Author Topic: Surplus items.  (Read 2485 times)

Online Andy Holloway

Surplus items.
« on: Aug 05, 2017, 11:22 AM »
As promised here are some photos of the first of my 'Surplus Items' that will be available to purchase at Glasgow this Sept.

Apologies to anyone not able to attend but, due to circumstances, these items will ONLY be available on the day and at the event.

Item No. 1;  A Crew T Shirts from the 2001 Dry Dock in Bremmerhaven. New and still in it's bag, this is in size Large.

Item no. 2; A cloth sew on badge, i've no idea where this came from!

Item No. 3; A novelty key ring, with a 'sliding' QE2 model inside.  I've put 3 pictures on to show both sides and, the faxt it 'sails' from S'ton to NY!

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Surplus items.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Thanks for adding these photos of the items Graham, I hope forum members are interested.  It is very generous of you to offer the proceeds of anything sold to go to the QE2 conference funds. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Andy Holloway

Surplus items.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Another items for 'sale' at the Glasgow Celebration event.

"QE2. A celebration of Forty Years of Service."

These were produced by Southampton Daily Echo in a limited edition and this one is numbered 1752, original price was £15.

This is how the Daily Echo marketed it in 2007. 

FOR decades she has been a familiar sight on the Southampton waterfront but now her days on the oceans are numbered as liner Queen Elizabeth 2 is to be withdrawn from service next year.

To mark the 40th anniversary of the liner's launch by the Queen in 1967 the Daily Echo has produced a unique publication that traces the history of QE2 from its inception and build, through the troubled times which forced the delay of her maiden voyage, her multi-millionpound re-engineering during the 1980s, the many ups and, quite a few, downs during an unequalled career, the like of which is unlikely ever to be seen again.

The book, QE2, A Celebration of Forty Years Service, contains dozens of photographs taken over the decades and held in the Daily Echo archives as the ship criss-crossed the seven seas carrying the name of Southampton, emblazoned on her hull, to all corners of the globe.

Crammed with fascinating facts and figures about the most famous liner in the world, the glossy 148-page publication, a strictly-limited edition, is to become highly sought-after once QE2 leaves Southampton for the last time on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 to become a floating hotel in Dubai.

The book takes readers on a tour of the liner, recounts the stories of the famous, and infamous, characters who have travelled on the ship and remembers the time the ship was targeted by an extortionist who claimed explosives had been planted on board, resulting in a crack team of SAS bomb disposal experts parachuting into mid-Atlantic to ensure QE2 was safe.  Actually there was only 1 SAS man, the rest of the 4 strong party was made up of 2 Royal Marines and a RAOC Ammunition Technician [Bomb Disposal to you and me!

Then there was the time in September 1995 when a 96ft rogue wave struck QE2 fullon, the full-scale alert when IRA explosives were discovered on board in Southampton, and Frank Sinatra's private telephone calls to arrange a discreet dinner with Princess Margaret.

£30 cash, to be paid directly to the organising committee on the day secures this item, strictly first come first served! If there are no takers prior to Glasgow then i won't waste valuable baggage space on my flight and bring something else.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:19 PM »
A bit surprised that these items on offer haven't raised any interest at all, ah well you can't win them all.

As a last effort to clear my storage cupboard of osme of my vast collectino of Cunard items let's try these;

Two sets of QE2 Luggage tags, not the latter ones that were like airline tags, but the beautiful ones that featured classic Cunard ships of the past.

I reckon that they must be worth £10 a set, to be paid in cash to The Organising Committee to go towards expenses in organising this wonderful event.

Currently these are the only items that i'll be bringing with me, unless someone wants any of the other items i've posted of course!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2017, 08:02 PM »
A bit surprised that these items on offer haven't raised any interest at all, ah well you can't win them all.

As a last effort to clear my storage cupboard of osme of my vast collectino of Cunard items let's try these;

Two sets of QE2 Luggage tags, not the latter ones that were like airline tags, but the beautiful ones that featured classic Cunard ships of the past.

I reckon that they must be worth £10 a set, to be paid in cash to The Organising Committee to go towards expenses in organising this wonderful event.

Currently these are the only items that i'll be bringing with me, unless someone wants any of the other items i've posted of course!

Andy I was also surprised that you have not had a response as it is a wonderful opportunity to purchase one of the items.  I will be sending a newsletter to conference delegates in a couple of weeks time and I will add link to this topic to see if this raises interest. 

Thanks for your effort on this to raise funds through selling surplus items.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2017, 08:23 PM »

Andy Dont be surprised, its just the nature of how it goes,   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2017, 03:20 PM »
With the Conference fastly approaching i'm making a last ditch effort to raise a few more 'shekels' for the cause!

These are my last offerings for sale with ALL proceeds gonig towards into the Conference coffers!

These two little 'critters' have been in my 'care' for many years and i have no idea as to when or where they came from.

Don't forget that there are a few other items on offer including a couple of sets of those beautiful, Cunard vintage luggage tags.

The cut off for any bids will have to be Wednesday 20th September 2017 as i have a flight to Glasgow Thursday morning.

No bids = all the items stay at home, Flybe/Easyjet are too restrictive on luggage allowance to carry 'dead cargo'!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Hi Andy

I would be interested in the keyring with the QE2 sliding model inside if it has not been allocated to someone.  You can let me know how much and I will donate to the forum. 

If the two critters are not bought I may give them a good home, but will wait and see who else is interested. 

Lynda
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:16 PM »
In addition to what Andy is offering for sale for forum funds. 

Kevin Mcghee has sent me some items to sell for forum funds:

The World Cruise Souvenir book 1977
(2 copies)

1979 World Cruise "Around the World in 80 days" Souvenir Book (1 copy)

Early menu covers showing the early QE2 at sea (2)

Postcards (6)

My apologies to Kevin that as I have busy with the planning for the conference I have not had a chance to take photos of the items.  I will take the items to the conference and if they are not sold will post photos on the forum in a couple of weeks time.

Meanwhile if anyone if interested in the items let me know.

Lynda

www.qe2event.com

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Hi Andy

I would be interested in the keyring with the QE2 sliding model inside if it has not been allocated to someone.  You can let me know how much and I will donate to the forum. 

If the two critters are not bought I may give them a good home, but will wait and see who else is interested. 

Lynda

The 'critters' are sooooo excited, they've not slept since you said you 'wanted them'!  They're starting to pack their bags and i'm filling out the 'adoption papers' now!!!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2017, 10:39 AM »
The 'critters' are sooooo excited, they've not slept since you said you 'wanted them'!  They're starting to pack their bags and i'm filling out the 'adoption papers' now!!!

Excellent news Andy.  Our rescued QE2 teddies have been told to expect to welcome new friends :)
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Excellent news Andy.  Our rescued QE2 teddies have been told to expect to welcome new friends :)

They are lovely little critters! I am sure they will make good friends with your Teddies, Lynda :) .

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2017, 12:03 PM »
There might be some 'language' difficulties, these 'critters' have been living in Devon for many years and have picked up the 'accent'!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2017, 01:07 PM »
There might be some 'language' difficulties, these 'critters' have been living in Devon for many years and have picked up the 'accent'!

No problem the teds are multi lingual- the learned many languages on QE2 - but still adjusting to the Scots language  ;D
www.qe2event.com

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2017, 01:18 PM »
No problem the teds are multi lingual- the learned many languages on QE2 - but still adjusting to the Scots language  ;D

In addition, we're also 'weaning' them off pasties and cider and onto Tunnock's and Irn Bru, with The Proclaimers on loop!

You might have to 'translate' this Lynda for our overseas followers!!