Author Topic: Terry Hately-Lowe : QE2 Maiden Voyage May 1969: Cunard House Champagne for Sale  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Terry Hateley-Lowe

THE VERY LAST, UNOPENED BOTTLE OF 1969 MAIDEN VOYAGE CUNARD VINTAGE PINK CHAMPAGNE

Hello All, my first Post and thank you for the warm welcome....
My late father (ex-WW2 Tank man) always had a penchant for great liners and was beside himself when a fellow relative returned from experiencing the trip of a lifetime on the Maiden Voyage of QE2 in '69, with a number of personalised items and carrying onboard Champagne bottles for him in tow!   
Over the following years and having enjoyed the remainder of the bounty he retained 1 single bottle - supposedly to be downed on my wedding day!
Recently, itemising his effects, we pondered what to do with this last bottle that he cherished, so took it to Wright Marshall Auctrs (Knutsford) for them to appraise it.
Peter Higson, the fine wines expert at WM did lots of background digging & checking and stated that his findings are astonishing.
In his opinion, "this was likely to be the very last remaining, unopened bottle of Cunard 'house' vintage Pink champagne, chosen for dispensing during the 1969 QE2 maiden voyage, that exists today!"

ITEM Specifics:  1 x Bottle 'Charles Chavel (Reims)' Pink Champagne : Vintage 1964 [1cm inverted volume]
Stamped CUNARD LINE in Red to right hand side of label.
We are advised that in addition to Named Brands, Cunard had their own In-House offering.
Perhaps the Charles Chavel 'brand' was designed personally/just for the Cunard Line (as the 'CC brand' itself is little known about)?

As Dad Willed the proceeds from the sale of the bottle towards the future education of his Great Grandchildren, my wife and I had a decision to make. So, rather than simply auction this unique Champagne and let it go to just any odd person, we came across this Forum and consider that it should go to someone who has a very real interest, passion & consideration for the Old Queen.

Therefore, I would be delighted for anyone to approach me directly to discuss an outright purchase of this unique Champagne with an astonishing heritage.

Telephone (UK) and email address can be supplied.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Hello Terry,

You are very welcome here -- and what a fascinating story you tell!

It is amazing that this bottle of champagne has remained intact and unopened for all these years... a truly historic piece. If only it could tell its story...

I hope that you will find time to have a look around this Forum and to enjoy QE2 memories with us.

Online Lynda Bradford

Welcome Terry and thanks for telling us your story of this fascinating piece of QE2 memorabilia.  Amazing to think as we go forward into the 50th year since QE2 was launched, that this bottle has survived since her maiden voyage, which was two years later. 

Hope you find a good home for the champagne. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Welcome, Terry, to The QE2 Story Forum, and many thanks for sharing with us your remarkable story.  Please explore The Forum as there are so very many interesting and informative topics here as well as all of us here who hold a very special place in our hearts for QE2 !  June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Tyrone Beresford aka Terry Foskett

Started by WillumBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 3
Views: 2437
Last post Jan 07, 2014, 05:58 PM
by Alan Snelson