Author Topic: Any information or pictures on Mr Rea designer of QE2 Controls  (Read 2632 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

We have received an email in admin mail box asking for pictures of QE2 controls, or anything with information that Mr Rea was part of the design team for the controls.  See below for the request:

email
I have just visited your wonderful website and I am now hoping you could help me or point me in the right direction.

I was hoping to be able to get some pictures of the controls of the QE2

My partners dad Mr Rea helped design and make the controls so I would like to get a copy so he can have something to keep from his dad who is unfortunately no longer with us

Is it possible to get the pictures of the controls? Or the blue print? Or anything with Mr Rea’s name on it to say he was  apart of the design?

Any help would be absolutely amazing
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline skilly56

Re: Any information or pictures on Mr Rea designer of QE2 Controls
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Question - when she was a steamship or a motor ship?
Propulsion controls?
Boiler controls?
Engine controls?
Power Management System?
CPP controls?
Ballast controls?
Watertight door controls?

Could go on for ever - exactly which controls are we talking about here?
Skilly

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Might it be possible to have Mr Rae's name - and possible place where the work was undertaken
Might his name be accessible in the Cunard's QE2 Archives in Liverpool?
Or even in the Archives of the company 'offices elsewhere'...?

Just guessing that it could have been the Consoles on the Bridge...or on the wall of the ECR
Maybe a photo of either or both could have a 1960's plate engraved....&Co Ltd!

Just wondering - Did John Brown's archives get saved?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Thanks Skilly and Rosie. 

I have directed the person to Glasgow University Archives, who have John Brown records.  I will also mention Liverpool archives, thanks for that suggestion Rosie.   

I will ask for Mr Rea's full name and the company name to see if that generates any memories from forum members or helps to ascertain what controls he was responsible for designing. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:32 AM »
In response to Skilly and Twynkle's questions I have received the following information about Mr Rea.  Does anyone have information or photos of the switchboard for the engine rooms.

The full name is Mr Albert James Frederick Rea he was the top draughtsman in the drawing office for Allen West that was based in Moulscombe way in Brighton

He designed the switchboards for the engine rooms for the QE2, everything from the screws needed to the full job, I have been told that he was even present to oversee the installation of the boards

I hope this is more specific for you please do let me know if I need to try and get anything else

I really appreciate any help and all help you are givng me thank you
www.qe2event.com

Offline skilly56

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2016, 11:32 AM »
2nd Attempt - typed in the answer the first time, hit 'POST', and the whole forum closed on me.

I would suggest the switchboards the gentleman was involved with were for the original build at John Brown's.

During the re-engining, the diesel-electric switchboards were supplied by GEC Controls, Rugby/Field & Grant
The MCC boards (Motor Control Centers) were supplied by BBC Schiffstechnik (Brown Boveri Corporation).
The Power Management System is a Smart 2000.

Skilly
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2016, 10:01 PM by skilly56 »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Thanks Skilly for the information, which I have passed on to the enquirer. 

I searched on the internet for the company Alan West in Brighton and found a website "My Brighton and Hove", where there was discussion and photos from people who worked there or had information.  I found a post where Albert Rea was mentioned and a photo that may be relevant.  I have passed this on to the person who made the enquiry.  If anyone has any more information specific to the contract for Alan West supplying switchboard for QE2, please post here

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__8992.aspx

"Hello Lisa. Yes, I remember Don very well. I started in the drawing office in 1961 and remember that he was there then. He smoked a lot and had the biggest ashtray in the office. It used to be full at the end of the day and he would empty it before going home. In the 1980s he was one of a group of six draughtsmen working on switchboard contracts. Others were Peter Carvell, Albert Rea, Denis Marston, Mick Emmett and Jim Stenning. Don left in about 1988 and I left in 1991.
By Peter Guy (17/07/2013)"

"There is also a topic for photos of old colleagues at Allan and West.  Maybe Albert Rea is in the photo as there is a comment from Peter Guy about someone in the photo working in the Drawing Office."

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__11302.aspx?path=0p114p437p1553p
www.qe2event.com