Author Topic: Lifeboats/Davits Removal 2016 and Discussion After That  (Read 43876 times)

Offline Peter Sutton

• Lido Diner
  • QE2 is Design and workmanship at its best
Re: Lifeboats/Davits Removal 2016 and Discussion After That
« Reply #90 on: Nov 02, 2016, 11:00 AM »
thanks Roy , well thats the end off that then , two down three to go eh , lets hope not ,at least we have a chance of her still being used in a good way , if the service the remaining engines (rebuild) at the least and get them going before the complete damage to the whole ship is un reversible , they must know the world is looking at the ship at what is going on with her , why did they not sell her to people who would have looked after her as a going concern , or did Cunard have this written into the sale to them (Hmmm) , we kept concord as a part of history and that is making money as a tourist attraction , we kept the flying scotsman and thats making money , even after spending millions on both of them (several concords actually ) just what was the problem or what IS the problem?with them , must they destroy it.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #91 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Feel the same here Peter
There were  pictures showing  crates from the engine manufacturer on the quayside after the incident, last I read indicated that she was to be a static hotel across the water, as the center piece in a waterside marina, as usual its hard to tell what the outcome will be, to me the removal of the Lifeboats   & davits is to improve the view from the windows on that deck something that Cunard would have liked to do but for the safety requirements

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #92 on: Nov 03, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Feel the same here Peter
There were  pictures showing  crates from the engine manufacturer on the quayside after the incident, last I read indicated that she was to be a static hotel across the water, as the center piece in a waterside marina, as usual its hard to tell what the outcome will be, to me the removal of the Lifeboats   & davits is to improve the view from the windows on that deck something that Cunard would have liked to do but for the safety requirements

What pictures?

Offline Peter Sutton

• Lido Diner
« Reply #93 on: Nov 04, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Hi Roy
The crates you had seen in a picture ,was the picture on the story site or some other site? I would like to see it, I wonder if new parts for the engines were in them or had they been taken off the ship? was it spares that were kept on board just in case eh, did they have MAN on the crates ? they could be old ones just kept for storage of parts for re- furb by MAN when they returned home who knows?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #94 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:53 PM »
There was lots of MAN stuff on board in 2011. I enjoyed having a mooch around the MAN maintenance room and saw them fitting new parts to an engine under rebuild.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #95 on: Nov 04, 2016, 11:58 PM »
There was lots of MAN stuff on board in 2011. I enjoyed having a mooch around the MAN maintenance room and saw them fitting new parts to an engine under rebuild.
They were still rebuilding engines at this stage?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #96 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10:52 AM »
They were still rebuilding engines at this stage?

They were just keeping them running. The work never stopped. They were keeping their options open by keeping all 9 engines in working order.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #97 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Hi Peter

I must admit I thought the picture I saw were on this site.
To answer your questions I cannot remember if it was crates or containers, defiantly from MAN containing Engine Parts for Project New Life
port of entry  Jebel Ali, as I saw them at the time the engines were damaged and they were part of that discussion I assumed they would be for there repair ( Why else publish them)
I have looked through my meager image file but they are not there this could  indicate they may have been from a locked source or had copy write issues,
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2016, 10:56 PM by Roy Warrender »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #98 on: Nov 09, 2016, 01:08 AM »
Today I received some aerial photos of QE2 at Port Rashid,it clearly shows and confirms what I posted on my Facebook group a few weeks ago the 2 harding catamarans and 1 of the red lifeboats are not to be found amongst the other lifeboats and they are not anywhere near the ship.I can't say if the been sold or moved somewhere else.

Thank you for the info.
We can only hope that these are being repaired, refitted etc - What an Absolute Travesty it would be if they have been permanently separated from the ship.
As long as QE2 is floating, and potentially being "prepared for further use", then her Tenders and red fast boat Must be treated as an integral part of her, mustn't they?
If they have been separated/ deliberately removed, or stolen, might there be legal matters to be dealt with?
Wondering once again about the contract of sale and clauses in the Owners insurance policy.

Offline Peter Sutton

• Lido Diner
« Reply #99 on: Nov 17, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Thanks Roy,for the info, reading on from Twynkle , it is looking as if they are doing what they like contract or no contract ,I for one can only assume they are acting within the terms of sale (to a point)or bending the rules , but she is still here for all to see so that is only a good thing , I can only wish they have good intensions for her , 2 years and counting ? if you all know what I am saying .
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 05:13 PM by Peter Sutton »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #100 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:41 PM »
  I for one can only assume they are acting within the terms of sale (to a point)or bending the rules   

What if they break the contract....Would Cunard take QE2 back.... ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Bob Flett

« Reply #101 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:40 AM »
Of course they wouldn't, they are well rid of her, she's history as far as they are concerned!

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #102 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:12 PM »
And carnival's response to this travesty????  I was in the queen Elizabeth in October and when referencing the QE2's plight ...... well they try to tell you she was well beyond her sell by date .... though many crew are very fond of her .... carnival still have a right on her future until 2018 .... to see her without her children, the lifeboats and davits ...... it is heartbreaking that they have been a part of her since fitting out in the Clyde  .... what is going on???  God  why can't fate bring her home ??? Even the queen Mary got a better deal than this mess

Offline pete cain

« Reply #103 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Sorry mate,
 she was never passed by her sell by date no matter what they say, she was just never given a chance , there was a loyal following out there , not everybody wants stainless steel & glass & balconies. O k, she couldn'lt last forever, but with a loyal & growing following & an understanding crew (which she had in spades), she could've still been out there strutting her stuff, o k perhaps at slower speeds to preserve mechanics however still able to trash the new babies out there,  with class, speed  & that  intangible thing called 40 years of history ,she could/should be making money for her owners, & giving joy to thousands for some years to come.
 Meantime a company with an understanding & empathy for this last great 'Classic Lady' could be making constructive plans for a well earned & well placed retirement. Alas we all know the rest, not having a go at you , but , at these nameless people 'out there' who spout off all sorts of .... .  To paraphrase, as you say  bring her home, Nah that's not going to happen, meanwhile we all stand by & witness the slow demise of a proud lady , my heartbleeds :'(

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #104 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Updated Google Earth photo of the area where the lifeboats and davits are,only 17 lifeboats are acountered for.