK shores for nearly eight months.  This extended period has had a knock-on effect to Queen Victoria’s Mediterranean fly-cruise deployment, now being considerably reduced so as to keep the Southampton cruises going.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:40 PM »
QE going to Australia - best get extra store rooms identified now, you'll need them for all the extra beer and meat pies the Aussies eat and drink!

Written with experience, by a former Security Officer on Pacific Sun!!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:53 PM »
2 months in Australia!

Chris Frame will be exhausted at the end of that!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline CAP

« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Cunard has announced a further deployment of Queen Elizabeth to Australia from December 2019.

The Queen Elizabeth will sail on six roundtrip cruises from Melbourne and two from Sydney during the season, which will feature an array of itineraries to South Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea between December 2019 and March 2020.

The new 2020 Australian deployment will be almost double the length of Queen Elizabeth’s scheduled 54-day season Down Under early next year, which will see the ship sailing from Sydney and Melbourne during February-March 2019, according to a statement.

TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 3486
Last post Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
by 3QueensGirl
QE2 Launch - Celebration on Queen Mary

Started by CAPBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 1
Views: 2129
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Mary 2 - Twenty Years

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 3
Views: 544
Last post Mar 27, 2023, 03:39 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 19765
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
3D Queen Mary "model" on Google Earth / Google Maps

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 3165
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 08:25 PM
by cunardqueen